A coronavirus melancholy

A coronavirus melancholy

A Poem by Annette Phillip
"

My poem is about the effects of coronavirus on the world.

"


A coronavirus melancholy is definitely upon us, this generation never thought that lives could change because of a confounded virus.
All demographics functioning on the norm, elderly people having tea on their balcony, the twenty-somethings on YouTube, social media, Snapchat living vicariously through their virtual reality.
Knowing that nothing could be better than no communication, everything is truly all about me.
The selfish keep on being selfish, the rich keep on being rich and tragically the poor keep on being poor.
What a perfect world of harmony.
Hey, don't shoot the poet isn't that the new reality?

Some of us can't wait for Summer, plans were already made for the trips we paid for.
Tickets bought two years ago, we are in control of everything we know.
Like the wars and fighting that continue around the world is it Tuesday or Wednesday when we shoot the ones we hate the most?
Carnival all over the place England, Canada, and the USA.
We West Indians can hardly wait for Caribana, Labor Day and fete, fete, fete.
Life is so complacent and satisfying that we don't even allow God to have a say, people depend on themselves to live to see another day.
We humans truly think we are one hundred percent in control of our destiny.

Nobody knew how their world was going to change, it wasn't only the neighbor or the family on prospect place, or the homeless sleeping on the J train that would be greatly affected.
All generations alive in 2020 were going to suffer from an invisible enemy, mind you it was not the devil but a virus so slick and so cunning it knew where it could get you and get the whole darn world infected.
Coronavirus is its name and it traps the whole world with its deadly plague. It doesn't care if you are white or black, rich or poor. Tom Hanks or the postman bringing all your mail to your door.
It needs a host to survive and human beings would become it's prize.

This virus brought our world upside down, that people all over the world started calling out to God.
Praying on their knees on every corner of the streets
A God that some of them never wanted to meet.
The word social distancing was never used at all until coronavirus came through China's walls.
An airborne virus so deadly that if you sneeze, cough or breath you end up dying ferociously.
Everybody has to wear a mask but it's not like our superheroes we idolize so much.
It doesn't come with a cape and a flair, it's a mask to cover your face so coronavirus won't comprise your breathing air.

Covid19 showed us who run things
Everyone under lockdown and quarantined.
Nail salons, Barber shops, restaurants and bars all had to close their doors.
Places slowly became like eerie ghost towns
Our lives have become gloves and face masks,
Six feet distance on top the ground not six feet under for now.
So many people have died because of a virus that took complete control of our lives.
A global pandemic is all the rave, but it's not that kind of party that we all craved.
The world did come together as one, but not the way that we all dreamed off.
I pray before 2020 is done we can get a vaccine to kill this son of a gun.
Coronavirus needs to go, coronavirus you are not going to win this show.













© 2020 Annette Phillip


Author's Note

Annette Phillip
What do you think of this poem?
Is it worth publishing some day.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on May 15, 2020
Last Updated on May 15, 2020
Tags: #virus #pandemic #world #cough #

Author

Annette Phillip
Annette Phillip

NY



About
My name is Annette Phillip and I love writing since I was a little girl. Poetry is my passion and I hope I can inspire others with my writing. I would love to publish all my poetry one day soon. In th.. more..

Writing