Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by Emi

Chapter 14

 


Gwen was back at work the next day, colourful, but less likely to drop any trays. She was glad her little adventure happened on a Friday, going back to school right away would have been dreadful. Kate didn’t overreact when she saw her, mostly because Gwen had taken the precaution of calling her that night. She had plenty of time to blow off steam about the situation. Fortunately for them, and the customers, Kate was more interested in whether or not Gwen had heard from Dustin. Gwen didn’t bother trying to hide the curiosity on her face when she said not yet. She reminded Kate that Marco’s treat, the staff dinner, would be coming up soon and if he was doing well he would be there. Kate said nothing, Gwen’s smile widened as she whispered a tiny ‘Oh my God.’ The embarrassment and warning in her eyes was both obvious and unnecessary. Gwen wouldn’t tell anyone, including Zach, if it would upset Kate. Giggling, Gwen pulled her friend into a bone crushing hug to show she approved.
Marco and his workers arrived the following Friday evening, he knew they were a handful so coming in after Gwen’s day off was his policy. To the girls delight Dustin entered directly behind Marco. He was sun kissed and leaner than before, but with his natural black hair it suited him. Kate had to bite the inside of her cheek. There were four other guys in the group all of whom Gwen had met from previous dinners. Each one was either in their mid-twenties or early thirties and as loud as they were muscular, but very friendly. It was an hour until closing when Gwen showed them to the large table, she knew they would be there the rest of the evening. Amidst the laughter and greetings Gwen asked the group what they wanted to drink. Five beers, no surprises there, and an iced tea was their reply, she hurried into the kitchen to fetch them.

“So that nameless cousin of yours’ still hasn’t come back?” she asked when she returned and handed out their drinks.

“Nope and he’s not going to, this kid works better than he ever did,” Marco said pointing his beer bottle at Dustin. “I fired his miserable a*s.”

“Your uncle can’t be happy about that,” Gwen said shifting her weight to one side.

“He’s not, but that’s fine, next time he comes in he’ll find out exactly why I hired someone else,”

Gwen laughed and patted Dustin on the back.

“I’m glad you’re doing well,” she said. “We were worried.”

Gwen could feel Kate’s eyes on her and went back to work informing them Tony had started on their usual, then gave two other tables their checks. It was a good thing her bruises healed fast since Gwen was the only waitress on staff strong enough to carry a tray with six bowls of risotto. After the other customers left the guys invited the girls to sit with them. Gwen dragged Kate over by the elbow before she could find an excuse to run away. They talked about school and Marco asked Kate about her volunteering which caught Dustin’s interest enough to join in the conversation.

“Take it easy you guys,” Gwen said switching out the empty bottles. “There’s a limit.”

“Aw, come on, Gwen.”

“I deal with enough drunks, I don’t need you among them,” Gwen said firmly.

The door opened as she carried the empties toward the kitchen and when Gwen saw who it was the tray slipped through her fingers. The bottles shattered and everyone stared, Kate was the only one who stiffened. It was Jed.

“Dang it,” said Gwen under her breath.

She knelt down carefully and started picking up the pieces unwilling to look at him. He was different, thinner, almost worn out, but Gwen didn’t think for a second it made him harmless.

“What’s the story?” Marco asked quietly.

Jed had yet to speak or leave the doorway. Kate moved closer to Dustin.

“Can you tell if he has anything on him?” she whispered.

Dustin inspected him over his shoulder, searching for metal.

“Just a set of keys and some change,” he replied calmly. “Why?”

“We’ve had trouble from him,” Kate said darkly.

“Are you . . . that scared of me?” Jed asked in a small voice.

“No, you surprised me,” Gwen said. “I honestly didn’t expect to see you.”

Jed stepped away from the door, Gwen didn’t stop what she was doing.

“I’ve been sober since that night,” he said standing in front of her.

The whole table went still, listening closely. Gwen continued to pick up glass shards wordlessly.

“Part of the healing process is apologising for things we’ve done while drunk,” he said shifting uncomfortably from the stares Marco and the others were giving him. “You were at the top of my list.”

