How to NOT Save a Life

How to NOT Save a Life

A Story by Aphinion
"

When Noah is forced to save a man's life, he quickly learns that he is not quite equipped for the task...

"

 The city was bustling with life. People moved to and fro, their thoughts consumed by daily missions. Noah had average intentions as he strolled down B Street's crowded sidewalks. His mind was occupied by the typical list of chores an adult had. Noah couldn't say he was excited for his domestic duties, but things had to get done somehow. At least, that's what he told himself. Being an adult meant accepting that life would never be as interesting as you hoped.

Just as the thought crossed his mind, a man collapsed directly into Noah's path, nearly taking Noah with him. Stumbling briefly to maintain his footing, Noah bent over the man's seemingly unconscious figure.

“Sir,” Noah began, tapping the man's shoulder politely, just like Red Cross had taught him, “Sir, can you hear me?”

The man responded by letting his head flop limply onto the concrete. Civilians passed by in both directions, readily ignoring the tattered man's spontaneous nap.

Noah hovered his ear above the man's face. No breath. No breathing what-so-ever. That couldn't be good. Noah pulled his cell phone out and shakily called 911. It appeared that after only a few months of medical school, Noah was going to have to save a life.

With careful precision, Noah placed the palm of his hand over the man's breastbone and began chest compressions. 1 " 2 " 3 " 4...

Each shove jostled the man slightly against the rough ground. Noah kept his hands clasped tight and tried to ignore the man's unresponsiveness. 15 " 16 " 17 " 18...

A small crowd gathered around Noah, watching his desperate attempts to pump life back into the ragged man's body. Most were silent. Some whispered excitedly. No one offered to help. 27 " 28 " 29 " 30!

Noah bent over the man carefully and prepared to give rescue breaths. He lowered his head slowly, but just inches away from locking their lips, the man jumped to life and stabbed Noah abruptly in the chest.

An explosion of pain erupted in his sternum, sending Noah immediately upright and gasping for air. He stumbled blindly through the now overly-excited crowd into the street, clutching at the wound as blood ran over his fingers. His vision tunneled dramatically, and he looked up wearily just in time to see the large white vehicle mow him down in a fantastic display of flashing lights.  

© 2014 Aphinion


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow a really good twist at the end. Totally good, Aphinion

Posted 9 Years Ago


Aphinion

9 Years Ago

Thank you!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 26, 2014
Last Updated on May 26, 2014
Tags: irony, life, stabbing, accident, CPR

Author

Aphinion
Aphinion

Somewhere, CA



About
I've always read, and now I write. more..

Writing
Loss Loss

A Poem by Aphinion


Red Rover Red Rover

A Poem by Aphinion