Daisies and Baby's Breath

Daisies and Baby's Breath

A Story by Aranel Earwen

The early fall sun beat through the dying leaves that were barely clinging to the branches. Though the sun had nearly left the sky and the stars had begun to show, the earth was hot. The wind blew dry air through the large field of long, uncut weeds that grew untouched by man. They rippled like the waves on the ocean.

            Directly in the middle of the large field of weed was a six foot wide strip. Small, tan rocks layered over the tough dirt and on top of that were a set of train tracks. They were old but still usable. Tiny field mice gathered around and ran and played, scurrying across to the other side. Every now and then a cat emerged and sent the mice running for the cover and protection of the thick field but sometimes, if the cat was lucky, the fattest mouse would not be quick enough and end up making a fantastic meal. After the cat left the mice re-gathered and continued as if a life had never been taken.

            The sound of clanking boots and laughter set all creatures into hiding. A girl, no older than sixteen, stumbled through the field closely followed by a young man and the smell of alcohol. She let her hands run against the waves. Her wavy red hair was matted and uncombed. She wore a wrinkled oxford that was a few sizes too big; It belonged to the man. Her shorts were cut way too short with a pair of dull scissors and she had a pair of brick red cowgirl boots. When she made it to the strip she stumbled to ground.  She smirked and rested across the tracks giggling.

            The man joined her and the two stayed there for some time laughing. They tried to recall the past twenty four hours but all that they could think of was that her father was going to kill her when she got home. The man spoke lightly of the idea of not going home.

The sun had fully set and the moon was hanging high in the sky. The couple lay there asleep along the wood in each other’s arms. The smell of alcohol and heavy perfume filled the air around them. A bright light lit up the field. The girl woke up and saw the light and smiled sweetly, “How pretty,” she said dreamily with her eyes half closed. She beat her hand on the man’s face until he scowled and pushed her away mumbling curses that slurred together under his breath. The girl made a pouty face and pointed at the light, “Bu’ look how pretty it is.”

The man shrugged it off till the whistle sounded. He shot right up, eyes wide, and jaw dropped. The girl wrapped her arms around his shoulders and kissed his cheek, “Ain’t it pretty, babe?” He pushed her off of him and tried to get off the tracks and into the field but, still being a little drunk, he tripped on the rail. He crawled his way into the weeds.

The girl whimpered, made another pouty face, and sat like a five year old who had been denied the privilege of dessert before she finished her vegetables. He glared at her. The whistle sounded again and the girl squealed with joy and excitement. He dragged her off tracks and pushed her into the field. He plopped down on the ground and watched as the train got closer, shaking his head.

“We used ta play’a game, me and ma’ friends.” She crawled over to him, “Chicken. Ya ‘know it?” He nodded. “We would go out’er on da tracks ‘n stand dere ‘n scream as lou’as we could. I ‘lways let da train get da closest. My friends thought I’s crazy but some’tin ‘bout it gave me a rush I never felt b’fore. It been a few years since da last tim’ I’s here to play.” She pulled off her boots and got on her feet and scurried over to the tracks. The boy called out to her but she just laughed and stepped closer to the tracks. She tripped over the rail and fell over. He reached his arms out to her and begged her to get off the tracks. She stood up, legs wobbling and raised her arms up in the air and let out a loud cheer.

The man watched at the train got closer and closer. He sat there and started to smile. He cheered with her and when the whistled screamed they screamed. The train was seconds away. The girl gave a ‘come and get me’ grin. The two laughed together obnoxiously. She bent over the edge and jumped. The whistle flattened and the train sped away out of the field. The man sat there smiling as he watched the train speed off into the hills. He chuckled quietly and crawled over to the tracks on his hands and knees. He called out her name with a big smile on his face. He pulled himself onto the tracks. They were wet and warm. His chuckles calmed down. He looked around unsure of where she was.  He ran his hand along his unsaved beard. His face became moist and the smell of iron filled his nose. The realization hit him and he sat back on the blood covered tracks. He made a sour face and pulled his knees tight to his chest. After a few minutes he stood and walked off the tracks and through the field.

The next day word had traveled around the small town down the road from the field. Posters were displayed at the local high school. It was decorated with flowers and photos of the girl’s friends. Her brick red boots were used as pots for white daisies and baby’s breath.  Many people came and wrote happy memories of her. Those who knew her well were quiet and mournful. The following week her death was presented as a wakeup call to the youth in the small community that she had lived in. Her death had become an advertisement. The idea of a curfew floated around but parents felt that the majority of their children were taking her death to heart but it was not a month later that a group of kids went to dare the train and play chicken out in the field.

© 2013 Aranel Earwen


Author's Note

Aranel Earwen
ignore the grammer problems in the dialogue.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! The ending was not what I expected. A well crafted piece of ink. It captured the dog days of summer and the rolling hills and the back drop serene... perfectly. And then when reality is dealt, it carries the story through to the tough truth of life. No matter how many times youth's antics takes a young life, there will always be more people to do the same dum things in order to get that adrenaline high.
Tragic, yet beautifully penned. Great Ink!

Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow! The ending was not what I expected. A well crafted piece of ink. It captured the dog days of summer and the rolling hills and the back drop serene... perfectly. And then when reality is dealt, it carries the story through to the tough truth of life. No matter how many times youth's antics takes a young life, there will always be more people to do the same dum things in order to get that adrenaline high.
Tragic, yet beautifully penned. Great Ink!

Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 2, 2013
Last Updated on September 4, 2013

Author

Aranel Earwen
Aranel Earwen

TX



About
I'm a junior in high school. I have always loved to write and this year I am taking a creative writing class. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Aranel Earwen


2 2

A Chapter by Aranel Earwen


3 3

A Chapter by Aranel Earwen