The Dangers of Trust

The Dangers of Trust

A Story by AAmell
"

This is half story/ half angry rant about people being so trusting of those who have knowledge of something.

"

The Dangers of Trust

Your skin looks a little dry. Does it? And your hair looks a little thin. I hadn’t noticed. Well let me tell you, you’re in luck; I have here a special oil that can cure all your ailments, derived from that skin of African snakes. African snakes you say? Yes sir, this here’ll make your skin nice and smooth and thicken up that hair of yours! Wow, I hadn’t even noticed that it was dry. Only four dollars for a whole bottle here. Ok, I guess I’ll take one.

***

There’s a dangerous illusion that exists in this world. Those who claim they have knowledge can convince those of higher thought of absurd things. A travelling man can tell you you have thin hair, and you’ll believe him. He must know a lot, he looks like a successful businessman. He’s smart. He’s looking out for my interests. He must know a lot.

No one is above being human. Take your classes, learn your terms, obtain your badges that say you’re someone in life. Watch as your head grows beneath your hair. It’ll grow so large that you won’t be able to see past the bridge of your nose. It’ll grow so large that you’ll only take time to watch how big it gets, and you’ll forget to use that knowledge properly. When your hair line hits the clouds you’ll think you’ve transcended your human flesh. You know everything; not even God can hold back in sharing his omniscience. That stethoscope around our neck makes a cold dagger against the warm flesh, but not as cold as the icy words that befall their ears.

I know everything. I am so smart. God might even ask ME a question, being that I know so much. Did I learn after college? Excuse me, but I did my eight years. I don’t have to learn anymore, I know it all.Yes, I know it all. Trust me. Your baby’s head looks a little big. I think something might be wrong with her.

She’s acting just like all the other babies her age. In fact, She is more advanced than some that are older than her.

No, you don’t know. I know. I’m the one who knows. I went to school for eight years, and I’m the one who knows. There’s something wrong with your baby.

Well, what do you mean?

We need to scan her head. I think something might be wrong. It is just a bit too large

Ok, if you say so. I just want the best for my child. I just want her to be healthy. And if you say she needs it, and you went to school for eight years, then I trust you.

Good. Yes, I know what I’m talking about. I went to school and read books twenty years ago. I went for eight years. So let’s get your baby’s head scanned. I think there is something wrong. Her hair looks a little thin also; I suggest using this oil.

***

Knowledge can be dangerous when it’s been put in the wrong hands. Those who cannot stop the growing of their heads, who care too much about being right, who place their reputation above evidence, who stay purposely blind to new knowledge, who diagnose because they cannot feel validated about their inquiry unless there is some kind of outcome. They can convince a healthy person that their scalp isn’t nourishing the hair properly; that their skin is a little ashy. Your child is sick. Nevermind that you’re around them all the time; I’m the one who knows. Nevermind that you see them walk, babble, eat, sleep, cry, poop, and learn faster than all the other kids. I’m the one who knows. I went to school for eight years. I examined your baby for eight minutes, and I’m the one who says your baby’s head is too large. They might have disease X.

But doctor, I researched Disease X. It occurs in infants with small heads, not large. And The symptoms are severe. We would have noticed at least something, don’t you think?

No no no. Your baby has this. She needs to get her head scanned. And where did you read that? The internet? You can’t trust the internet.

Actually my source was the National Institute of Health. So my resources are your resources. And they say that you’re wrong.

No no no. I am right. I went to school for eight years.

I don’t care. You wrong and I know it. You don’t see my child each day, I do. I see her cry. I see her walk. I see her learn. You read words printed on a page, twenty years ago. You looked at black and white pictures, and I see my childs face animated each and every day. You DON’T know. You think you know. You think you know it all, but you don’t. You looked at my healthy child and tilted your head. You made me worry that something was wrong when her head when it is only as large as mine was as a child. I turned out fine, and her head is fine. You think you know it all but you don’t. The thing you claim is wrong with her happens in kids with small heads, not large. She is a year old and disease X is diagnosed when the child is four months old. Disease X also shows symptoms of severe learning trouble. She learns faster than those who are twice her age. I’m not going to subject my child to drugs and tests because you think you know everything; I refuse to buy your snake oil. So no, Doctor, you don’t know everything. My child’s head is fine. You are the one with the big head.

© 2015 AAmell


Author's Note

AAmell
I became internally outraged about people not trusting their own mind, and instead trusting those who only know what they learned out of a book. Research. Listen to your own mind. Do not let people form your thoughts. THINK for yourself.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on November 23, 2015
Last Updated on November 23, 2015
Tags: doctor, sickness, rant, trust, danger, think

Author

AAmell
AAmell

YUCAIPA, CA



About
I'm 25 years old, have been married for over 1 year now, have a 2 year old son, am going to school full time for English: Linguistics, and work full time as the sole source of income for my family at .. more..

Writing