Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Emi

Chapter 15

 


Gwen entered school on Monday feeling contented with life, so it wasn't surprising in her dreamy state that she hadn't noticed anything was wrong. Until after she spun her locker combo and was about to open it.


S
L
U
WITCH
H      E
O      X
R      
E



Was written crossword style across her locker door in black marker. So this was Kelli’s latest stunt, creative, but a step down from her last attack. Gwen rolled her eyes, collected her books, then slammed the door shut. With any luck the janitor would see the graffiti and it would be gone by the end of the day or at least before Zach and Katie found out. She couldn’t care less what other people thought of it, but didn’t want the two she loved getting upset. Zach met her outside homeroom and she followed him inside, silently wondering which of the words Kelli considered the biggest insult. Not that it mattered, only one of them was true. Neither of them mentioned anything about her locker at lunch, Gwen figured she was safe for now. As third period was nearing its end Gwen decided she was in no mood to face Kelli in the locker room, choosing instead to change for gym ten minutes early. When she left the changing room and stepped into the hall a heated conversation echoed to her from around a nearby corner. She wouldn’t have given it a second thought, but she recognised the voices. She hurried toward the noise and upon turning the corner she found Zach facing down Brent, she came up next to him.

“Oh perfect, one of your victims,” Brent said as Gwen reached them.

“What’s this about?” Gwen asked from Zach’s side.

“That’s what I’d like to know,” Zach replied.

“You con artist, you’ve been playing girls all over this school!” said Brent causing Gwen to take a step back.

“What!” Zach exclaimed.

They get into catfights if they find out about each other, believing you actually love them,” Brent added smirking. “You don’t even care about the graffiti on her locker, but you still claim to be her boyfriend?”

Gwen flushed as Zach turned toward her, clearly puzzled.

“It’s just a prank, I didn’t want to bother you,” she confessed.

Zach’s eyes softened, Gwen shuffled her feet.

“Go ahead, act like you give a damn,” Brent said shoving Zach so he collided with her.

Zach whirled to face him, anger unmistakable in his expression.

“I do happen to care, I’ve been with her since you ripped open her hand!” he retorted.

Brent’s face twisted into a mix of lemon pucker and rage.

“That was an accident,” he grumbled.

“No it wasn’t, it happened because you fell for some stupid story,” said Zach still fuming. “You’re doing it again.”

“Zach,” Gwen whispered nervously.

“Shut up!” Brent yelled at him.

“Why don’t you mind your own business and leave us alone!” Zach shouted back.

Brent stomped forward and swung a hard left hook aiming directly at Zach’s chest. In a split second Gwen grabbed Zach by the arm, pulled him out of the way and took his place. Brent’s fist slammed into her cheek so hard her head struck the lockers next to them. The tiny gasp she uttered upon impact was nothing compared to the mental scream they all emitted. Gwen slid to the floor dazed by the hit and Zach quickly knelt in front of her.

“What’s going on out here?”

Mr. Hoss exited his classroom to investigate the commotion and was shocked by what he found. Gwen on the floor holding her head, Zach beside her visibly worried and Brent with his fists clenched and face blank. He didn’t even ask questions.

“All of you to the principal’s office, now!”


Principal Laslow only glanced at Gwen and the two large red blotches on her face before turning to her secretary.

“Minn, get us some ice please,” she instructed. “Miss Booker, Mister Wallace I’ll speak to you first.”

Zach held onto Gwen as they walked from administration into the main office as if he was afraid she would fall otherwise. They sat on the plush armchairs in front of the mahogany desk, Ms. Laslow came in behind them. Gwen would have called the room dim if it wasn't for the oversized windows. All the furniture was dark, the walls were pale and two of the fluorescent bulbs above them were out. She preferred the nurse’s office, bright and clean. Ms. Laslow settled behind her desk, the room was silent until the secretary arrived with a bag of ice for Gwen. After a quick thank you she left, Gwen gently pressed the bag against her head.

“Am I safe in the assumption that this was not self inflicted?” Ms. Laslow asked calmly.

 “Yes ma’am,” she replied shifting the ice.

Ms. Laslow sighed and turned to Zach.

“What happened?” she asked.

“Brent approached me,” he said. “He claimed I was dating several girls on campus, and I would send them into jealous rages so they’d fight over me.”

“Then why punch Gwen?” Ms. Laslow asked.

“He was aiming for me,” Zach told her. “She stepped between us at the last moment.”

She looked at Gwen surprised.

“He’s twice your size, why on earth did you do that?”

Zach glanced at her, he knew she wouldn’t tell the truth and was curious what she would say instead.

Gwen shrugged and mumbled, “Seemed like a good idea at the time.”

Good answer.

“He’s lucky Mr. Hoss came into the hall or I’d have killed him,” Zach said under his breath.

“Don’t say that Zach, this isn’t his fault,” said Gwen switching the ice to the other side of her face.

Zach grumbled, being a puppet didn’t excuse him from striking her.

“What makes you think that Gwen?” Ms. Laslow asked hands folded on her desk.

