What's the real normal

What's the real normal

A Poem by Annette Phillip
"

This poem is about depression and how it affects person with depression. They way it interferes with their everyday lives.

"

Her thoughts are racing, she has nowhere to run, she can't escape it.
What is happening she screams out.
The dark clouds are coming hanging over her, the dark clouds are coming. So gloomy, so sad, an abyss of emptiness and darkness.
She reaches the surface of the sunlight, but still feels invisible when she gets in its broad daylight.

Her heart is beating uncontrollably. Anxiety is rushing ten fold.
It takes over her whole being, she is a slave to its fear.
She wants to die but death eludes her, she shouts "someone so young should not want to die, I have a lot more life to live make it stop, make this madness stop. "
Depression they call it, it makes her go insane.

What kind of disease makes one feel so alone.
The thought of jumping off high buildings protrudes through her mind. Hopelessness prevails all through those sleepless nights.
Her body aches all over, is this new cancer they didn't tell her about?
When will it eventually consume me, and end my wretched life?
Those thoughts raced through her crazed mind.

Socializing with friends, all of a sudden it feels like everyone is staring, the walls are caving in.
She thinks in a panic "what did I do wrong?"
Turn this way, that way all eyes on her.
Suddenly her heart begins to race and she runs to the bathroom.
Brace yourself, she shouts as she looks in the mirror, you look a wreck, feel a wreck.
Tears of insanity run down her face, desperation seeps in.
She is consumed by this dreaded disease called depression.

The doctor tells her she must medicate, the only way to get better, the only way to be whole again. Anti-depressants will now be a permanent part of her life, but she knows her brain will be balanced again.
She sees hope again rising high in the sky, visible in the sunshine so longed for, so craved like it was her favorite Rocky road ice cream.
She shouts that she is human again, truly alive, no longer screaming that deafening scream, that unreachable scream no one heard.

Depression is a serious illness like any disease, it can be really scary but you are never alone.
There is also the spiritual guidance from the One up above who never, ever leaves your side, He reassures all hope you think that is gone.
Trust that God got you, the way no one else can.
He puts people in your path so reach out, shout, we will all be there.
We want to hear your screams so we can draw you out of that darkness that feels like a pit of emptiness.
The life you want to live will be normal again.
That racing heartbeat will no longer be afraid.
For you are never, never alone.

Written by Annette Phillip
©









© 2020 Annette Phillip


Author's Note

Annette Phillip
What does this poem say to you?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very powerful!

Fortunately, I have not had to suffer the condition. I know a few people that have/had it, but it had never been described so totally, even by experts, that I have seen anyway.

Very meaningful work! Thank you, and wish you a very good future!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very powerful!

Fortunately, I have not had to suffer the condition. I know a few people that have/had it, but it had never been described so totally, even by experts, that I have seen anyway.

Very meaningful work! Thank you, and wish you a very good future!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
1 Review
Added on May 17, 2020
Last Updated on May 17, 2020
Tags: #depression, #unhappy, #life, #medication, #mind

Author

Annette Phillip
Annette Phillip

NY



About
My name is Annette Phillip and I love writing since I was a little girl. Poetry is my passion and I hope I can inspire others with my writing. I would love to publish all my poetry one day soon. In th.. more..

Writing