The Frog's Path

The Frog's Path

A Story by Anya
"

Short Fairly Tale

"

The Frog’s Path


    On a bright summer day, deep in the woods, Mila the Fairy glided down a path. The sun was warm. The forest was green with moss. Wild flowers were scattered along the well beaten path. The day was shaping up to be wonderfully magical. Mila was giddy with all the possibilities as she floated along the path. As she went she happened upon Fearghus the Frog. He was completely focused upon a stone that looked like a mysterious misty morning had been trapped inside a rock. 

    “Good day, Fearghas!” Mila rang out in a sing-song tone. “Isn’t it a wonderful summer morning?”

    “Yes, yes, dear… hello and all that,” Fearghus replied distractedly. He didn’t look up from the foggy stone. 

    “What do you have?” Mila asked curiously. 

With frustration Fearghus pulled his attention away from the swirling rock to address the fairy. “The old witch from the mountains passed through our woods yesterday. She sold me this seer’s stone. When a choice is before you the stone will show you what future will come of making either decision. 

“How interesting!” Mila marveled, finding herself so intrigued that she took a seek next to the frog. 

“I was eager to put the stone to the test. I set out for my morning stroll when I came upon these two paths on the road before us. As you know, the left path leads to the pond and the right into the village. I looked deep into the seer stone to ask which path to take. The cloudiness dissipated into dream-like images. If I take the path to the left I will meet one of the nieces of the old Frog Faolan. We will fall in love, have children, and live a long happy life together.”

“Oh! How wonderful!” Mila sighed with dreamy love struck eyes. 

“But if I take the path to the right I will meet the nephew of the old Frog Ferdinand. He will have a business proposition that will allow us to travel to far off lands and bring us great wealth. We will be able to provide for our families here in the woods and live long lives filled with adventure.”

“How marvelous!” Mila exclaimed. “Both paths lead to great futures. You are truly a lucky frog dear Fearghus.”

“But which path is the correct path?!” Fearghus whined in dismay. “They both are very nice, but I do not know which one to choose.”

Mila shrugged, “It seems to me that whichever you choose will lead to a long happy life. I don’t know that one is more correct than the other.”

“But there must be a correct path! I just have to think through the options,” Fearghus sounded both determined and defeated at the same time. 

Mila perched upon a boulder near the path to assist the frog with his dilemma. 

“If you take the path to the left you will find true love, and what could be more wonderful in the world?” Mila offered. 

“But then will I be doomed to the stagnation of these woods never to see the world because of my duties?” Fearghus retorted. 

“If you take the path to the right you will have adventure to fill books and the imaginations of all who hear!” exclaimed Mila. 

“But then will I be doomed to loneliness chasing adventure but never knowing love?” Fearghus whimpered. 

For every positive aspect she provided for a path Fearghus dismissed it with a negative. And for every negative point Mila proposed Fearghus countered with a positive. The situation was becoming more and more hopeless. 

The beautiful sunny day was fading into a comfortably cool evening. Fireflies began to awaken in the trees. Mila realized she had spent the entire summer day on the side of the path with Fearghus the Frog staring into his cloudy seer stone. She could still salvage the day if she made it home in time for a warm supper. Perhaps she could play the flute for her neighbors in the cool evening. Or have a nice long chat with the Ambroz the Wise Owl over tea. 

Mila tried to tell Fearghus she was sorry she could not help, and that she wished him the best in his decision, but the frog was hopelessly consumed by his visions in the foggy stone. He continued muttering to himself about love and adventure, wealth and poverty. He did not notice as Mila slipped away down the forest path back home. Instead Fearghus sat paralyzed  with indecision, staring into his cloudy seer stone on the side of the forest path as the evening passed into a starry night.

© 2021 Anya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice story. The imagination and the character names are wonderfully made. Well done.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 3, 2021
Last Updated on February 3, 2021
Tags: fairy tale, frog, fairy, fantasy

Author

Anya
Anya

About
I've always loved writing, but never tried for an audience. Giving it a shot now. My focus is modern fairy tales. more..