“It should be Zach, he was the one you hurt not me,” she said brushing off her hands before finally raising her eyes.

“That’s true, but Zach’s used to me I figured he could wait,” said Jed. “You’re the one I upset, I . . .”

Gwen held up her hand to halt him and returned to her feet with the tray full of glass pieces in her hands.

“There’s something I’m curious about, are you apologising for me or you?” she asked balancing the tray on her hip.

“What?” he replied confused.

“I understand it’s part of the process, but are you really sorry or just saying it so you’ll feel better?”

Jed thought about it, then said, “Both.”

The guys groaned, believing this was the wrong answer, but Gwen smiled.

“That’s what I figured, good choice,” she said placing the tray on the cashier’s desk. “By saying that you know you were wrong and are trying to become a better person, honesty is a powerful thing Jed.”

He was stunned, everybody was and Gwen couldn’t help chuckling.

“I’m not a difficult person I just want to make sure you mean what you say,” she said. “As for Zach I doubt forgiving you for what you did to him will be the issue.”

“No kidding,” said Jed. “For as long as I’ve known him Zach’s never been the kind to stand by and let danger befall others.”

Gwen wrinkled her nose contentedly when a scent reached her, she gazed up at the clock next to the kitchen.

“Hmm, he’s early tonight,” she said turning toward the door.

Moments later Jed tensed as Zach entered the restaurant.

“She’s very good,” Dustin whispered to Kate.

Zach wasn’t sure what shocked him more, that Jed was there or Gwen coming over to him with her usual smile and greeting.

“What’s he doing here?” Zach asked with forced composure.

“Apologizing,” Gwen said soothingly. “He means it Zach, please just listen.”

He was sceptical, but Gwen was no fool so he relaxed and let her steer him to the counter. As soon as they stopped next to Jed, Gwen grabbed the tray.

“I better get this to the recycling bin,” she said and disappeared into the kitchen too fast for Zach to block her.

Zach sighed, of course she left, eager for them to talk without her help. After a short pause Jed spoke.

“I don’t expect you to believe me.”

Zach sighed and crossed his arms.

“Normally I wouldn’t, but I trust Gwen, if she thought you were lying you’d have been thrown out on your butt by these guys,” Zach said nodding toward Marco and the others.

“Damn straight!” Marco barked.

Kate kicked him in the shins. Zach ignored them both.

“She’s forgiven you and so will I, this time,” he said with an emphasis on the ending. “You threaten her again and I’ll make your life a living nightmare, got it?”

“Loud and clear,” Jed replied.

“Everything okay in here?” Gwen asked from the kitchen doorway.

“I think so,” Zach said turning to her. “Forgiveness and mild warnings, couldn’t have gone better.”

Gwen chuckled, he was right, this had the potential to end very differently.

“I have to go, mom and dad are keeping close tabs on me,” said Jed shuffling for the door as Gwen moved next to Zach.

“Be safe,” she said kindly. “I hear the streets can be dangerous at night.”

He looked back at her, the door slightly ajar, her face was sweet and teasing so he smiled weakly.

“Apparently.”

Gwen hugged Zach after Jed left and said, “He’s not so bad, maybe all he needed was an intervention.”

Zach shrugged, as long as he was off the bottle.

“Where, pray tell, has dad been during this?” Marco asked nonchalantly.

“Spying from the back, he’s getting good,” Gwen replied cheerfully.

“Spying?” said Tony popping up from behind the counter. “In my restaurant it is not spying, but observing.”

Gwen and Zach snorted in stereo.

“Now, who wants dessert?”






© 2014 Emi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Does Kate like Dustin? I was a little confused at the beginning, otherwise another nice one

Posted 12 Years Ago


ha ha ! I am the first for once. nice chapter. a nice break from the action Just what i needed. My nerons were aboult to lyse.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

416 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on January 23, 2014
Tags: Urban Fantasy, Superpowers, Romance


Author

Emi
Emi

Windsor, Canada



About
I've been writing since I was thirteen, it started with poetry since it was the only way for me to express my feelings at the time but since then I've moved into novels. I've been working hard on .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi