The Full Realization

The Full Realization

A Chapter by Apebble
"

Milo finally learns his true potential...and his true purpose.

"
In every tale of a hero, or villain, rarely are the powers of the individual fully realized at the very start, if even at all. The man generally wanders around the world in his early life, later to realize he can do certain things others cannot �" he has power.

Over the next few years, the hero hones this ability he found, manufacturing wonder with the talent. The power becomes almost second nature to him, being able to command the power at will. Then suddenly, the powers grow. The power branches off into something similar, but with entirely different effects. Almost like a tree has the base stem with several branches leading off and then onto leaves.

In determining whether or not Milo is a hero, villain, or somewhere in the undefined, he must exhibit these characteristics of either side to qualify into one of the aspects of being powered. He must grow. He must branch off these powers into something magnificent...or malevolent.

Such a point in Milo's life came on his 18th birthday, June 1 1998. The table had been set with the finest tableware available, lined with silver rimming and glimmering silverware placed fashionably at the side. The center of the table laid a magnificent honey-baked ham drizzled with Milo's favorite seasoning. Along the table followed the corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, a few ribs, and the best of all �" a large chocolate and vanilla cake. The sight was splendid to behold.

Gathered 'round the table were a few relatives, some of Milo's friends, and lastly �" Milo's mother. His stepdad was nowhere to be found, but Milo didn't complain. Ever since Milo was little up until even then, the stepdad constantly abused him. He claimed he was “making Milo stronger”, when with every whip and every lash it only scarred his body...and broke his heart. Milo had soon lost the ability to cry. Not that he couldn't cry, you understand. The issue was not with the physical inability, but rather the emotional inability. So much in Milo's life had transpired that he had become numbed to most forms of pain, whether it were physical or emotional...it mattered not. The last tears Milo ever shed was the beating he had received the night of his Uncle's death, as he was blamed for making his mother depressed over the death of her brother.

Although joy and happiness were fairly remote in Milo's mind, he did manage to sketch out a grin across his face for this momentous occasion �" his 18th birthday! Milo sat at the head of the elongated table, just where the curtain cascaded over it and into a fine point. Beside him sat his mother on the right, and an empty seat to the left for his absent stepfather.

Milo's mother calmed down the joking and the chatter and finally got everyone to agree to a dinner prayer.

“Dear Heavenly Father, I want to thank you for letting us all gather here today to celebrate Milo's 18th birthday. I remember the night he was born, he was so small and fragile. He may still be small and fragile but he's grown to be an amazing man. Thank you for allowing him to be in my life. It has truly been a blessing. Please bless this food and fellowship tonight. We love you and praise you. Amen.”

Milo turned his head to his mom with glossy eyes and whispered, “Thanks, mom. That meant a-”

Before Milo could even finish out the whisper, in came the step dad barging in with liquor in hand stumbling about. He tried to compose himself on the way over, but only managed to make himself like a sophisticated fool. Around came his arm on Milo's shoulder saying “Oh heeyyy! If it's not my faaav'rite stepson. What's this all about right here.”

Milo's mother, red in the face, piped up, “Honey...it's Milo's 18th--”

“Woman! Was I talking to you!? No, I was talking to my buddy Milo. So, it's your birthday son?”

“Yea, I guess.”

“You guess? What the hell does that mean? You don't know your own birthday?”

He then took the hand wrapped around Milo's shoulder and slapped him across the face.

“You know now? You sure it's your birthday now?!”

“Ye-yes-yes! It's my birthday!”

“Oh ho ho, it's all about you isn't it? You know one of these days someone's gonna beat ya if you have that mindset. Kinda like this.”, he then closed off the sentence with a punch to the gut.

Milo recovered and let out a weak, “Don't touch me again.”

“Or what? You gon' get your mommy to come help?”

“No. Touch me again, and I'll kill you.”

Upon hearing this, the stepdad became enraged. A left hook planted itself in Milo's face, soon followed by a right jab to the gut. Milo then collapsed on the ground and was kicked by his stepfather.

Two of Milo's friends ten ran up to try and stop it, but the stepdad pulled out a knife...keeping both friends at bay. He then turned to the table and flipped it over...causing the entire wondrous display to come shattering to the ground. The plates' broken glass crashed partly onto Milo, giving him a few minor cuts on his cheek.

