Chapter 29

Chapter 29

A Chapter by Emi

Chapter 29

                     

Zach went home that night returning early the next morning so Vera and Tony could drive them both to school for the meeting. As they walked through the packed halls stares and whispers followed them prompting Gwen to clutch Zach’s fingers, no doubt cutting off blood flow temporarily. Kelli and her parents were waiting in the office when they arrived, as were Kate and Jackie. The tension in the room was incredible. Gwen took her grandmother’s advice and wore a looser shirt, with good reason since the accused wanted proof that she wasn’t faking an injury to gain sympathy. Fortunately the bruise was too deep to heal at her normal rate. She was honestly surprised by Kelli’s parents, they were not at all what she had been expecting. Her father seemed to be in good shape, but wore the boxy suit of an accountant and thin frameless glasses. Her mother was dressed more conservatively than most and clearly a homemaker. They seemed surprised not only by the whole event, but also that Jackie was testifying against Kelli. Gwen let her friends do most of the talking, after all she was just the recipient of Kelli’s jealousy and wasn’t fully aware of the details. Brent came in to say his piece, then Coach Wester and after him the school nurse. Gwen hadn’t realized how many other people were involved in what she thought was her problem and apparently neither did Kelli. She didn’t admit to anything, but she wasn’t trying to blame the incidents on others either, which was a good sign in Gwen’s opinion. Kelli’s parents asked how this could have continued for so long without anyone noticing, Gwen had to admit fault on that point. Her naive belief that everything would work out and attempts to do the right thing seemed to have had a very different effect than her intentions. Unlike Katie, Gwen received no joy from watching Kelli squirm, in fact whenever she would glance over Gwen would shrink back. After a couple of hours of reviewing the past few months they covered everything and Ms. Laslow turned to Mr. and Mrs. Brown. Although she had due cause she didn’t want to expel Kelli and ruin her chances for future education. However, it was clear that she couldn’t continue to attend this school. They were obviously torn, they wanted to believe their daughter was innocent. It was difficult when you had students, staff and former friends trying so hard to prove you wrong. They reluctantly agreed it was for the best, Kelli shot her a look that made Gwen shudder. The Browns left the office first, moments after the door swung shut behind them they could hear Kelli’s voice ring through the walls. It sounded remarkably like ‘don’t touch me!’ no doubt warding off an attempt at comfort from at least one of her parents. Gwen asked Ms. Laslow if they wanted to know what Kelli was thinking during the meeting who answered with a definitive ‘no’. They didn’t push it, some things are better left unsaid. After the Brown family had disappeared from the hall Gwen felt safe enough to move. They said good-bye to Minn and Ms. Laslow, then departed together. It wasn’t quite time for lunch yet so the corridors were practically deserted as they walked toward the exit. Gwen lay her head on Zach’s shoulder tiredly, somehow those couple of hours had equalled a long day. Normally Zach would have put his arm around her, but with her injury it would pretty much defeat the purpose. When they turned the last corner on their way to the front door they found Kelli emptying her locker. Gwen’s brain screamed at her to turn around and walk the other way, but she forced her legs to continue. She lifted her head, standing tall and strong afraid to appear anything less. Kelli heard their footsteps and looked up, the hostility in her eyes stung Gwen. Zach quickly lay a supportive hand on the small of her back. He wouldn’t let anything happen to her, just the same she remained close to him and didn’t consider relaxing her hold on his hand.

Kelli continued to fill her bag silently as they approached, but when they were about to pass her. “I suppose, you’re happy now,” she said bitterly.

Gwen’s throat closed so fast she choked and coughed violently.

“I am,” Kate replied hotly.

“Shut up, Katie,” Gwen croaked.

One good hum and Gwen’s voice returned to full strength.

“You know I’m not,” she said calmly. “Relieved maybe, I can finally come to school without worrying about someone kissing my boyfriend or ending the day in the nurse’s office because of someone else’s rage.”

“I told you to let it go Kelli,” Jackie said meekly.

Her bravery, like Gwen’s energy, was drained from the meeting.

“Whatever, obviously being one of the popular girls was too good for you,” Kelli said passively. “Enjoy the rest of your life as a nobody.”

“Sweetheart,” Mrs. Brown said in a she-used-to-be-your-best-friend voice.