“Mostly because Brent has no reason to fabricate a lie and attack Zach,” said Gwen. “Unlike someone else who has threatened me, jumped Zach and undoubtedly scrawled on my locker door today.”

“What did it say anyway?” Zach asked.

“Who do you believe put him up to this?” Ms. Laslow interrupted.

Gwen didn’t reply right away, she wasn’t sure how much to say.

“I don’t have proof about the locker or whether the two are connected,” she said at last. “Just my suspicions.”

“Hmm . . . I understand you don’t want to accuse an innocent person, however nothing you tell me will leave this room. Perhaps Mister Vale’s account will support your beliefs,” Ms. Laslow said gently.

Gwen considered it, she had a point and frankly she was getting tired of this.

“Kelli Brown,” Gwen sighed. “She hasn’t taken kindly to my dating Zach and made a habit of trying to tear us apart.”

“I see.”

“As I’ve said she’s already gone after both of us and I honestly doubt she’s above trickery,” she added.

“Same here,” said Zach.

“You both believe she is the cause of Brent’s outburst?” Ms. Laslow asked looking from one to the other.

Gwen and Zach glanced at each other, then nodded.

“All right, is there anything else you want to tell me?” she asked.

Zach shook his head, but Gwen sat up straighter in her chair.

“I don’t think Brent should be penalized too heavily, especially if it turns out we’re right,” she said quietly.

“What do you suggest?” Ms. Laslow asked curiously.

“School community service, maybe,” Gwen said laying the ice on her lap to give her arms a break. “I can’t see detention or suspension making a difference, he realizes his mistake. I think having to work it off would leave a better impression.”

Ms. Laslow leaned back in her chair tracing her mouth in contemplation.

“I’ll take that into consideration,” she said.

Gwen’s face fell and a smile broke out on Ms. Laslow’s lips.

“Before you go I have to say I’m impressed by the amount of control it took to let him hurt you Gwen,” she said cheerfully.

Gwen’s eyes widened and Zach’s jaw dropped.

“I thought there was something strange about you,” Gwen said quietly. “You’re a Hex . . . a mind reader, right?”

“Very good, how could you tell?” Ms. Laslow inquired looking amazed.

“I’m well trained, I guess,” said Gwen shyly. “The way you watched us and how you knew who to talk to, it’s easy to spot when you have my experience.”

“Yes, four years,” said Ms. Laslow sincerely. “I have great respect for what you’re doing Lightbearer, if you have trouble here I want you to come to me, okay?”

“Thanks Ms. Laslow, I appreciate the offer,” Gwen said standing. “Though I hope I won’t be bothering you too often.”

“Not to worry,” she laughed. “Now, I have to deal with Brent, I can hear him distinctly, for some reason he thinks you’re asking me to throw the book at him.”

“I wonder why,” said Zach sarcastically, rising from his chair and wrapping an arm around Gwen’s shoulders. “Poor b*****d.”

Gwen elbowed him as they left the office and stole a glance at Brent as they passed, he really did look miserable. She knew Zach didn’t approve, but she couldn’t help feeling sorry for him.

“Should we go to gym?” she asked once they were in the halls.

“Nah, it’s already started, no point walking in now,” he said giving her shoulders a squeeze.

Normally she wasn’t one for skipping class, but under the circumstances it was the best option.

“In that case, I guess I should change,” she said snuggling his side only to graze her sore cheek.

They walked past the site of the excitement on their way to the girls changing room. She gave Zach a gentle kiss, then slid inside. Again, she was grateful the room was empty especially after what happened, she wondered if Kelli was proud of her latest plot. She was trying to make Zach look like the bad guy now, where did that idea come from in her twisted mind? As Gwen pulled on her shirt her head gave a throb of displeasure, she decided it didn’t matter. Kelli deserved many things, but her consideration wasn’t one of them. She reached for the handle sensing tension on the other side, Zach stared at her anxiously when the door opened. She stepped out next to him and gulped. Coach Wester stood at the end of the hall glaring at them.

“Uh, oh,” she whispered.

He moved toward them with his hands in his sweats.

“It’s not like you two to miss class,” he commented, then noticed the marks on Gwen’s face. “Where have you been?”

“Principal’s office,” Zach replied calmly.

Coach sighed and ran a hand through his grey streaked hair.

“I don’t suppose that has anything to do with the only other student unaccounted for, does it?” he asked tiredly.

Gwen shifted uncomfortably.

“Er . . .”

“Never mind,” Coach interrupted loudly. “I don’t want to know, just get out of here.”

Zach took Gwen by the hand and they hurried out of sight before he could change his mind.





© 2014 Emi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Haha I like this coach!

Posted 11 Years Ago


nice. a twist again. i am getting lost in this thing. i had hopr for jed. thank you.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

479 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on January 23, 2014
Tags: Urban Fantasy, Superpowers, Romance


Author

Emi
Emi

Windsor, Canada



About
I've been writing since I was thirteen, it started with poetry since it was the only way for me to express my feelings at the time but since then I've moved into novels. I've been working hard on .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 9 Chapter 9

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 6 Chapter 6

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 24 Chapter 24

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 29 Chapter 29

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi