Red Balloon Idols

Red Balloon Idols

A Poem by Jordan Harpter
"

This is my reaction to the westerners bringing western thinking and ideology to Haiti an its children when they are on short term outreaches.

"
I look out to a city of dust and sorrow as it silently cries out for beauty, love, opportunity. I try to silence the cry of this city, but its muffled pleading escapes my care and then they hear it. 
They come to heal gashing wounds with stickers instead of needles and thread. They come to fix broken homes and dreams with a kiss on the hand. 
They come for fulfillment, happiness, gold stars bringing tastes of materialism that those little hands and eyes will learn to adore. As time goes on this mentality spreads like wildfire consuming all seedlings gasping  for air, for light. As if the smoke smothers all hope for a one day forest.
They see this city and call it ugly needing pretty balloons to make it beautiful. Red balloon idols block truth and change the view to blasphemous religion approved idolatry. How far have they fallen when the words of their gods block out the work of our God. 
When I lift my arms in desperation and cry out out God I hear, "They are blinded by their; white picket fences, padded pews, study bibles, and gods of complacency. Show them My Spirit alive and beautiful. Be patient, they don't know that they are adding to despair. Their view of Me is so small that they try to fix the reality that they see their way. Cry out not against them, and not that suffering won't come. Cry out that you'll have my eyes to see the world. My eyes make those dusty streets beautiful. My eyes change hardened voodoo priests into abused children of darkness. My eyes show the gangsters and prostitutes as scared kids. My eyes see these street kids as future members of My bride. That is the only thing that will truly transform their heart and yours."

© 2012 Jordan Harpter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on August 16, 2012
Last Updated on August 16, 2012