Chapter 28

Chapter 28

A Chapter by Emi

Chapter 28

 


It seemed to take forever for the hospital to release Gwen, even with her family around her the scene got old fast. Pinky had brought Gwen fresh clothes, but she needed both Kate and Pink to help her change. Tony drove Kate and Dustin home while Vera brought her tenants back to their apartments. Pink said goodnight when the elevator doors opened on the eighth floor, Gwen and Zach continued up to her apartment. Pinky had left the lights on for them, though it was Gwen’s first time in a hospital Pink knew what to do. The effect of being home was immediate, she slid out of her shoes, took a deep breath and was hit hard by a rush of exhaustion. Zach grabbed her before her body had the chance to sway.

“Time for bed?” he whispered in her ear.

“Yeah,” she chuckled softly.

Gwen walked to the bathroom, keeping her hand on the wall for balance, while Zach pulled off his shoes. She returned with a light blanket under her arm and a proper pillow teetering on her head. Zach snorted, ever the ray of sunshine. He relieved her of the bedding with a grin and bent forward to kiss her.

“Need any help getting upstairs?” he asked, adoring the sight of her sparkling eyes.

“No, I’m fine, are you sure you’ll be okay on the couch?” she asked.

“Last time I was on the floor, don’t worry,” he replied gently tapping her nose.

She smiled warmly, stood on her toes, kissed him gently, then walked up to her loft. Once he was sure the lights upstairs were on he turned off the ones downstairs, Gwen might be able to sleep that way, but he couldn’t. He tossed the pillow to one end of the patented boyfriend bed, then climbed on, realizing he would have to wake up in a couple of hours for school. However, it was better than no sleep at all. It didn’t take long for both of them to drift off.

When Gwen awoke the sun had been up for a few hours. She glanced at her nightstand and found one of her plushies from her bookcase with a muffin in front of it and a note in its furry paws. She reached over and carefully pulled it loose, thanking her lucky stars that it was on her uninjured side.

I’ll pick up Lesley after school so enjoy your day off.
See you when we get back.

Love,
Zach.

Gwen smiled, a day off huh, how could she possibly fill the time?

Zach left just after sun rise while there were still plenty of shadows to help him get home. The light shocked him awake when it shone through the window. He really had to desensitise himself to daylight otherwise he would have many cruel awakenings. Rather than opening the door upon arriving he just slipped underneath it as a shadow so as not to disturb anyone. No wonder it was so chilly down there during the winter months. He showered and changed before the household even raised an eyelid, late trips to the hospital could do that to you. Not that he minded of course, he needed to cleanse himself of last night’s events. He told his family that Gwen should be feeling better today. He wasn’t sure if he would be staying over again, but he would call when he found out, then left for school. He met up with Kate and they searched the halls for Jackie. She was shocked to see them together especially without Gwen. Zach did the explaining and after the unavoidable symphony of gasps they walked to Ms. Laslow’s office. When she saw them step into the room her eyebrows disappeared under her bangs, but she didn’t speak until Kate closed the door behind them.

“Zach . . . you . . .” she couldn’t finish.

“That’s the same look Gwen gave me,” he said grinning. “Of course, I was in a different form at the time.”

“Shadow Caster,” Ms. Laslow breathed.

“That’s what Gwen told me,” he said shrugging.

“Wait a minute, how can she tell?” Jackie asked confused.

Zach turned to Kate.

“You two didn’t tell her?” he asked curiously.

“No reason to,” Kate replied.

Zach rolled his eyes.

“Oh, this ought to be good,” he said rubbing his head.

I'm not sure we have time for the ‘good’ version if we want to resolve this today,” Kate said logically.

“True,” Ms. Laslow said folding her hands on her desk. “The simple answer Miss Pearson, is that I too am a Hex and I am aware of everything that has been going on with Kelli. I’m assuming that’s what you’re here to discuss.”

“Yes,” Jackie said quietly.

“Well then sit, I’m sure you don’t want to be here all day.”


 

“Hello?” Zach called as he opened Gwen’s door.

She was standing next to her kitchen table, the instant she saw him Gwen perked up like a kitten.

“Hi,” she sang, her eyes dancing.

He dropped his bag in the corner, before running over to her and sweeping her into his arms. He lifted her a couple of inches off the ground.

“Easy man, she’s still recovering,” Kate said walking in with Jackie just behind her.

Gwen planted a kiss on his forehead and he placed her back on her feet.

“Wow, so this is your place,” Jackie said looking around, her eyes landing on the table which was full of food baskets. “Oh, my God.”

“That’s not the half of it,” Gwen said tugging on a basket’s plastic wrap. “I’ve had neighbours and deliverymen showing up all day, my room is like a field of flowers.”

“No kidding?” Kate asked leaving her bag next to Zach’s.

“Yeah, and check this out,” Gwen replied walking to the fridge and upon opening it revealed a complete banquet of food. “From those who prefer more personal gifts we have lasagna, meatloaf, two pies (one blueberry, one strawberry rhubarb). A small pot of stew, pasta sauce made from scratch and four pints of premium ice cream.”

“Awesome,” Jackie said staring at the stocked fridge shelves.

“In theory,” Gwen said closing the door. “There’s no way I can eat all this food before it goes bad, I’ll have to freeze some of it . . . would any of you be willing to take a basket?”

“Sure thing, my family would love one,” Kate said giving her friend’s arm a squeeze.

“Mine too, might be a nice thank you for Jules,” Zach added taking her hand.

“Are you sure?” Jackie asked shyly.

“Of course, I don’t want it to spoil,” Gwen answered cheerfully. “Dustin called and said he’d be stopping by, I’ll give him one as well.”

Kate stalled mid-stride on her way to the living room which Gwen naturally took notice of and couldn’t keep from smiling.

“Is it just me or is she as bad as I was?” Gwen asked jokingly.

“Worse actually at least you weren’t afraid to admit it,” Zach replied smirking.

“Shut up!” Kate hollered only to rush upstairs, presumably to hide amongst the mass of flowers.

“Did we go too far?” Zach asked slightly concerned.

“Nah, Katie needs a bit of a shove in cases like this,” Gwen said patting him on the back.

“Who’s Dustin?” Jackie asked curiously.

“A friend of ours from the nightlife,” Gwen explained. “Katie and Dustin are an excellent match, she’s just not good at showing emotion toward people other than me.”

“You mean besides anger,” Zach commented mischievously.

“I heard that!” Kate screamed from the bedroom.

Zach snorted, Gwen bit her lip to keep from laughing. A knock at the door a second later diverted their attention from Kate, Gwen recognized the smell at once and smirked.

“Come in!” she said gleefully.

The door creaked open tentatively and Dustin stepped in glancing from side to side.

“Relax, we’re not going to jump you,” Zach chuckled.

Dustin grinned and kicked the door shut.

“Wasn’t sure if I had the right place,” he told them. “How are you feeling today?”

“Better than I have in a fortnight,” Gwen replied. “Though I still can’t move my arm.”

“You shouldn’t be trying to yet,” he said seriously, then noticed a new face among them. “You’re . . . Jackie right?”

“Yes, how’d you know?” she asked.

“You’re the only Normal in the group I haven’t met,” he said simply.

Dustin cast an eye over the rest of the room and frowned, before he even opened his mouth Gwen answered his unasked question.

“We teased her a bit so she retreated upstairs.”

He chuckled softly and walked past them toward the staircase.

“So, what happened at school?” Gwen asked leaning against the edge of her table.

“For starters I have your homework,” Zach said nonchalantly, knowing that wasn’t what she was thinking about.

“Good I’d hate to get behind, now what is the thing you’re dying to tell me?” Gwen asked effortlessly able to read him.

Zach smiled broadly.

“The three of us talked to Ms. Laslow,” he replied.

“I told her everything Kelli’s done, the attacks in gym class, the graffiti on your locker, Brent, all of it,” Jackie added.

“Wow, that must have taken a while,” Gwen said thoughtfully.

“Yes it did, but the good news is Ms. Laslow believes we have enough information to pursue proper disciplinary action now,” Zach said positively. “Kelli and her parents are coming in tomorrow for a meeting, think you can handle a couple of hours?”

“Sure, I’d be willing to try a whole day, but frankly I agree that’s not the best idea,” she said tapping her chin.

“Thank God,” Zach said relieved.

“I’d better call Vera and Tony we’ll probably need them there since they’re the main adults in my life,” Gwen said sensibly. “But first, who wants ice cream?”

She took a couple of steps toward the fridge before Zach grabbed her by the waist band of her pants and pulled her back.

