1. Initial Assault

1. Initial Assault

A Chapter by ArchAngeL009

 

DOG GREEN SECTOR - OMAHA BEACH, FRANCE

6 JUNE 1944

 

File:Omaha beach dog green.jpg

  

Initial Assault

0635 hours

It had only been five minutes since the soldiers of the 1st and 29th Infantry Division first landed on the Omaha beachhead, but the seawater was already dyed in crimson red, a great number of corpses of the US soldiers were lying all over the coast. The German defenses were unusually and unexpectedly strong, within minutes, the casualties of the US soldiers reached possibly a few hundreds or more. Most of the amphibious tanks and landing crafts sank before reaching the coast, many of the soldiers were drown in the sea before they could hit the beach.

                “What the hell do we do now, sir?” shouted a soldier.

“Get off to the beach!” yelled Captain Daniel Miller, commanding officer of Charlie Company, 2nd ranger battalion, 1st Infantry Division. “Sergeant Horvath, you’ll take the lead.”

“Yes, sir.” replied Sergeant Steven Horvath. “C’mon, you hear the captain, get your a*s off to the beach, now!”

Holding his M1 Garand Rifle tightly in the clench of his fist, Sergeant Horvath charged towards the beach, with him were the rangers of the 2nd ranger battalion. Without the defilade of the hedgehogs, several were shot to death by the German machine guns, while many more were bombarded by the grenades and rocket launchers. Running as fast as he could, Sergeant Horvath avoided from getting hit and made it to the shingle under the German fortification, but now, only two dozens or less rangers were with him. Among the survivors, few suffered from minor injuries, others remained in whole.

Lying down low, the sergeant shouted, “Captain Miller, what now?”

Captain Miller tilted his head backwards and looked at the shore, soldiers from the other battalions were still behind, some of them were still exchanging fire with the Germans under the cover of the hedgehogs, a whole lot more were on the shore. Under heavy artillery fire, even with the assistance of the medics, the casualties of the US troops kept on increasing as every second went by.

“We are under heavy fire.” shouted Captain Miller at the radiophone trooper. ”Only six DD-tanks have made it ashore, Dog-Green is not open! Say again, Dog-Green is not open!”

                “Sarge, where the hell are we?” he asked.

“We are right where we’re supposed to be, sir!”

“Jesus Christ! Where are the others from the 1st and 3rd ranger battalion?”

“Probably landed on the wrong location, we’ve got all mixed up! We have soldiers from Able Company and Baker Company over here.” the sergeant replied.

Captain Miller looked afar towards the shore, then he tilted his head upwards and glanced at the German defences, and finally he turned his head towards the radiophone trooper again.

“First wave is ineffective, we do not hold the beach.” The captain shouted at him. “We need reinforcement, dispatch the second wave now, I repeat, dispatch the second-”

“Incoming!” someone cried.

The land before them exploded as a thunderous sound came by. Bazookas, the damn Germans just wouldn’t let them stand any chances, they knew well the invasion force had to be defeated on the landing site, it was of utmost imperative.

“Is everyone all right?” shouted Captain Miller.

“Hell, yeah!” a ranger yelled.

“I’m all right, captain!” another exclaimed.

“Captain Miller, Dwight and John are hit!”

“Medic! Help’em out” ordered the captain.

They were now in a desperate situation, kept on staying here was a bad idea, they might lose one of their limbs or even their lives with a single more incoming grenade.

Captain Miller thought for a second and said “We’ve got to run across and get to the other side of the hole.”

“But there’s no defilade at all, we’ll be juicy targets for the Germans, that is suicide!”

“Are you going to lay down there and get killed, or get up and do something about it?” the captain gazed at the ranger angrily and yelled.

“Anderson! Listen to the captain, god damn it!” shouted Sergeant Horvath furiously.

“Get the engineers! We need mortars to blow up the walls” the captain uttered and turned towards the medics. “You two stay here and look after the wounded! Others grab your ammos and supplies!”

“Yes, sir!”

Captain Miller studied the shore once again, the US infantry was still completely overwhelmed. He took out his canteen and swallowed the remaining liquor into his throat.

Moments later, the combat engineers came, mortars were set up.

“Fire in the hole!”

Kaboom! The fortification walls were blown apart in an instant.

Putting away his canteen, Captain Miller held his rifle.

“We’re in business, rangers!  Move out!”

 



© 2010 ArchAngeL009


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Get blunt. Right, I've been to war, I've been in the Special Boat Service, and I know that when you're in the battlefield, you talk acronyms, shortcuts, and snappy phrases. I can tell you, enemy territory, plus being shot at, not a pleasant place to be. As below, you need to make decisions quickly, and with intent.

I realise you've changed it since Coyote wrote his review, but I tell you, you'l probably still need to get familiar with the military terminology in that time period. You write as if it was happening in modern times (that was one of the biggest flaws of 'Saving Private Ryan').

Otherwise, I like it. It's well written, interesting, and definitely intriguing. Keep at it, this could turn out very, very good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

pretty good i'd say its a little cheesy but hey who am i to say anything you aleast have people reviewing your stories ehh mate?

Posted 13 Years Ago


The story is stronger. Direction is war is quick and to the point. It is still PG rating for the story. War is hell and no time to be sweet or kind. The old Soldiers had a cigarette and rarely a kind word. I like the feel and the quick movement of the story. It is a lot better.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Get blunt. Right, I've been to war, I've been in the Special Boat Service, and I know that when you're in the battlefield, you talk acronyms, shortcuts, and snappy phrases. I can tell you, enemy territory, plus being shot at, not a pleasant place to be. As below, you need to make decisions quickly, and with intent.

I realise you've changed it since Coyote wrote his review, but I tell you, you'l probably still need to get familiar with the military terminology in that time period. You write as if it was happening in modern times (that was one of the biggest flaws of 'Saving Private Ryan').

Otherwise, I like it. It's well written, interesting, and definitely intriguing. Keep at it, this could turn out very, very good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The conversation of War isn't so polite. It is get your a*s to the right. We will take the fucked hill now. War is seconds not minutes. Decision are made quickly and done without fear. When death is with you. You are running from him. The story is good. The conversation is too light for a battle. Men who fought in these blood bath will not talk about them. A very good start.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1757 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 2, 2010
Last Updated on July 9, 2010
Previous Versions


Author

ArchAngeL009
ArchAngeL009

Klang, Malaysia



About
-Bryan -Medical Student -Moscow, Russia -All the days that you wake up, you have got one job, and that's to get better every single day. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..