Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emi

Chapter 1



Grow up with a family of police officers and you should feel safe in your hometown, right? Maybe that’s the case somewhere in the world, but not in Jett City, home of the largest concentration of Hexes in history. Not that it was a fair comparison since Hex was a newer term, only used for the last fifty years or so. Before that they were undoubtedly the witches and wizards of times past. Now they are the Hexes, super powered humans with a long established reputation. This has caused many people to believe that Hexes are thugs just waiting in dark corners to pounce on unsuspecting people.

Despite his family of officers who had seen only the bad side of Hexes, Zach Wallace didn’t have much of an opinion when it came to them. While walking home one night he had his first encounter with a Hex. Frankly, he should have known better than to go into the back streets alone, but it was late and he was tired so he ignored common sense and took the shortcut. With every step the feeling of foreboding grew stronger until he heard a loud whoosh and a line of fire shot past him. He stumbled in shock and collided with a nearby building, before landing on the sidewalk. Zach looked down the street and saw a man with spiky hair approaching, his hands engulfed in flames.

“Hand over your wallet,” he growled threateningly.

Zach leapt to his feet to run, but immediately tripped over a trash can and hit the pavement beneath a lamp post.
“Your money, now!” the man said standing over him. “Otherwise, you’ll receive a free cremation.”

Zach was horrified, he tried reaching for his back pocket, but the messages from his brain were indecipherable by the time they reached his arm. Suddenly the light above them flickered and brightened.

“Oh no,” said the man impatiently. “Not her again.”

“Yes me, again,” said a voice.

Zach couldn’t believe his eyes, sitting atop the lamp post was a teenage girl.

“Aren’t you tired of this game, Fireball?” she asked before slipping off the lamp and landing with unnatural ease between the two.

“Not nearly as tired as I am of that nickname,” he grumbled.

The girl’s hair was a stunning shade of red and combined with the cut looked very familiar, but Zach couldn’t remember why.

“Then find something better to do with your powers instead of robbing kids,” she said bravely, crossing her arms.

The man cursed furiously and threw his deadly fire. Her hands exploded with white light as she positioned them before her and cast a far more dazzling shot than the scorching beam from her opponent. They met halfway with an echoing blast that cancelled out both.

“You never win,” she said coolly. “Go home before you get hurt.”

“Back at ya,” he replied swinging a blazing punch.

She caught his fist in her glowing left hand and fired a beam of light into his chest with her other hand. He hit the ground several feet away and dashed off at lightning speed. The girl turned to Zach with her left hand clutched to her stomach.

“Time to go,” she said grabbing his arm.

As she helped him up Zach caught sight of the hand she was protecting and how badly it was burned. One glance at the blisters, blood and charred skin made his head spin until he looked away.

“You need to get home,” she continued gently pushing him down the road. “If you can’t avoid walking alone at night you should stay in well populated areas.”
“I know that,” Zach replied stunned.

He couldn’t believe how calm she was or the sweet smile on her face.

“Good, now get moving, I may not be here to help you the next time,” she said cheerfully giving him a light shove forward.

Zach staggered slightly and gazed back at her, she was standing under another lamp still shielding her hand.

“I can’t just leave you like this,” he said concerned.

Her smile widened “Don’t worry,” she said softly. “We’ll see each other again soon.”
Without warning she faded into the light and vanished.



Zach didn’t say a word to his family, since they were far too biased to believe it anyway. Nobody had ever heard of a Hex protecting someone from another Hex, especially not his family of uniforms. However, his initial disbelief surrounding the incident dissolved at school the next day when he saw his red headed rescuer in his homeroom class.






© 2014 Emi


Author's Note

Emi
Third round of corrections are done, feel free to tell me if I missed anything.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think that the tone could be more consistent, and there could be more descriptions, but overall, an interesting start. This was a great beginning chapter, really pulled the reader into their world, and held onto them. Nice job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


not bad. Kinda of a anti-hero feel to the girl.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really liked it, except for the beginning transition (suddenly switches from third person omniscent to third person limited, right at the beginning of the action). Really could use more detail, seemed kind of sketchy at times. But I am very curious to read on!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very intersting story line but I have a few concerns. You are telling the story not helping me relive the tale you are telling. You need more details. I know what you are tring to say but I can't feel your story. Also how does she get of the lamp post. You never bring her to the ground and yet she is suddenly on ground level. You might try just starting her there say at the end of the alley or somehthing. Great job with your grammer and spelling. I have never been so good at spelling as you are. I could not find any mistakes there. Very nice.

Posted 13 Years Ago


i think the plot of this was pretty eye catching...

Posted 13 Years Ago


i think the plot is really good. i find the story really interesting so far. and im waiting for more. good job. :D

Posted 13 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1034 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on January 23, 2014
Tags: Urban Fantasy, Superpowers, Romance


Author

Emi
Emi

Windsor, Canada



About
I've been writing since I was thirteen, it started with poetry since it was the only way for me to express my feelings at the time but since then I've moved into novels. I've been working hard on .. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Emi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 29 Chapter 29

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 7 Chapter 7

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi