Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by ReallynL
"

Chapter one of A Rosebud in Resin

"
    Mother once told me that God does not roll dice. She always said that we write our own destiny and fate is what people call for whatever things that limits them. But almost everything that happened to me up 'til now had been more or less, bad. My name is Tasha Florence, and this is the story of how my life became a living nightmare...
    Back then, I tried to do my best to make my mother proud. The two of us lived a simple life near the edge of Léogâne, where my mother single-handedly raised me while doing her part-time job as a social worker in Port-Au-Prince. I could never be more proud of her. But whenever I asked my mother about who and where my father is, she would always try to change the topic and divert my attention to other things. I never learned anything about him until much later on, when my life was already too confusing and nothing made sense.
    It was the 12th of January of the year 2010 when my quiet life got entangled in the wretched mess I now live in. I was sitting on a kitchen stool at that time, watching Mom while she chopped cabbages and other vegetables while waiting for the pork she was boiling in a big cauldron to soften. She was humming a tune oddly familiar to my ears.
    "Hey Mom, what song are you humming? It sounds very nice." I asked her out of curiosity.
    "Its-"
    We heard a loud knock on the door.
    "Coming." My mom left the potatoes she was dicing and walked away to answer the door. The old mahogany's hinges creaked as the door opened wide enough to show the face of our visitor. Its was Mr. Aron O'Shea, one of our neighbors who runs a bakery three blocks from our house. He was a tall, dark and slender man at his forties. Mom casually let him in for he was a close friend who always helped us when we encounter problems that we couldn't solve on our own. I glanced at the digital clock resting on the kitchen counter top which showed 16:49:07 in dim red lines.
    "Come in Mr. O'Shea. Please have a seat. Would you like to join us for dinner?" Mom asked while glancing back at the steaming cauldron.  I nod my head when Mr. Aron glanced at me. He didn't bothered to answer my mother and started walking towards me. I instinctively shuddered when our eyes met. His gaze was filled with so much malevolence that it felt like he wasn't himself at that time.
    "Mom..."I broke eye contact with Mr. Aron and ran for my mother who was back in her cooking. She was too absorbed in what she was doing that she didn't noticed me at first. "MOM!" I screamed as I tugged at her dress and pointed at Mr. Aron who was then walking towards the two of us. And in all of a sudden, he lunged forward and tried to grab my head with his huge hands. I staggered back and fell out of balance.
    Caught unaware, mother had very little time to react to the situation.


© 2011 ReallynL


Author's Note

ReallynL
Keep the reviews decent and unbiased. Inform me of possible grammar problems and misspellings.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very good writing, I especially like the first few sentences. Now I'm curious as to why they're cooking in a cauldron, I guess I'll have to read the rest of the book!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
1 Review
Added on January 23, 2011
Last Updated on January 24, 2011
Tags: Demon, Tragedy, Possessed, Flames, Death, Nephilim, Love, Filial Piety, Anxiety


Author

ReallynL
ReallynL

Manila, NCR, Philippines



About
Hi, Im Reallyn. And just like almost everyone here, I love to write stories. I'm a pre-med Biology student in the oldest university in Asia. I also like drawing and imagining the characters in the sto.. more..

Writing
Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by ReallynL


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by ReallynL