What is it?

What is it?

A Poem by AnnieLou

I woke up with an ache 
-an ache of the mind,
an ache of the heart.
I woke up longing for a time 
that I have never lived, 
that I will never live.
Something is missing. 
The room is bright
but the light only covers
the scratches on the wall; 
It can not repair them. 
Something is missing. 
The room is placed in perfection 
but perfection only shows 
the agitation of the mind; 
it can not comfort it. 
Something is missing 
and it’s the life I have never lived; 
that I will never live. 
Life is final and so is death. 
Once a second passes…  
…..it will not come back….

© 2019 AnnieLou


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow this is a strong poem love it to bits, thanks for entry into my competition.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Hi, AnnieLou,
First, I want to welcome you.
Next, to thank you for sharing your poetry pieces (all of which I've read); especially this one … though, I've enjoyed them each differently.
From your title, I was inspired to try and figure out what "it" is while reading down and through each line and verse.
After verse one, I was sure it was love, affection, closeness, and sharing. After verse two, I wondered if it is someone precious, along with your dreams, that had somehow waned or died. Onto verse three, where recovery had begun, but not all the way. Now, in verse four, it appears that the hurt has healed enough, that everything is in place for life to be blessed again, but it still isn't. Finally, verse five reveals that life, love, dreams, yearning, all of the emotions, thoughts, feelings, desires, etc. that had not survived or become real … along with time … has been thus far wasted, never again to be reclaimed.
And, I must agree, AnnieLou … yet, once it's ever been had, it can be recognized and resurrected, and if not, it may still bless you with its wondrous grace … even if only in the enthrallment of imagination and dreams … even life and death may may coexist ⁓ ever-blending, overflowing, melding one into the other.
You sure got me thinking and imagining here. : )
This is such beautifully rendered Free Verse poetry, with an easy flow, powerful word imagery, a touch of melancholy mystery, and blended with deep emotion, leaving one wanting to reach and embrace while the moment's nigh.
"I woke up with an ache
-an ache of the mind,
an ache of the heart."
Who could resist being deeply touched and roused?

I love it, AnnieLou, and hope you'll stay here to share and enjoy … big hugs! ⁓ Richard 🍃

PS: Thanks for your lovely review of my "Explaining to a Leaf".

Posted 4 Years Ago


Good imagery, especially in verse 3. Indeed, you can't get any time back. I believe this poem speaks for the way many people feel, consciously or not.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 9, 2019
Last Updated on May 9, 2019

Author

AnnieLou
AnnieLou

Minneapolis, MN



About
I truly don't know how I got here, but here I am. more..

Writing
The Hum The Hum

A Poem by AnnieLou


Burning Burning

A Poem by AnnieLou