The Good Fighter

The Good Fighter

A Story by Whitney Shaw
"

Carrying on a family tradition, Boxing.

"
There is an eighteen year old boy who has been fighting since he was only fifteen years old. His name is Freddie Long Legs. Boxing has been in his family for generations, it’s a tradition past down to the next generation. Freddie's Grandfather was the first Native American Indian to ever compete in the Olympics of boxing.
A boxing tournament was coming up for Freddie Long Legs; he'd been waiting for this day, for a long time. He has to fight Larry, a big guy with muscles. Freddie's father, Gary Long Legs is his coach. The tournament was finally here, it was time for Freddie, Gary, Larry and his father to sit down in front of the cameras and reporters.
"Freddie, so I have heard that you have never been to the Olympics, is this true?" asked the female reporter.
"Yes," said Freddie Long Legs.
"Where did you learn to fight?" asked the male reporter.
"Well I beat up this big cow boy on the Reservation, showed him a thing or too, also my Grandfather was the first Native American to ever compete in the Olympics of boxing from his tribe," said Freddie Long Legs.
"Who is your Grandfather?" asked the male reporter.
"Black Cloud," said Freddie Long Legs proudly.
"Well I'm not a cow boy, I am the nearest good thing there ever was," said Larry.
"Hey Larry, when are you going to take him out?" asked the female reporter.
"When am I going to take him out? When you beg me for more....then I'll take him out," smiled Larry.
"Freddie what do you have to say about that?" asked the male reporter.
"A big mouth is a sign of fear and ignorance," said Freddie Long Legs.
Larry jumped out of his chair and yelled.
"I'll take you on right now, Tonto! You, the Lone Ranger, Silver, your hold dang posse!" shouted Larry.
Freddie just smiled; Larry and his father went to their locker room as did Freddie and his father.
"How are you feeling?" asked Gary.
"Good," said Freddie taking a breath.
"Are you ready?" asked Gary.
"I am ready," said Freddie.
Gary brought down a box off of a shelf above them and opened it.
"This was your Grandfather's, I want you to have it, that's if you want it," said Gary Long Legs.
Freddie looked at his father and smiled, then they both walked out into the arena.
"Good luck son," said Gary Long Legs.
The bell rang.
"Touch gloves?" asked the referee.
So they touched gloves.
"This will be the last time your gloves ever touch mine," smiled Larry.
"We'll see about that," said Freddie Long Legs.
The bell rang again.
"FIGHT!" shouted the referee.
They started fighting, Larry kept hitting and pushing Freddie into the corner.
"Put your hands up son, hit him with your right!" shouted Gary Long Legs.
The bell rang again, Larry went to his corner, and Freddie went to his.
"He's strong," Freddie catching his breath.
"Your strong, he does not have what it takes, remember who you are fighting for?" asked Gary Long Legs.
"Apache Nation," said Freddie Long Legs.
"Good, now take deep breaths, suck in some air," said Gary.
The bell rang.
"It's my turn," said Freddie.
"FIGHT!" shouted the referee.
They started fighting, Larry was still pushing and punching Freddie into the corner again. Finally Freddie pushed Larry and got into the center of the arena and faced Larry.
Larry kept punching Freddie, and backing him into the corner, finally Freddie Long Legs started to growl, and show his teeth, there were native women chanting, drums being played, men chanting, then Freddie quickly moved to the left and hit Larry from behind. Then he just started beating on him as he was growling, everybody jumped up and started cheering, and yelling Freddie, Freddie. Gary just looked and smiled and was very proud.
Larry dropped to his knees and fell over, Freddie stopped growling and dropped his hands, everybody started cheering and clapping, Freddie started to look around and the native women and men, and the drums had stopped, he could finally hear the crowd. Gary came running inside the arena and gave him a huge hug and smiled.
"Where's the Olympics anyways," smiled Freddie.
They both laughed and walked to their locker room.
"You don't even know when it happens do you?" asked Gary.
"What, what happens in the ring, I don't know, I just fight," said Freddie Long Legs.
"Crossing into the Spirit world is a very powerful thing, they have chosen you, figure out why they call you?" asked Gary.
"Great, I thought only medicine men had to deal with this," laughed Freddie Long Legs.
"Let's go home," smiled Gary Long Legs.
So they packed all their belongings and went home.
Freddie Long Legs never did go to the Olympics, as he got older he had a wife, a son and a daughter. His son wanted to be a fighter also. So Freddie taught him everything he knew about boxing.
The years have come and gone, Freddie Long Legs is now a Grandfather himself. He tells his grandchildren stories that were told to him long ago by his father who herd them from his father and great Grandfather. Freddie Long Legs was 80 years old when he died.
"God said it was time for him to come home, He has a plan for us all either we know it or not, we do not know when our time is coming only He does. But the question is? Are you ready?

© 2016 Whitney Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on December 2, 2016
Last Updated on December 2, 2016
Tags: generation, Native, vision, spirit

Author

Whitney Shaw
Whitney Shaw

Midland, TX



About
I am Apache Native Indian, I am an Apostolic girl, I also have Cerebral Pasly it's a learning disability, has to do with motor skills in the brain. But I am blessed that I can walk, talk, read, but .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Whitney Shaw


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Whitney Shaw