Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Emi

Chapter 7

 


Zach was overjoyed, he had great news, but was late for homeroom and couldn’t tell Gwen yet. Class had never seemed so incessant, by the end of second period he practically leapt from his seat. After rushing through the lunch line he found Gwen at her usual table with Kate.

“Hey,” he whispered in her ear.

She giggled as he sat next to her, Kate rolled her eyes.

“You’re in a good mood,” Gwen said sweetly.

“Yes I am,” he agreed, grinning from ear to ear. “Jed’s not going to be drinking anytime soon.”

“It worked?” she asked excitedly.

“What?” Kate asked quickly.

“Your best friend is both a thief and a genius,” he said proudly.

Kate choked on her drink and spilled it on the table.

“Zach, don’t scare her,” Gwen said with gentle criticism, passing Kate a handful of napkins.

“Sorry, couldn’t resist,” he laughed.

Gwen shook her head cheerfully.

“I dealt with a drunk last night,” she said simply.

“What does that have to do with being a thief?” Kate asked with one eyebrow raised.

“It was a guy I was with at the restaurant, take a wild guess which one,” Zach explained.

“The idiot looking for a date?”

“That’s him, we’re on a basketball team together. Unfortunately he can’t seem to grasp the concept of moderation,” he told her. “Every time I see him he has a flask, when he tried to grab Gwen she swiped it from his pocket. That was exactly what we needed to get his old man to listen, Dad and I paid them a visit this morning. You should have seen his face.”

Gwen smiled warmly and took a sip of her water.

“As long as he doesn’t try to jump anymore girls, then I’m happy,” Gwen said.

“I doubt it, other than school he’s not allowed out of the house,” Zach told her.

“Good,” Gwen said relieved.

“Though I don’t understand why you didn’t just kick his sorry hide in the first place,” he said curiously.

“I couldn’t do that, he’s a Normal,” Gwen replied seriously.

Zach stared at her confused.

“Sorry, Normals is a term Hexes tend to use for regular people. I hear it a lot during my nightlife, must have worn off on me,” Gwen explained.

“Wouldn’t surprise me,” Kate commented. “However, I don’t think that’s what he was wondering about.”

“Oh, right,” she said. “Since I’m a Hex, I’m far too strong to fight regular people, in fact if they attack me I have to lower my guard so they take less damage.”

“I understand,” he said sympathetically. “Wait, if you can lower your defences, then couldn’t you reduce your strength?”

“Theoretically,” Gwen said coyly. “However, I’m not willing to try, people have no problem going to the authorities and saying ‘A Hex attacked me for no reason.’ Frankly I feel we get enough negative press without my adding to it.”

“True,” Zach agreed. “So you have to be really careful, huh?”

“She’s had plenty of practice,” said Kate without looking at him.

“I figured that out when I met Fireball,” he said with a degree of annoyance before turning to Gwen. “How long have you been pursuing your nightlife?”

“Hmm,” Gwen hummed thoughtfully. “Since I was about . . . thirteen.”

Zach missed a breath and choked.

“Are you okay?” she asked rubbing his back.

“Yeah,” he coughed. “Just a bit surprised, I didn’t think it was that extensive. Hang on you haven’t lived alone that long have you?”

A sadness crept into her expression and she took her hand off his back.

“No,” she said softly. “I moved in the summer before starting high school.”

Zach’s jaw dropped, “Why?”

“My parents don’t approve of me,” she said in a monotone.

Kate glanced away, she knew this story very well and hated every detail.

“Oh,” he whispered.

Gwen was always so positive, you would never know her domestic life was complicated.

“I . . . sorry. I shouldn’t have asked,” Zach said supportively stroking her hair.

“You don’t have to apologize for being curious,” Gwen told him lightly. “My parents made their choice and although I don’t like to talk about it, I feel no anger toward them.”

Zach could hardly believe his ears. How could anyone be rejected by their parents, have to leave home at fourteen, yet feel no resentment? He doubted he could be so strong, they may not always get along, but he was comfortable living with his family.

“It sounds worse than it is,” she said as if she had read his mind. “I go to Katie’s for the holidays, her parents aren’t so . . .”

“Stiff,” Kate finished for her.

“That’s kind of harsh,” Gwen said shrugging. “Accurate, but harsh.”

Kate snorted sarcastically making Gwen giggle. Zach leaned over and gently kissed her on the forehead, unable to find a better way to express just how amazing she was to him. Gwen glowed, Kate moaned and moved her gaze to her lunch tray. It seemed she was going to have to get used to their public displays of affection.


Gwen left the building after gym, thrilled to have been able to use both hands again. Katie was late, probably lost her books in that landfill of a locker. She didn’t mind waiting, the breeze was cool and fresh and felt great after a long phys-ed class.

“Well, well, well, look who we have here.”

Uh oh, Gwen recognized that voice and smell, both meant trouble.

“Hi Kelli,” she said calmly.

“Don’t ‘hi’ me,” Kelli hissed, flanked by her three friends. “I want to know what kind of spell you cast on Zach.”

That was direct . . . wait . . . what did she say?

“Excuse me?” Gwen asked, sure that she had heard wrong.

“You did something to him, Hex,” she said frigidly. “Why else would he want to be with you when he’s never shown any interest in us?”

