The Merry Squire and The Mole

The Merry Squire and The Mole

A Story by Stan Lee
"

Dedicated to Louie B, who always seems to enjoy ye olde English tales of humor!

"
There once was a squire who, mounted on his thoroughbred, perchanced upon a mole on the wayside by whence he wast travelling.

"Hiy!" exclaimed this squire as he didst bring his steed to a standstill. "Who art thou? And whenst comest thou?"

The mole answering didst reply, "Noble squire, I ask that thou mightest remove thy mighty feet from before my face for these doth smell as the muck of dirty animals such as even I despise."

"What didst thou speak?" roared the squire, teetering against the reign of his faithful equestrian companion. "Hearest thou my demand, insignificant creature of the ground! Speak up! for I canst not hear thee!"

"Oh hush thy voice," saith the mole to the squire. "Thy voice doth sound to my ears as the babbling brooks, and thy whole body, yay, it reeks of the product whence comes from moulded potatoes."


Thus there wast a muddled silence for lo, this brave mole continued to stand its ground whilst his adversary didst pause, steadying his feet.

Thence asked that squire again, "Why doth thou remain silent mole?" At whence he didst bring his hand sharply to his forehead.

"What a foolish fellow I am!" cried he. "Everyone knows that moles can't speak!" And chuckling to himself, he went on his merry way.

© 2017 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
Appreciate any feedback!

MANY THANKS TO http://www.writerscafe.org/JTEVERGREEN FOR HIS HUGE HELP!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yeesh, that mole is ruthless! I thought it was really funny how the two characters had two very different conversations because the squire couldn't hear the mole. The ending was awesome. Maybe moles really do talk but we just can't hear them!

Posted 7 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review Hannah. I'm glad you thought of that because apart from making you laugh I wa.. read more
AquaWater5674

7 Years Ago

Hannah...really cute review..lol do moles talk?
Debbie
That's me coming home from you know where.
Greenhouses quake as i talk my way through the dark.
Great story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reading.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
A cheeky little sod that mole, a smile inducing piece to start the day on the right note. Thank you A

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Hi Gee, Thanks for your review. Glad you liked it. :)
Dear Andronicus
Oh my this was so great not to mention the wonderful subtitle Ye olde english humour. I have one experience with a mole where I was coming off a step onto my sidewalk and a mole was busily digging. I just stood and watched him! I think he finally smelled me? and went back down. Hence your reference to the awfull smell of muck of dirty animals which even I despise.................Pretty cool writing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

I have never seen a mole in my travels but I did see some mole hills once. It seemed fitting that an.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
1VJ
Oh, you went old school with this one, I always knew those critters were cheeky. :)

Amusing read any way it's written.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks Paloma. :)
Very fun! It reminds me of a Monty Python skit too. I read it a few times and laughed every time. Such a brash mole!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much Chip! I'm so glad to hear this, because I laugh every time too, even though I know.. read more
This is hilarious! I love the mole's brazen and ballsy attitude, and the simple misunderstanding. It makes one wonder if this isn't the way conversations between man and mole really go. Perhaps the mole simply thought his adversary was simply too awestruck by the mole's audacity to respond.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks Clifford!! :) So happy that you found it hilarious! Perhaps all moles talk like this but we'r.. read more
I like this, sort of monty pythonish squire. That was one brave mole.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad you like it
'"Oh hush thy voice," saith the mole to the squire. "Thy voice doth sound to my ears as the babbling brooks, and thy whole body, yay, it reeks of the product whence comes from moulded potatoes." .. What an impertinence of mole!

From whenst came this weird language, an', of course, perchance an' mayhaps the extraordinariness of said stinkin' squire. Methinks he had supped a touch too much of that moulded potato wine. As for mole, an adventurer he, with poise handled in/with dexterous fun by his creator!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

From whenst comest said stinkin' squire and merry mole? Why, it cameth from my pen and not one drop .. read more
emmajoy

7 Years Ago

Smiles and stories are the wine of life!
I think that this type of writing is very interesting, as the old English really makes you analyze each sentence. Cute, fun story, and I would love to see more like this! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


veck

7 Years Ago

It's typically very hard to make me laugh, but I'll admit, I did smirk at the end :P
Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

:D lol, I'm happy with a smirk. Thanks again.
veck

7 Years Ago

Of course! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2391 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 20, 2016
Last Updated on May 6, 2017

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..