He then walked out the door, liquor bottle in hand. The two friends rushed down to Milo, who had just finally stopped coughing out blood.

“I'm going to kill him. I'm gonna kill him.”, Milo promised.

****

A week went by and Milo went back to school, starting the last semester of his senior year.

“Hey man, you feelin' better?” asked one of Milo's friends.

“A little bit. Still a bit bruised here and there, but overall I'm good.”

“Does that happen often? Like, him hitting you and stuff?”

“It doesn't get that bad usually. What you saw mainly only happens once every two months or so, but I get hit a little bit almost every other day.”

“Wow man, why don't you tell someone? Like, he could go to jail or somethin', right?”

“I want to, but he's all my mother really has. If I get him thrown in prison, she'll kinda be on her own. I can't really support our family.”

“I see. Well, you only have a few months left. Try to keep your chin up man.” the friend encouraged with a smile.

“No. I'm going to kill him. He is going to die by my hand. I don't know when, but it won't be later than April.”

“Mate, you don't wanna that. I mean, you may, but think of the consequences! It simply isn't worth it. He isn't worth it. And think, if you kill him,your mom will be all alone, right?”

At this point, Milo wanted out of the conversation. He ignored the 'warnings' of his friend and uttered, “I guess. Thanks.”

****

The school day went by and Milo waited until about 9:00 p.m. to come home. Luckily, his step dad had already passed out on the couch, allowing him to sneak by.

Milo then ran up to his room and started thinking about what his friend had said. He thought to himself, “Why can't he see it my way? I'm the victim here, and I deserve vengeance, right? Yes! Yes I do! I just wish I could make my friend see that.”

In that moment, something strange happened. Milo felt the more he thought about his friend, the more he could feel as if he were activating his flash. But...he couldn't see it. Milo pushed his mind harder and harder, trying to get the flash to appear, but nothing. Milo quickly stopped bothering, and went to sleep.

***

The next day at school, Milo's friend showed up eager to talk to Milo.

“Milo! Hey, I had the most interesting dream last night!”

Milo let out a sigh, “Is another stupid tale about you and your magical pig pinky? Honestly, I don't want to hear another 20 minute story about your long heartfelt exposure to your bacon love interest.”

“No, no. Not this time. Well, I did have one kinda like it a few days-- ah nevermind that! I had a dream about you. It was kinda odd though. It was me telling you to kill your dad.”

“Stepdad.”

“Yea, to kill your stepdad. I don't know why though. Huh...odd right?”

“Yea, real odd.” Milo said with a faked chuckle.

Milo went through the day just as before and laid down in his bed thinking, “Did I do that? I felt something, but it couldn't have possibly effected him could it? I'm the only one that can see it, right? I know! I'll try it again and see if similar results happen. Scientific method right?”

He turned off his television and computer and began thinking about his friend, specifically about his friend believing he (Milo) should kill his father. He thought hour upon hour, feeling the flashed beaming across his mind and trying to flood out from any available corner. The power was insane, the energy surging within him. And finally, Milo released. 

Milo saw the beam flash across the sky toward the home of his friend, something new from the night before.

“Alright, lets see if that did anything different.”

***

Milo woke up at about 7:00 a.m. the ext morning to the sound of his phone buzzing. His friend had texted him with the following, “Hey man, if you can, I need to talk with you after school. Keep it private.”

The school day rolled past and the two went behind the school building to begin their conversation.

“Hey Milo, you know how I said you shouldn't kill your stepdad?”

“Ummm, yea? Why?”

“I've changed my mind. I can't explain it, but I woke up at about 11:30 p.m. and felt like you should. I don't know why, but you should go through with it.”

“Ummm, I'm not sure. I'll think about it.”

“Hey! No, you gotta do it man. He deserves it. Anyone hits you, make em pay. You're the victim here and you deserve some vengeance...I see that now.”

Milo's face went pale...as he realized what he had done.


© 2014 Apebble


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on February 24, 2014
Last Updated on February 24, 2014


Author

Apebble
Apebble

About
Hi all :) I go by apebble, but you can call me almost any variation of apebble you wish (peb, pebs, pebbles, ape, etc.)...just don't call me apple :P As for myself as a writer: I write generally.. more..

Writing
This One Life This One Life

A Story by Apebble