Gwen’s heart fell, she had expected this, no one thought she was good enough for Zach, least of all Kelli and her entourage.

“Maybe he wanted a change,” she said meekly.

Apparently this was the wrong thing to say.

Kelli grabbed her by the shirt, “You piece of . . .”

“HEY!”

Oh thank God. Kate came running over with Zach walking several steps behind. Gwen breathed a huge sigh of relief as Kelli released her and Kate stepped between them.

“What’s going on?” Zach asked.

Gwen looked away, she wasn’t going to give Kelli any more ammunition by telling him what she had said.

“Nothing,” she whispered. “Come on Katie, we have to get ready for work.”

“Wha . . .”

Gwen took her by the wrist and pulled her out of the school yard.

“What was that about?” Zach asked.

“Guess she can’t handle hearing peoples’ opinions about your relationship,” said Kelli airily.

Zach frowned at her tone, he may not know much about women, but just saying nothing happened didn’t make it true.

“You’d better not be upsetting her,” he said sternly. “I’m going out with Gwen and I won’t let you or your friends hurt her.”

He left in a huff and the girl on Kelli’s left turned to her.

“It might be best to let this go Kelli,” she said.

“I am not giving up without a fight, red has no clue what she’s up against,” said Kelli hotly.


After helping with the closing Gwen left the restaurant, she took a deep breath of the clear night air and noticed a scent that didn’t belong in the area. She had no problem identifying it.

“Zach,” she said quietly.

Sure enough, Zach stepped out of a nearby shadow with an amused smile.

“I don’t think that’s ever going to get old,” he laughed.

“You’d be surprised,” she said walking up to him. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“I was worried, you seemed troubled when you left this afternoon,” he said.

Gwen bowed her head shyly, unsuccessfully hiding her warm cheeks.

“You’re so sweet,” she hummed hugging his arm.

He gazed at her peaceful expression and feeling blissful, his smile widened.

“So, you want to tell me what Kelli said?” he asked softly.

Her face instantly saddened, she stepped away slowly causing Zach’s concern to rise.

“No,” she whispered refusing to look him in the eye.

“Why?”

“It’s what she’d want me to do,” Gwen replied unhappily.

“I don’t understand,” he said moving toward her.

She sighed and sat on the low brick wall in front of the patio.

“I knew most people would say I was not fit for you,” she told him brushing back one of her loose strands. “I anticipated trouble, but it still stings.”

Zach took a seat next to her, “Of course.”

“I don’t want to seem like a damsel trying to make Kelli look bad,” she said rolling a stone under her foot.

“Ah, I see,” he said attentively. “Well . . . I don’t have a high opinion of Kelli as it is, she’s just one of the people who used to be in our groups. She tends to bother others which I obviously don’t approve of, but if she’s said something particularly hurtful I want to help you feel better.”

Gwen chuckled.

“You won’t overreact right?” she asked cockily.

“Cross my heart,” he said raising his right hand.

“She . . . she seems to think I’m using my powers to make you like me, against your will,” she sighed staring at the sidewalk.

“Like mind control?” he asked frowning.

She shrugged and nodded in one smooth motion.

“That’s crazy,” he said bluntly. “You manipulate light, how could you use that to control people?”

“I can’t,” she laughed tiredly. “Just remember, Katie and you are the only ones in school who know my actual abilities.”

“True, but still is there a type of Hex who could affect someone that way?” he asked.

“I highly doubt it,” she replied. “I’ve read of ones with mental powers, but no, it would take too much energy to maintain control of someone for any length of time.”

“Yeah . . . wait, read?” he said startled. “There are books on the Hexes?”

“It’s a long story,” she told him, then sighed heavily. “Anyway, the point is if Kelli believes this and gets other people to accept it we could have a major problem.”

“I wouldn’t say major,” Zach said fairly. “Few people are dumb enough to pay any attention to Kelli and those who are, aren’t capable of causing much trouble.”

“Hmm, I guess you’re right,” she muttered. “This is a first for me so I’m feeling a bit skittish.”

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders comfortingly making her move closer.

“It’s okay,” he hummed. “This is kind of new to me too, I’ve never felt so close to anyone. Not even those I’ve known all my life.”

“Love’s a funny thing,” she agreed quietly. “It’s probably best to ignore Kelli for now, if she does something totally outrageous, then we can freak out.”

“Exactly,” he said cheerily.

Gwen leaned in close and brushed her lips against his. His whole body from his lips to his toes tingled as she pulled away.

“Thank you, Zach.”





© 2014 Emi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aww! The end was sooo sweet!! I love Gwen's personality and Zach's protectiveness even though they are from two diferent worlds. Theres a touch of drama in this chapter which adds some nice foreshadowing. These get better and better!

Posted 12 Years Ago


oh thier so cute. This pinky is quite the character. Very interesting. wonderful chapter

Posted 13 Years Ago


hahaha pinky seems like an interesting character. i love the little bumps they have to go through

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

543 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on January 23, 2014
Tags: Urban Fantasy, Superpowers, Romance


Author

Emi
Emi

Windsor, Canada



About
I've been writing since I was thirteen, it started with poetry since it was the only way for me to express my feelings at the time but since then I've moved into novels. I've been working hard on .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 11 Chapter 11

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 24 Chapter 24

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 29 Chapter 29

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 25 Chapter 25

A Chapter by Emi