Ma Petite Fleur - Chapter One

Ma Petite Fleur - Chapter One

A Chapter by ~AnnaCentric~
"

The new girl is introduced to Raveena.

"

“Ma Petite Fleur”

Chapter One

 

      A middle-aged woman sat elegantly in her easy chair, staring up at the ceiling and waiting for Amaya’s, one of her servants, return from town. Then Lars, her brother’ peered into the entryway.

      Raveena, the slave you requested to have has arrived,” Amaya told the tall blonde woman. “Shall I send her in?”

      “Yes, thank you,” Raveena said.

      Lars nodded and left. In a moment a young girl who looked about half Raveena’s age crawled in on her hands and knees to the woman’s feet and sat. She didn’t look up; fearful that looking her Owner in the eye would result in a beating.

      Raveena sensed the girl’s fear and assured her, “Don’t be afraid, little one. I won’t hurt you.”

She touched the girl’s head; the girl flinched.

      “Shhh, it’s all right, child,” Raveena cooed. “Look at me. Don’t be afraid.”

      The girl slowly looked up at Raveena. Her bright blue eyes were outlined by red. Streams of tears stained her pale face. And her bottom lip quivered. Raveena pitied her. She got off her easy chair and knelt down to the girl’s level.

      “You poor child, what did they do to you?” she breathed.

      The girl started sobbing passionately, unable to contain herself and filled with confusion. Raveena held her close, stroking her hair.

      “You’re safe here, ma petite fleur. No harm will come to you,” she said gently.

The girl kept crying, and eventually it wore her out, and she fell to sleep. Lars came into the room.

      “Is everything all right?” she asked.

      “Yes,” Raveena answered. “She just needed some time to cry.”

~*~*~*~

      Raveena came down the steps after securing her new sleeping beauty in one of the guest rooms. She’d memorized the image of the girl’s sleeping face, and thought it to be adorable as she entered the dining room. Two of her family’s servants, Leonardo and Amaya, sat talking at the table. The two were in love ever since Leonardo was welcomed into the home.

Leonardo stopped talking and stared at Raveena when she went up to them.

      “How is she?” he questioned.

      “Asleep,” Raveena replied.

      “She’s cute, my Lady,” he said, and laughed when Amaya hit his arm half-jealously.

      “So, Amaya,” Raveena uttered, her eyes peering over at the young lady.

      “Yes, Mistress?” Amaya asked, blinking.

      “I sent you to get the girl and I also asked you to get to know her.”

      “I remember.”

      “Well? Tell me.”

      Amaya set down her tea cup and glanced up at a corner of the ceiling. She recalled the ride home with the girl.

      “She didn’t say very much,” she mumbled thoughtfully. “All she would tell me is her name is Melissa and she is nineteen years old.”

      “Have any personal thoughts on her?”

      “As I assumed, she is extremely fearful and quiet. It’s obvious she’s been abused more than any of us. But other than that, no. I had nothing to go off of.”

Raveena hummed interestedly.

      “My Lady? May I ask you something?” Leonardo wondered.

      “You may,” Raveena granted.

      “Why did you want this particular girl so earnestly?”

      Then Raveena put her hand to her cheek, her elbow resting on her other arm. She didn’t want to admit it just yet, but when she saw that girl in the slave house she thought it was love at first sight. The girl was so lovely, even in her tattered clothes. Her face was unlike any Raveena had seen before; it was beyond stunning, she described it as angelic.

Raveena hadn’t noticed she had gotten lost in the memory. Leonardo looked at Amaya, and she at him.

      “Uh"Lady Raveena?”

      “Ah! Right, sorry,” Raveena apologized. “Somehow, I knew she needed somebody. One who will let her show her true colors. That look in her eye showed me more than fear. She needs me.”

      Just as she finished her sentence another young woman came into the room. Her name was Amy, and Raveena had rescued her from slavery three years before. She had a skeptical look on her face and she folded her arms.

      “So she isn’t going to be your slave,” she acknowledged, almost annoyed.

      “You should know by now, my dearest Amy, that I do not own slaves. Slavery is a harsh and degrading act that I will not tolerate,” Raveena explained in a matter-of-fact manner. “Have you forgotten that I saved you from that very thing you speak of now? Have you forgotten that my family and I have saved all of you? None of you here are slaves. You may come and go as you please.”

      “I haven’t forgotten, Mistress,” Amy uttered, sulking. “Forgive me.”

      “Forgiven.”

Raveena held her arms out to Amy, who went and drew herself in. Raveena’s caress was soft and loving.

~*~*~*~

      Melissa had been awake for a half an hour before the bedroom door was opened. She saw Raveena and, out of fear and habit, dropped to the floor on her hands and knees, her forehead lying on the back of her palms; an act of respect. Raveena didn’t recognize the gesture but understood its intention. She moved over to the girl and lifted her face. Gleaming sad eyes bore into hers. Melissa whimpered softly. She tried to look away, and Raveena let her.

      “Are you afraid?” Raveena quietly questioned.

Melissa nodded silently.

      “As I said before"you needn’t be. Here you will not be harmed.”

She cupped Melissa’s face in her hands. Tears appeared in the girl’s eyes.

      “What ails you now?”

      “How",“ but Melissa stopped; she’d been taught never to question her Owner.

Raveena’s chin lowered, and she raised an eyebrow.

      “Go on,” she beckoned. “You have my permission.”

Melissa shook her head, lips clamping.

      Raveena sighed, “All right then. I have some questions I want to ask you. Is that okay?”

The girl nodded without saying a word.



© 2012 ~AnnaCentric~


Author's Note

~AnnaCentric~
Ma petite fleur in French means "my little flower."

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Anna,
I think that since your stories take place in the middle ages, you would benefit greatly from reading a book by Geraldine Brooks entitled "Caleb's Crossing". Ms. Brooks won a Pulitzer Prize for it! The story takes place in the 16oo's and what is so fascinating about it is that she writes it in the first person and so has to use the kind of language which was common to that day. The English language has evolved and many of the expression we have today didn't exist then. For example, you wrote:
" “She’s cute, my Lady,” he said, and laughed when Amaya hit his arm half-jealously."
Back in the day, the description "cute" to describe someone was not used. If all the words you employ to convey the story are today's English, you will instantly lose credibility with your readers. In other words, it's not just your dialog which has to be ye olde, the rest has to fit also.
I would love to read your story again, after your have read "Caleb's Crossing"!
A.J.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
~AnnaCentric~

11 Years Ago

Thanks again for the lovley review A.J.
I'd just like to clarify something; this story doesn'.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
1 Review
Added on October 31, 2012
Last Updated on October 31, 2012
Tags: slave, freedom, girls


Author

~AnnaCentric~
~AnnaCentric~

Cameron Park, CA



About
I've been interested in writing since my sophomore year of high school. My topics of writing normally circle around Europe in the 13-1400's (at the time of the Black Death), but lately I've been dippi.. more..

Writing
Kyoto Kyoto

A Poem by ~AnnaCentric~