Chapter 12

Chapter 12

A Chapter by Emi

Chapter 12

 

CRASH!

“S**t!”

“Daddy.”

Gwen wasn’t used to transporting four people so her aim was slightly off, depending on your point of view. Fireball tripped over a kitchen chair the moment they arrived and Zach was barely inches from ending up on her table. When he moved aside he nearly stepped on Gwen who was sprawled across the floor with her hair over her face. She tried to land everyone on their feet, but even with Zach and Fireball beside her Gwen’s legs refused to hold her weight. Fortunately, she avoided hitting Lesley on the way down.

“Zach,” she wheezed.

He understood right away and ran to the light switches. After flicking them all on he walked to the cupboards, pulled out a glass and filled it at the sink.

“Is everyone okay?” she asked as Zach handed her the water.

“Isn’t that what we should be asking you?” he said worriedly as she emptied the glass.

It wasn’t until he asked that he noticed the strange dark outline surrounding her.

“Sorry, the strain from the three of you was more than I was expecting,” she said and upon seeing Zach’s expression glanced at her arm. “Oh, it’s nothing I’m just drained so my body is absorbing light faster than usual.”

Gwen grabbed the edge of the table and returned to her feet.

“Actually,” she said looking again. “It’s not so bad, a couple of centimetres, if you ever see a few inches, then you should be concerned.”

She walked to the counter, dropped the glass in the sink, then held her head as a wave of dizziness hit her. She felt Zach’s hands on her arms and leaned back until she saw Lesley clinging to her dad’s leg.

“You should call the station before that guy rouses,” Gwen said softly.

“Sure.”

Zach walked toward the phone and Gwen turned to Lesley.

“How about a peanut butter and honey sandwich?” she asked brightly.

“Yes, please!”

Gwen laughed at her enthusiasm and retrieved the ingredients from the cupboards.

“Sorry about the ride, but there really is no good warning,” she said placing a slice of bread on a plate and smothering it with smooth peanut butter.

“I thought it was pretty,” Lesley said skipping next to her. “You’re going to cut off the crusts, right?”

“Of course,” Gwen said leaving the knife on the counter and grabbing the honey.

Fireball watched silently as Gwen finished the sandwich and carefully removed the crusts, saving as much bread as she could.

“Thanks man . . . right . . . bye,” Zach said, then hung up.

“Everything okay?” Gwen asked quickly.

“Yeah, didn’t ask many questions,” he replied grinning.

Gwen’s posture relaxed and she handed the sandwich to Lesley who accepted it with hungry enthusiasm.

“Tell you what,” Gwen said before she could take a bite. “Why don’t you watch TV with Zach while you eat?”

“Okay!” she sang before hurrying to Zach’s side and taking his hand.

He gave Gwen a puzzled glance as Lesley dragged him toward the couch.

“Channel 42,” was all she said to him.

Once they were otherwise engaged, Gwen turned to Fireball.

“Take a seat,” she told him easing into a chair.

He didn’t move, normally she would calmly talk to him, but she was tired and not in the mood to be polite.

“I need to understand your circumstances before I can help,” she said softly, but firmly. “Sit.”

He sat.

“Spill.”

He did and boy it was a story. Lesley’s mother had abandoned them two years ago for reasons known only to her. He tried to work, but with a young daughter and no one to watch her it was more or less impossible so he resorted to stealing. With no permanent home Lesley couldn’t go to school which made him even more desperate. Gwen listened carefully, leaning on the table and rubbing her forehead as pain slowly crept into her body. It was going to be even worse tomorrow and she dreaded the thought.

“Okay,” she sighed when he finished. “Obviously, the only way I’m going to keep you out of trouble is to fix your problem.”

His face was a mix of surprise and fatigue as she rose from her seat.

“I think I have just the thing.”

She shuffled to the phone and called the one person with the ability to fix everything.

“Vera, it’s me,” she said before the person on the other end could say hello.

“Oh dear, why do I have a feeling this isn’t a social call, Gwen?” Vera asked unenthusiastically.

“Like it ever is, I need a favour.”

“What is it this time love, housing?”

“Sort of,” she said glancing at Fireball. “Tell me, we still need a maintenance man, right?”

“Oh no, who have you brought home now?”

“I have my reasons Vera.”

“I’m aware of that, would you mind sharing some of them with me?”

“If I must,” Gwen said dramatically. “He’s a single father with a daughter too young to stay alone for any length of time. She hasn’t been to school yet so we’d have to get her into one. Not to mention an advance for clothing essentials. With her father working for the building she can follow along even when someone calls on him. You’re the first person I thought of Vera.”

There was a long pause on the other end of the line, Gwen gave her a chance to consider.

“You don’t need me to repeat that do you?” she asked after a while.

“I want to talk to him,” Vera replied flatly.

She didn’t say a word, but held out the phone for Fireball and grabbed an apple off the table when he accepted. While taking large bites Gwen rested against her fridge and watched Lesley and Zach in the living room. They both looked so cute she was able to block out the world around her, but not the growing ache, that was much harder to ignore. She had become immersed in watching the cartoon mouse outsmart his cat nemesis when a very quiet voice called out behind her.