“Don’t sweetheart me! I can’t believe you’re letting this hag get me kicked out of school,” Kelli barked pointing a well manicured finger toward Gwen.

Tony caught Kate in a one armed swoop as she jumped toward Kelli, both Marco and Tony were very good when it came to Katie’s outbursts.

“That’s enough,” Mr. Brown said sternly.

Kelli slammed her locker closed with such force three doors on either side rattled in protest.

“Whatever,” she said again, then turned to Gwen, her eyes glinting like icicles in the sun. “You’ll get yours some day.”

“I’m sure you’re right,” Gwen said her chin held high. “However, I doubt it’ll be in the way you expect.”

Kelli gave Gwen a long stare, hiked her back pack over her shoulder and walked off with her parents. Tony kept his grip on Katie until the Browns were out of the building. She pulled away from him, peeved that she didn’t tell Kelli good-bye in her chosen fashion. Gwen grinned in a it’s-for-the-best kind of way, not that it helped, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

“It’s over,” Zach said pressing his lips against her ear.

“Finally,” Gwen breathed, leaning on him.

“Too bad nobody was around to see,” Jackie said gazing toward the glass doors.

Kate livened up instantly.

“You’re right,” she said with an impish smile.

“Oh, no,” Gwen sighed recognizing exactly what she was thinking.

“This will be fun,” Kate said, her eyes shining mischievously. “Come on, we’ve got a story to develop.”

She grabbed Jackie by the wrist and pulled her down the hall cheering.

“Don’t go overboard!” Gwen called after them, realizing it was useless to try and stop them.

She shook her head, but couldn’t help smiling, it looked like Kelli had given Kate a farewell gift after all.

“We better get going, Tony needs to get back to the restaurant,” she said moving closer to Zach.

She wrapped her arm around his neck and kissed him good-bye feeling both their spirits rise as the spark ran through them. After a few moments it became clear that neither one of them was about to let go so Vera cleared her throat loudly.

“All right you two, you’ll only be apart for a couple of hours, I think you can survive just fine without the mouth to mouth,” she said with the perfect mix of sincere and comical.

Gwen snorted, then broke into hysterical giggles. Zach moaned and pressed her face into his chest to calm her laughter. She lifted her head from his shirt, swallowed the odd chuckle and gazed at him.

“See you after school,” she sighed letting go of him and brushing his arm as she turned around.

“You’re such a killjoy, Vera,” she added as they moved toward the exit.

“Yes dear, your Gran insists I give you some parental influences,” Vera said a subtle smirk on her face.

“I suggest you keep practicing,” Tony commented flatly.

They each opened a door for Gwen and sunlight flooded the hall causing Zach to shrug back slightly. The sight of Gwen at the door made him stop short. As she stepped outside she turned to smile at him, the sun surrounded her in a warm glow like a heavenly picture frame. He knew that moment would be how he always saw her in his mind, injuries and all he wouldn’t change a thing, she was beautiful.

That was Gwen . . . his Gwen.




© 2014 Emi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ok so I read the entire thing sooner than I thought. This has the potential for a few more chapters or even another book. The ending was good but I would have liked it if Gwen was healed (not sure why) I also would have liked it if Gwen could've introduced Zach to her grandmother. The ending works but this is a complicated story you have thought up and I feel like there are a few unresolved issues. I think a second book would be good perhaps something like " The Hex: Light and Dark" I don't know your choice. Love this. There are no mistakes I can see in this chapter.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I read the entire thing and i must say, this is the most well written book I have read on here. I really liked the why your words potrayed themselves across the page and how well they flowed. Definitely one of my favorites. You should write another one soon :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


this was an awsome novel and will be a finalist in my contest, nice work:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Really great story...really keeps you on the edge of your seat!!! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very nice. Very nice indeed. I think that I would have liked to read a Shadow Caster's lifestyle though. The combination of a Lightbearer and a Shadow Caster is ironic but very enjoyable. I loved this tale even though I'm not much for romance.

Posted 12 Years Ago


nice but why must it end y.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

631 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2010
Last Updated on January 24, 2014
Tags: Urban Fantasy, Superpowers, Romance


Author

Emi
Emi

Windsor, Canada



About
I've been writing since I was thirteen, it started with poetry since it was the only way for me to express my feelings at the time but since then I've moved into novels. I've been working hard on .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 11 Chapter 11

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 17 Chapter 17

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 25 Chapter 25

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emi