Fields Of Barley

Fields Of Barley

A Poem by N. N. Grainger
"

I almost never get inpiration from ewhat i see "Because her eyes are like mine, when she looks my way."

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Fields Of Barley.



 

Fields of Barley

 

When the nascent barley is a sheet of silk-

Billowing in field breeze.

Summer haze sails the sea;

A majestic-feather lime green.

 

I wade, hip deep in this satin land.

Fingertips through silk mist,

It laps my waist, I hands kiss the surface

And stroke barley though olive-branch fists.

 

Squint these eyes, away to my shoulder,

Turn away from gold blinding white.

The weather’s hands are on my skin,

Radiates to the touch by molten gold light.

 

I stand beneath sky; crystal blue.

Pure on all degrees: clouds are air today

And so my eyes mirror above:

Blue-eyed warmth and the end of May.

 

Rippling satin-green whispers its song

To the applause of distant living green

Darkened with age - ancient oaks

Carried by breeze and it whispers to me.

 

Her eyes are sweet jade and honey dew gaze

She is lily of the valley and crisp white wine

I'm told by her scent; mostly my senses

In cotton white linen, she is divine-

 

Don’t look away; I am of a flutter.

I narrow my eyes and slow my gait;

She’s too close for discomfort,

Because her eyes are like mine, when she looks my way.

© 2009 N. N. Grainger


Author's Note

N. N. Grainger
today we went out for dinner and the resaurant was out in the country, the yard connected yo a field of barley, it had a track through it and the sky was sooo blue. i almost never get inspiration from what i see, it's usually what i think or feel but this just had to be written, i even tooka picture. the beautiful woman is ficticious unfortunatly lol



Featured Review

This is a magnificent masterpiece, painting done in word form. I very much admire what you have so elegantly written. You compare to a very well seasoned (trying to be nice to us older ones,lol) poet. No matter how long a person has written to be able to use the descriptive touches as you have in this writing makes you truly a poetess. I admire your form and skill. I could place myself within this piece, seeing, feeling and smelling all that you envisioned. Keep this exceptional talent going! Look forward to reading more of your works in the future.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

you're a talented writer. I was glued to the last line. When it ended I was thrown out into reality again. Amazing! Learned a new viewpoint of a hymn of beauty!

"Her eyes are sweet jade and honey dew gaze
She is lily of the valley and crisp white wine
I'm told by her scent; mostly my senses
In cotton white linen, she is divine-"

these lines are my most favourite!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't think I've ever seen a barley field, but I feel like I have after reading your outstanding, lovely poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Absolutely beautiful with vivid and provacative imagery. You took that inspiration and ran with it. Excellent work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Reading this feels like the dream I had the other night about the ocean- where I was drawn out to the water, yearning for something I wasn't even sure even existed but knew I had to find.
Your description of the feel of the barley under your hands is exquisite, and I can picture it rolling like the waves in the ocean, in that golden afternoon sunlight. It's obvious you see more when you look than what others see.
What a truly beautifully written work.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a magnificent masterpiece, painting done in word form. I very much admire what you have so elegantly written. You compare to a very well seasoned (trying to be nice to us older ones,lol) poet. No matter how long a person has written to be able to use the descriptive touches as you have in this writing makes you truly a poetess. I admire your form and skill. I could place myself within this piece, seeing, feeling and smelling all that you envisioned. Keep this exceptional talent going! Look forward to reading more of your works in the future.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Your descriptions are top-notch and inviting, and the ending was ambiguous and definite at once.
I have high praise for this.
My only complaint is that you used way too many colors; I felt overwhelmed and confused, and while they felt necessary, I felt it was too much.
:]

Posted 14 Years Ago


The images, the descriptions...it all. Great write! Thanks for sharing this one!

Janice Ann

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wonderfully written!
Descriptive.
I enjoy reading of scenes that inspire people, it's beautiful.
You did a stunning job.
On a side note, I must say that your bio page inspired me to read your work haha, it made me laugh.
The part where you draw the arrow & ask people to read, classic!
10 points for the best bio page I've read!

Yours truly,
cloud6

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh my God...this is so beautifully descriptive! Wow. Well, you just changed my perspective on fields of any kind...and I have a sudden urge to go to the country for an outing...

NICELY DONE!

I wade, hip deep in this satin land.
Fingertips through silk mist,
It laps my waist, my hands kiss the surface
And stroke barley through olive-branch fists.

you know, I wanted to pick a favorite passage but it's impossible. Each stanza, almost each line, is a poem in and of itself, and this is my favorite type of poem....one where, if the rest fell away, it could stand alone.

Bravo to this write...This is wonderfully written, painting a picture in my mind that is absolutely beautiful! Going in my Favorites, for sure!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2 Views
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 31, 2009

Author

N. N. Grainger
N. N. Grainger

Guisborough, Teesside, United Kingdom



About
Hello I'm Natalie :) I've been writing on and off now for about four or five years. I am currently studying English at advanced level and am soon to pursue a degree which I hope will involve some for.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..