Over My Dead Body

Over My Dead Body

A Story by Aranel Earwen
"

It is an essay, but I didnt know what to put for that since 'essay' isn't an option, about how the human race, in case of a zombie apocolypse, would be just fine.

"

             Some think the zombie apocalypse is inevitable and eventually we will all die in a bloody, horrific death. The world will crumble and our government and military will fail us and the few survivors will be left to fend for themselves and despite their best efforts will be forced to face the same fate as their fellow humans. No place will be safe and there will be no hope for the human race to ever overcome this and recover. Hollywood has gone over the idea of a zombie apocalypse in many different ways. There is the virus, parasites, neurogenesis, neurotoxins, and nano-bots; all ending in turmoil.  But it does not really make sense that mankind in the situation of the zombie apocalypse would soon be exterminated.

            First off, humans are alive and zombies are dead giving us the advantage. Zombies are bodies with brain activity in only certain parts of the brain. The Amygdala is the part of the brain that controls ones emotions and instincts. Having to live without it means that a zombie has no remorse but it also has no sense of fear. This makes it easy prey for larger animals and humans. In most of the world there is the basic bear, wolf, and large cat, but in other places there is the lion and hyena, both are very good hunters and scavengers. Then there are humans at the top of the food chain. Humans have a hunger for power and it’s not that we like to kill it’s that we are amazing at it and is there any easier game than an animal that does not know it’s in danger?

            When people die they immediately begin to decompose .Those pesky flies people get so annoyed with would become our best friends in the case of a zombie apocalypse and since zombies do not have the emotional connection with fear, it would make sense that they could not have an emotional connection with annoyance or anger. Maggots and flies, as they do, would soon begin to make a feast on their rotting flesh. There is also a great deal of wear and tear. A corpse laying still six feet underground takes up to fifty years to fully decompose but any tissue or exposed parts would decay very quickly. Even in a coffin a body would be unable to move properly to be threatening. Now, imagine if it was out in the world roaming. This exposes it to harsh climates and things that would only speed up the decomposing process. Decomposing would also take out their eyes in a matter of weeks making them completely vulnerable. Decomposing could possibly wipe out the zombies before humans even get the chance to.

            Zombies already have a lack of coordination so landscaping would be a huge burden to them. They would have to swim, climb, and walk up and down hills and, to make things easier for them, humans have conveniently placed a thirty story building in their way. Now, take that zombies are already clumsy and take away the eyes and you get a zombie falling from buildings and cliffs.

            Humans have also a great set of skills and resources. Multiple species have been wiped out because of humans without us even meaning to. Imagine what kind of damage we could do if we really tried. We have nukes and large weapons of mass destruction. Zombie’s only instincts are to grow in population and eat. They do so by facing their top predator and it’s a battle they are sure to lose because most predators have only their bodies as weapons but humans have shotguns.

            With anyone of these factors, the idea of a zombie apocalypse getting rid of the human race is too flawed to be logical. With these all together it would seem almost impossible. I’m not saying there would not be death or it would not be catastrophic, it would, but it would not be the end of the world. In the situation where we find the dead roaming the streets, humans will be just fine.  

© 2013 Aranel Earwen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

LOL! That was awesome! =D By in large I would agree with what you've presented here. But I think there is one major thing that should be considered...such as what caused the Zombies in the first place...is it some biological twist of fate, like the flu or HIV...or was it because of some man made nano techonology that's gone out of control... This would play an important part in predicting the human races overall outcome... for if it was just a disease, it would be much like you say.... but if it was a technology, it may spread into some of those other wild hunters, like the bears and wolves, as they feed on the Zombie flesh. That would worsen the scenerio for mankinds overall survival.

Overall though... You gave a compelling theory that Zombies, even though bad, they wouldn't be that bad. =D

Great Ink! Much Enjoyed!
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 11, 2013
Last Updated on September 11, 2013
Tags: Zombie apocolypse, essay

Author

Aranel Earwen
Aranel Earwen

TX



About
I'm a junior in high school. I have always loved to write and this year I am taking a creative writing class. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Aranel Earwen


2 2

A Chapter by Aranel Earwen


3 3

A Chapter by Aranel Earwen