Colours

Colours

A Story by AndrewH
"

A very short story about discrimination. For more of my writing, go to andrewhenleywriting.wordpress.com

"

I don’t belong here. There’s a stench of colour and dirt. And sweat. The colours always stink of sweat. Not like us whites. Pristine, supreme. This is why we need segregation. If I stay here much longer, I’ll become one of them. I could turn into any colour under the sun. And who’d want me then? It’s happened before. Whites spend too long with the colours, and they become coloured. Not welcome anywhere. Too coloured for the whites to want them, but the colours don’t want you either, because they know you’re really white. Eventually, you just get thrown out with the rest of the trash.

 

I need to get out of here. If I become coloured, I’ll never be able to play cricket or tennis again! I scream but no one hears me. But a couple of hours later, someone comes and opens the cupboard and carries me downstairs with the colours. He puts me in the machine and that’s it. I’m dead. I’m… coloured.

 

But just before he turns the machine on, he spots me, takes me back upstairs and puts me back in the sock drawer with my wife. I’m all white.

© 2013 AndrewH


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on June 7, 2013
Last Updated on June 7, 2013
Tags: short story