Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Ang3l
"

Adrian is camping within the forest near his old childhood home, however a terrible nightmare awakens him. What's more odd is it's the same nightmare he used to have when he was younger.

"

Hunter was dodging trees left and right, running through the thick forest as fast as he can. His adrenaline was at a new peak, he couldn't feel the icy snaps of wind attacking his exposed skin or the buckling of his ankles from the exhaustion of escaping whatever was chasing him. Every few seconds he would hear the ear shattering screech and the ringing in his ears was almost a whisper to his mind begging him to look back and make eye contact with the unreal creature, but he wouldn't. His flight response has kicked in and his body had no connection to his mental thoughts at all. Next thing he knew he could hear the footsteps echoing his, he felt the presence of this…thing trying to reach out and grab the hood of his shredded black jacket.

 

He knew there was no more running, he was done for, and he would never make it to Aaron’s house at this rate. But as quickly as his mind came to the conclusion that he was dead, his instincts told him something else, it’s time to fight. He threw his weight forward into the thick mud that has built up over the weeks rain storm, whatever was chasing him screeched out in surprise and tripped over his limp body smashing into the ground beside him.

 

Hunter, dazed and unclear of what to do from here frantically tried to clear his face of the mud, it felt like swarms of incorporeal hornets were striking his eyes. He stood blinking furiously getting a blurry slideshow of the human shape crawling at him on all fours; its yellow eyes pierced the haze of dirt as if it was peering deep into his soul. He backed up swinging wildly trying to judge where exactly it stood before him but it was too late, the dark human mass tackled him back into the mud digging its long finger nails into his wrists to hold Hunter down, he could do nothing but yell for help at the distant city lights.

 

 As he struggled with every last bit of strength he had his vision slowly tuned back into reality, the being was human with rows of what looked similar to shark teeth and his eyes were of a cat but with the glow of two lonely street lamps. Its hiss grew louder as it arched like a wolf preparing to pounce, its hungry stare turned to a sick entertained grin before lunging at Hunters face with a loud scream and then, darkness…Not a thing but distant echoes crossing a dark void of screaming and the patter of heavy rain.

 

 

 

 

 

“Adrian! Wake up!” Lilly yelled out trying to shake Hunter awake from his nightmare, he was pale and breathing in shallow fast paced breaths as if he was having a panic attack. “Adrian, don’t do this to me, wake up now!” Suddenly Hunter let in a deep breath and jolted forward, he was in a cold sweat and numb all over. His hands would not stop shaking and he couldn't see straight, his mind was blank and he couldn't remember where he was or what was going on. “Hunter… Everything is going to be okay, I’m here.” Lilly was almost as pale as he was, seeing him like this was terrifying to her. He talked about having night terrors like this as a child but as long as she knew him she’s never seen it happen once. “I’m fine… Just, give me some time to straighten out my thoughts…”

 

Hunter could barely speak through his shallow breaths, but his hands were finally starting to calm. He didn't get it; he hasn't had a night terror since he was twelve, and now there suddenly back? It couldn't be more than a coincidence; he left this town at that age and the first night back, camping in the woods nearby where his old home used to be, there back. His thoughts were interrupted by the worried stare from his fiance, he felt terrible for letting her see him like this. “I’m okay baby, really.” He said forcing a smile across his lips.

 

Hunter could never stand seeing Lilly upset or scared, she had the most beautiful green eyes and perfect tone of skin color, not to tan, and not to white. Her blonde hair would reach down to her mid back, if it wasn't all messed up. He could obviously tell she tossed and turned allot in the night from the hard ground and the dry, hot, still air within the tent. She was not the camping kind of person but whenever she was with Hunter she enjoyed every minute, whether it be camping, fishing, or even hiking.

 

“Seriously Lilly, I’ll be fine. I’m going to step out for a smoke okay?” He leaned in to give her a small kiss, her skin almost instantly got its color back as she blushed slightly and smiled. “Okay Adrian, just tell me if you need anything. I’m going to try to sleep a bit more, it’s still early.” She pulled the sleeping bag back over her, trying for the life of her to get comfy again, it took her hours to finally fall asleep and then Hunter’s shouting woke her forty five minutes into her sleep. “Come on Lilly, you’re always supposed to wake up early while camping!” he looked back at her with a sly grin as she just gave him the finger. He laughed and stepped outside of the tent, temporarily blinded by the rising sun coming up over the mountains.

 

“Lilly, you’re missing a beautiful sight.” He said in a sarcastic voice, reaching for his pocket to pull out a fancy metal cigarette holder. It had elegant designs on it that resembled an image of a dying rose, a symbol that his parents say used to be their families crest. He loved the design so got a custom made case and matching zippo lighter to go with it. He popped out a cigarette and flicked the zippo, inhaling the smoke deeply and slowly letting it out with a sigh. The nicotine almost immediately calmed his shakes.

 

Hunter stared off into the sunset thinking about the dream; it was the same one as when he was younger. Same forest, same monster, same ending… Hunter leaned back against a tree crossing his arms in thought, maybe he needed to see his old doctor here in town, he hasn't talked to him since the move nine years ago but he knows all about the dreams.

 

“Help me! Somebody please!” Hunter heard a deathly scream in the distance; he almost instantly looked out in that direction and yelled back out to the unknown voice. “What’s wrong!? Are you okay!?” The screams continued with no reply, Hunter leaped back into the tent and started digging through his backpack, pulling out the old 9mm Beretta he kept around whenever he went camping. Hunter looked over at Lilly and she was still dead asleep, he couldn't wake her up, not after this morning’s scare.

 

Hunter ran back out of the tent and stood still, waiting for another cry for help to pinpoint the unknown voice. “Somebody please!” He heard it again east of the camp near his old house. Hunter clicked off the safety on the pistol and began to run off in the same direction. “Don’t worry! I’m coming!” Hunter didn't know what to expect to find. Out here in these woods, allot of things could happen. Stuck in a bear trap, attacked by the local wildlife, or attacked by the local people… This town wasn't the most pleasant though they were roughly an hour out from the main town. All he knew is that somebody screaming that loudly and incoherently was in big trouble.



© 2012 Ang3l


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on November 20, 2012
Last Updated on November 20, 2012
Tags: Horror, Suspense, Mystery, Survival


Author

Ang3l
Ang3l

Lincoln, CA



Writing
Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Ang3l