“Um, Gwen?”

The voice didn’t sound like Fireball, but she turned toward him anyway.

“Vera wants you.”

As she walked to the phone she realized it was Fireball only his voice was calm for the first time since she met him.

“How did it go?” she asked into the phone.

“He told me pretty much the same thing you did, but with a few extra details,” Vera said lightly. “One of these days you have to tell me how you stopped a tractor trailer.”

“Just as soon as I figure it out,” Gwen said tossing the apple core in the sink. “So, what do I do?”

Vera sighed loudly.

“Apartment 205 should suffice, remember where to find the key?”

“Of course.”

“Yes, yes stupid question anyway tell him I’ll be around sometime tomorrow.”

“Sure.”

“Take care Gwen and get some rest, lord knows you could use it.”

“Bye, Vera.”

Gwen hung up with a deep breath, that was easy.

“Well kids time for an elevator ride,” she announced. “Unless of course you prefer the stairs, but we’re on the tenth floor so it’s a bit of a trek.”

“You worked it out?” Fireball asked stunned.

Gwen grinned as she walked toward the bathroom.

“Please don’t insult me, I’ve been doing this a while,” she said digging into the linen closet. “Vera’s cautious, but I have yet to disappoint her.”

Zach and Lesley turned off the TV and waited by the bathroom door.

“The apartment hasn’t been used for ages so you’ll probably need these,” Gwen said re-entering the room, her arms overflowing with blankets.

“Here, I’ll take them,” Zach said grabbing them before they could fall.

“Thanks,” she breathed brushing her hair from her face.

“We really have a home?” Lesley asked, her large eyes full of happiness.

“Yep,” Gwen replied brightly. “Right downstairs, wanna see?”

“Yes, yes, yes!” she chirped leaping on Gwen. “Let’s go!”

Gwen gave her a quick hug, then walked to the door and held it open for the others. Once in the hall she led them to the elevator, they gathered inside. She punched the second floor button and the elevator lurched into action. Zach looked over as they slowly descended and saw Gwen against the back wall, her expression strained. The moment the doors opened she perked up and they walked into a corridor new to all of them, except Gwen. It wasn’t nearly as large as the loft’s hall, but well lit and comfortable just the same. They started at 218 and followed Gwen until she stopped outside 205.

“Here we are,” she said cheerfully. “Hang on while I get the key.”

In the blink of an eye she vanished. By now Zach was used to this, Lesley was impressed while Fireball swore. Seconds later Gwen reappeared with a single key in her hand.

“I think this is the one,” Gwen said stepping up to the door. “Gotta tell Vera they need new labels.”

She put the key in the lock and after a quick turn heard it click.

“Phew, I was afraid I’d have to go through all of them,” she said pushing the door open.

It was a small apartment, as soon as you entered there was a kitchen with a table and two chairs. Next to it was the living room complete with plaid sofa, TV that was at least ten years old and a small window letting in the moonlight. On either side of the TV was a door, each leading to a bedroom while the bathroom was off of the kitchen. The only similarity to Gwen’s loft was the dark brick walls. The floor was ceramic in the kitchen and bathroom and carpeted everywhere else. Gwen flicked on the lights as they entered, bathing the apartment with a warm yellow glow.

“Most of the building is regular apartments, only the top three floors are lofts,” Gwen explained as Les and her father examined their new home. “Vera’s coming over tomorrow to meet you, I’ll stop by early to help clean up, kind of dusty in here.”

Zach placed his load on the table as Gwen performed her own check. The fridge and freezer were empty to Gwen’s relief, she had feared something was growing in there. After closing the fridge she moved to the bedrooms. They were both plain, one had a full bed, the other a twin each paired with a simple bedside table, cloth shade lamp and worn wooden dresser. She pounded the pillows into shape and pulled off the old comforters that were clearly overdue for a wash. Before dragging them out, she cracked the bedroom windows for some clean air, luckily it wasn’t too cold that night. Lesley followed behind her as she collected the fresh covers and made the beds.

“That should do for now,” she said brushing any leftover dust from her clothes as she walked back into the kitchen. “No point trying to finish everything in one night.”

Fireball was in the living room while Zach was by the front door keeping an eye on them.

“Thank you so much,” Lesley said jumping around.

“It’s a start,” Gwen said modestly. “I don’t know about you, but I’ve had enough for one day. Good night Les, night Fireball.”

She opened the door to leave with Zach following protectively behind when Fireball called out to her.

“Thank you Gwen . . . and . . .” his face broke into a true smile when she faced him. “It’s Doug.”




© 2014 Emi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't think I've read this chapter before but I'm interested to see what develops.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nice chapter. this book reminds me of a manga series

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

505 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on January 23, 2014
Tags: Urban Fantasy, Superpowers, Romance


Author

Emi
Emi

Windsor, Canada



About
I've been writing since I was thirteen, it started with poetry since it was the only way for me to express my feelings at the time but since then I've moved into novels. I've been working hard on .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 29 Chapter 29

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 7 Chapter 7

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 17 Chapter 17

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 25 Chapter 25

A Chapter by Emi