“I’ll get it, I don’t want you pulling your shoulder.” he said, gently supporting the back of her head with one hand as he pressed his cheek against her brow.

For that brief moment their hearts seemed to beat to the same rhythm.

“Okay, thanks,” Gwen said realizing he was right and blushing furiously as he pulled away.

“This place is amazing, you must work yourself to the bone,” Jackie said awestruck.

“I wouldn’t say that, Vera is fair with her prices for everyone,” Gwen replied. “I only work full time because I need benefits, I’m on my own after all.”

“Hey, all this ice cream is the same flavour,” Zach announced.

“Cookies and Cream, it’s my favourite so naturally that’s what people would buy,” Gwen clarified. “Recently Mint Chocolate Chip has been a close second.”

Zach grinned at her, took out a pint and moved to the counter. A knock made them all jump and Gwen’s extrasensory radar sprang to life.

“Hmm, don’t recognize that one,” she said walking to the door.

Standing on her doorstep was a tall man wearing a baseball cap embroidered with the words ‘Fairweather Flower Shop’ which explained the large vase he held in one hand and the clipboard in the other.

“I have a flower delivery for Gwen Booker,” he said checking his notes.

“Oh dear,” she said eyeing the vase positive she couldn’t lift it. “Could you bring it inside please, I can’t . . .”

“Oh, sure,” he said spotting her arm and stepping inside.

Zach and Jackie looked up curiously as he entered. The delivery man placed the vase full of flowers on the other side of the sink, away from Zach and the ice cream, then noticed the kitchen table and whistled.

“I see I’m not your only delivery today,” he said flipping through his papers for the one she had to sign.

“Not even close,” Kate said coming down the stairs with Dustin behind her. “The rest of the greenhouse is up here.”

“You certainly are well loved,” he said holding the clipboard for her.

“So it would seem,” she said her signature turning out a bit shakier than usual. “Feel free to take a basket, maybe you can share it with your coworkers.”

“That’d be a switch,” he said pondering. “Bringing a gift in rather than taking them out, you sure you don’t mind?”

“Not at all, take your pick,” she said waving her hand toward the table.

The delivery man took a quick glance at the many baskets and chose one full of fruit with a blue ribbon on top.

“Thank you,” he said sporting an uneven smile.

“You’re very welcome, have a good day,” she said walking him to the door.

“You, too.”

She closed the door behind him, then turned back to the others.

“Well, that’s one off to a new home,” she said as Katie and Dustin entered the kitchen.

As Zach handed out the cones Gwen took a closer look at the newly delivered flowers and inhaled sharply.

“Tiger lilies,” Zach said standing next to her with the last two ice cream cones. “Cool, who sent them?”

Gwen’s face had softened tenfold.

“Gran,” she said quietly.

“How can you be so sure, you didn’t even check the note,” Dustin said pointing to the folded piece of white paper among the orange petals.

“It’s her scent,” Gwen said taking the note, but not opening it. “She used to grow them in her backyard when I was a kid, I always said they were funny looking, but I liked them. One year my parents threw a New Year’s party and I asked her if she brought me any because I could smell them on her. It’s one of those things you don’t forget.”

“That’s so sweet,” Jackie remarked.

Gwen smiled in agreement, then turned her attention to the note. She unfolded it carefully, using her other hand as little as possible and read her grandmother’s words.

Hello love,
I had hoped this would be resolved without injuries, but I’m glad everything is back to normal for the two of you. It’s intriguing that Zach is a Shadow Caster, but never mind I can see he has great potential. Don't hesitate to call if you have trouble remembering a lesson, it would be my pleasure to help.

Forever on your side,
Gran.

P.S. Oh and you might want to wear a loose shirt tomorrow, you’ll need it.

Gwen chuckled, tucked the note into her sling and accepted the cone Zach was holding for her.

“That was weird,” he commented, reading over her shoulder.

Her eyes danced as she said aloud, “Grandma always knows.”






© 2014 Emi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh man. the resolution and conclusion. why must it end. come on go james bond style two big climaxes yes.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2010
Last Updated on January 24, 2014
Tags: Urban Fantasy, Superpowers, Romance


Author

Emi
Emi

Windsor, Canada



About
I've been writing since I was thirteen, it started with poetry since it was the only way for me to express my feelings at the time but since then I've moved into novels. I've been working hard on .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 7 Chapter 7

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 10 Chapter 10

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 24 Chapter 24

A Chapter by Emi