The Angel of Zero City: Part 19 Final

The Angel of Zero City: Part 19 Final

A Story by Andrew Colunga
"

An urban-fantasy novella. It is an untold story between the chapters of its parent book: The Gauntlet of Maltese.

"

Moving On

 

 

The entire world could wait until dawn, as far as Joseph was concerned. “Would you like anything to eat?” he asked from his kitchen. “I could … cook you up some eggs, or a sandwich. I’ve got ice cream?”


“No thanks. I … I can’t eat,” the Angel replied.


“Can’t?”


“Mm-hmm. It’s an … allergy. But I think I can drink.”


“Sure. I’ve never been able to drink alone. Take a seat.” Joseph quickly poured two glasses of whisky and brought the bottle with him to the couch. “Job well done, then,” he toasted.


The two drank in darkness, and Joseph coughed. “You’re voice,” he rasped, “it’s not menacing enough. I’m not saying you’re lacking in theatrics, but you could sound more intimidating. The first time I heard you speak I thought you were around high school age. Am I right?”


The Angel laughed. “No, but you’re close. Eh"it’s complicated. I’m afraid I’ll be stuck with this voice for a while. How about you though? You’re not exactly the hard-boiled lady-swooning detective-type. I see you’ve tried working it with the tan trench coat, but you’re not there. Have you ever considered changing your life up a bit?”


“Actually, I’ve considered it recently. I don’t know about quitting the department, but if I don’t get moving soon I won’t be able to move at all. My first step was trying to date Esmeralda, but that went"” Joseph mimed his hand as an airplane crashing into the armrest. “I’ve reconciled with my past. Why can’t other people?”


“Maybe you’re better than them?” the Angel said.


Joseph laughed and took a drink. “Guess I’ll just … move on to greener pastures.”


“I think it was a good idea, for what it’s worth,” the Angel said.


“Yeah? Thanks. Even if we did work out she might’ve run into the same rut that my ex-wife did. Everything up until the divorce seemed so easy. It used to be easy to make someone laugh or like you. Oscar is still like that though.”


“Who’s Oscar?” the Angel asked.


“My son. Him and his mother moved up to Bennett Heights years ago.”


“How is he?”


“He’s wonderful, but a lot of kids are wonderful at his age. He’ll start school in a few years. He doesn’t drive anyone too crazy, doesn’t mind sitting quietly. Before my car exploded or whatever, I would try to drive up whenever I could. This year it’s my turn have him for Thanksgiving. Finlay and his wife love him to pieces. It’s … really something I’d miss if I was gone … Anyway … anybody on your mind, oh angel of death?”


“Oh yeah, definitely. A lot of people … a lot of regrets. When people disappear they’re not like something you can find or rebuild. I’ve found it to be one of the hardest things to move on from, and if each person is a part of you then how many can you lose until there’s nothing left?”


“Here’s to feeling sorry for ourselves,” Joseph said, holding his glass out.


“Let’s try to not make a habit of it.” The Angel toasted him, and together they drank.


Joseph shouted, “And f**k people who say they’ve never had regrets!” They burst out laughing, and it was a laugh both of them needed.


“You know, the Robertson River is a pretty good place to hide a body,” Joseph said. “Especially if you drop it past the mouth to the ocean and weigh it down. Just saying.”


“So, you’ve accepted what I can do? What I have to do?


“Hey, my marriage was failing for months before it ended. You’d be surprised what I’ll overlook just to stay sane, and I’ll probably be taking your secrets to the grave.” Joseph drank, and there was silence for a short time.


At dawn, the Angel left the detective. Joseph agreed to help cover up the Angel’s activities, and he advised him to try and live for the loved ones he’s lost. “I know that’s hypocritical advice coming from me,” Joseph said, “but if everyone was right, and no one was a hypocrite, then we’d all be happy.” The angel smiled and shook the detective’s hand, through this touch he felt what Joseph was feeling, and he made him a similar request, “Get better Joseph. You don’t have to live trapped in Zero City.”

 


Over the next two years, the Hell district became even more dangerous. A new gang had emerged, and the far eastern side had been completely locked down, and it was getting harder for the prescient to pretend they were working on the problem. Joseph accepted a lieutenant promotion, and he quickly made a lot of enemies within the prescient. He moved apartments, kept Finlay close, and watched his back more often. Change was dangerous, and Joseph innately hardened up.


Dawn would be coming soon, and Joseph checked the block up and down before jogging away from the crime scene. His breath swirled before him, and his sides were starting to prick, but every day he managed to run a little farther.

© 2014 Andrew Colunga


Author's Note

Andrew Colunga
If you've read through every part then I hope you enjoyed it. <3 The flashback story of Joseph meeting the Angel takes place between Chapters 3 and 4 of The Gauntlet of Maltese (which is available on Lulu and Amazon.) I hope that if you haven't read The Gauntlet that any misunderstood references didn't distract too much (the geography of Zero City/the red lightening/the gauntlet/the room in Hell from the first part before the flashback/etc.) Some characters like Mr. Chong and Nick were minor characters from Gauntlet, and as such their small scenes were mostly intended as cameos. I have other short stories planned as expansions to Gauntlet, but for now I hope you've found this story interesting at least.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on May 4, 2014
Last Updated on May 4, 2014
Tags: urban, fantasy, urban-fantasy

Author

Andrew Colunga
Andrew Colunga

Los Angeles, CA



About
Artist and Writer from LA. http://wonderwig.deviantart.com/ http://wonderwig.tumblr.com/ https://www.facebook.com/GauntletOfMaltese https://www.facebook.com/andycolunga more..

Writing