The Merry Squire and The Mole

The Merry Squire and The Mole

A Story by Stan Lee
"

Dedicated to Louie B, who always seems to enjoy ye olde English tales of humor!

"
There once was a squire who, mounted on his thoroughbred, perchanced upon a mole on the wayside by whence he wast travelling.

"Hiy!" exclaimed this squire as he didst bring his steed to a standstill. "Who art thou? And whenst comest thou?"

The mole answering didst reply, "Noble squire, I ask that thou mightest remove thy mighty feet from before my face for these doth smell as the muck of dirty animals such as even I despise."

"What didst thou speak?" roared the squire, teetering against the reign of his faithful equestrian companion. "Hearest thou my demand, insignificant creature of the ground! Speak up! for I canst not hear thee!"

"Oh hush thy voice," saith the mole to the squire. "Thy voice doth sound to my ears as the babbling brooks, and thy whole body, yay, it reeks of the product whence comes from moulded potatoes."


Thus there wast a muddled silence for lo, this brave mole continued to stand its ground whilst his adversary didst pause, steadying his feet.

Thence asked that squire again, "Why doth thou remain silent mole?" At whence he didst bring his hand sharply to his forehead.

"What a foolish fellow I am!" cried he. "Everyone knows that moles can't speak!" And chuckling to himself, he went on his merry way.

© 2017 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
Appreciate any feedback!

MANY THANKS TO http://www.writerscafe.org/JTEVERGREEN FOR HIS HUGE HELP!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your "olde English" style of writing isn't QUITE the same as one usually expects for the genre . . . kind of like your own original twist on the "sound" that you're going for, which I enjoy very much. Sometimes people go "too heavy" on such a sound, making it a read that's hard to plow thru. But you've done an excellent job of balancing the sound & also maintaining easy readability. It's always a pleasure to read a quick vignette written playfully such as this.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging review barleygirl. I'm not sure if it is exactly ".. read more
This is a fun light hearted old style story. Loved it. Keep it up.

Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Many thanks for reading and reviewing my story. I'm glad you liked it. It was fun to write too! :)
I love the old-time talk in this. It makes the story so much better. Also the ending is pretty good. Reminds me of a fairy-tale, but told in old language. Love it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot Dante. The old language was the whole basis for writing this actually. What I mean is t.. read more
Not here

7 Years Ago

That's really interesting :)
I like stories like that.
Pretty good.

Nothing like a good little cup of denial to take care of your troubles.
A wonderful chap, this mole.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Many thanks LastMonth. :) I'm glad you like this story and this mole. You're right, he is a wonderfu.. read more
Haha. Cute story. :)
Made me smile.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

:) Thanks Ana. Glad you liked it.
This piece did exactly what you set out to do when writing it. (I think...) Made me chuckle and kept me entertained for a minute or two. Well Done!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Fantastic :) That's good to hear. Score 1 for a chuckle!! Thanks for reading and reviewing.
.. read more
Hey, this is classic! Really entertaining - a real nice piece of work. Infectiously good humoured (does that make sense: "good humoured"?...)

Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Yay! Glad you think so! :) Yes, good humored does make sense. Thank you very much for reading and re.. read more
Very funy and original. Please read my work as well. Thank you


Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thank you.
This is awesome!!! I enjoyed your choice of words and it brought a smile to my face. One day you'll have to put all of your stories into a book and get it published, they're a pleasure to read.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Yesss!! So glad it made you smile!! :)
Awww, and you're making me blush... so kind! Thank yo.. read more
What a fun little tale. Reminds me of arguing with my 18-month-old daughter one day when she climbed into the driver's seat and insisted on being allowed to drive home. I argued with her for quite a while. Finally my husband came out and just picked her up and put her in her car seat! You have wrought a little gem -- love the use of the Old English. It makes me wonder about the wondrous places your mind goes. Give us more!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thank you Taylor! Your encouraging and amusing review made my day. :) I'm glad you liked my tale and.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2385 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 20, 2016
Last Updated on May 6, 2017

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cully Cully

A Story by Ken Simm.