Conjure Me The Ocean

Conjure Me The Ocean

A Poem by Anima Inspired

 

Conjure me the ocean tonight;
whisper her melancholy crashing
in ears that wait for the sound of you...
        
Bring your magic to my bedside,
drip your words across my cheeks,
staining my pillows like blissful tears,
leaving me to soak in a sea crafted
by the intangible depths of your mind.
 
Tonight I stand before a shore
that is painfully devoid of moonlight,
my eyes adapting, toes testing
the frigid and frothy waters,
and though my heart is filled with fear,
I tread waist-deep into the darkness,
washing away apprehension
and giving birth to chance.

© 2008 Anima Inspired


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Water is something that fascinates me deeply and seems to draw me close to it. Your use of it (in the form of the ocean) as a metaphor was clever and well crafted, creating a brilliant and dreamlike scene.

'and though my heart is filled with fear,
I tread waist-deep into the darkness,
washing away apprehension
and giving birth to chance'

This verse, or latter half of a verse I should say, really stood out to me, for it reminds me of a baptism. 'Washing away apprehension' as one would sin when being baptised, and 'giving birth to chance'...a rebirth, a new life, a new chance. It seemed symbolic to me, and it might just be me, but it does seem to have some similarities. Perhaps it is not a baptism of the spirit in a religious aspect, but it still seems to be a cleansing of the soul. Anyways, that is how I feel it should be taken, for it also seems to me that the last verse could very well represent suicide if not what I formerly mentioned, and that could very well change the meaning of this poem. Now I have something to ponder.

Anyways, very well written. Bravi.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Awe inspiring is the first thing that comes to mind. I found myself reading this several times. This piece was absolutely beautiful from start to finish. I felt the water encompassing my body. You are an extremely talented writer. This is one that I will come back to again and again...

JS

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very very good. I love things about sea and this has it all.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was very good written... great metaphors and beauty of of the picture ... all is in a harmony the ocean and the feelings.. and all is woven into each other.. beautiful ! loved the lines "Conjure me the ocean tonight;whisper her melancholy crashingin ears that wait for the sound of" ------yes the feeling one gets is a tendency to a sadness. when all light is gone.. and night begins then.. it is again joy when meeting with beloved in the save embrace and trust. loved this!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Brilliantly done... I could read you all day long. What you do with your writing is special in that it's not random thoughts, every line has a purpose, sometimes a dual purpose. If the reader doesn't see the purpose initially, it's usually there tapping them on the other shoulder.

When I read this piece I see the first half dealing with the dreaming/fantasizing of a new love. In those fantasies everything is always so perfect and often the dreamer is brave---afraid of nothing. After all it's a fantasy. This is mostly in the second stanza: (also my favorite lines)

Bring your magic to my bedside,
drip your words across my cheeks,
staining my pillows like blissful tears,
leaving me to soak in a sea crafted
by the intangible depths of your mind.

But yet at the brink of the fantasy becoming reality, some of it isn't as the dreamer expected. This is so true. Fear sets in but the dreamer chooses to push on eyes adapting, filled with fear, but giving birth to chance.

Thanks for the offering!

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is actually very erotic in an intriguing, primally immersive way. And that "sea crafted by the intangible depths of your mind" summons up the sentient ocean of Solaris, pulling fleshly phantasms out of scientific psyches. This is an Eros that aspires to the whole arc: sexual-romantic-creative-spiritual -- returning to sea as Source to find whole what has been partitioned by socialization. A brave and beautiful testimony.



Posted 15 Years Ago


What a magical, captivating piece. "Drip your words across my cheeks" - the second section is especially brilliant.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wonderful metaphor!!!! talking about fears surrounding new love and letting go to see the depth of the emotion and to give to the temptation of desire or Eros. I also saw the fears of all things new or even old with new beginnings, I can also see ourselves and our inner daemons and the strength to face them slowly
or at least this what floated into the painting of my mind:) I enjoyed the flow and the imagery it brought to me my mind,Also saw elemental work at hand here in the conjuring of the ocean to bring forth courage from the oceans magic and its energy . Excellent work

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think this poem contains and expresses a very positive point of view. The most important clue to the intent of the piece, I think, lies in these lines, "I tread waist-deep into the darkness,/washing away apprehension/and giving birth to chance." A postulant seeking enlightenment is said to experience a "dark night of the soul" before finding ultimate meaning. If someone is to release themselves to the possibility of romantic love with another, they must relinquish control over their own life, because the new life becomes a shared one that neither can dominate.

I think both ideas are at play here.

The speaker stands upon a shore without moonlight. In other words, there is no signpost suggesting which of two possible paths is the correct one. But, the speaker tests the ocean with her toes as her eyes learn to see on a moonless night. Then come the lines, "I tread waist-deep into the darkness,/washing away apprehension/and giving birth to chance." This expresses the realization that there is never a correct path to take, there are only different choices, each of which will cause different experiences to occur, but the experiences which are to arise are never knowable in advance.

The letting go of apprehension can be a metaphor for letting go of the "ego," which must occur on the path to enlightenment. One learns one has no control over life, that all attempts to control the outcomes of situations are inevitably futile. But this speaker sees that giving birth to chance is actually being reborn, coming to a second life, the state of enlightenment. (I think this is a secondary meaning in the poem, maybe not intended, but it is there nonetheless, and so valid and important.)

Or, if one wishes to read this with a different focus, one can see the growth of an individual in another area of life. Stop and consider that the sea is often used as a symbol for sex. But, what is sex other than an expression of love (well, it can be less than that, but in this poem, we are set up to see sex as the symbol for love from the outset, but primarily drawn out through the second stanza). The speaker stands at love's shoreline and finds she has no moon to light the way. True love is not lit up by the moon, but remains hidden in the shadows of darkness. The speaker (like all of us) must find the truth of true love outside the senses, on one's own, without signposts saying, "exit here." Letting go into love means letting go and giving up all sense of security and knowing love's path may lead anywhere the two lovers decide to take its course. The path seems cold, frigid. Yet, the lure of love's potential opens the speaker's mind and heart to the possibilities within uncertainty. This is a brave path.

Truly a poem representing someone transforming, growing, a flower unfolding. The speaker is revealed as someone giving up issuing demands to life that it must be as she wants it to be, but accepting it will be as it is, embracing the joy of riding on a wave that leads into the unknown, but that in the unknown lies all the hope and joy and beauty of infinite possibility, and it will all be new and exciting since it comes without preconceived notions of what it must be. This is scary, but liberating! It is brave.

Some of the lines here that are just knockouts include:

Conjure me the ocean tonight;
whisper her melancholy crashing

drip your words across my cheeks,
staining my pillows like blissful tears,
leaving me to soak in a sea

Tonight I stand before a shore
that is painfully devoid of moonlight,
my eyes adapting, toes testing
the frigid and frothy waters,

Taking these lines out and calling attention to them is not to infer any inferiority in the other lines, this is only to say these lines, these words, express an incredibly magical use of language. Beautifully written! - EllisD

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love this piece.
There is a great sense of magic here. I can't even decide which part I like the best, but it's great throughout. Thanks for posting.

Posted 15 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

378 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on September 13, 2008

Author

Anima Inspired
Anima Inspired

Sunny California



About
RECENT NEWS: I'm proud to say that two of my pieces "The City" (a collection of Haiku) and "Jazz" will be featured in the Boston Literary Magazine's Fall issue. It's a great journal with very respon.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..