Three Things

Three Things

A Story by Archia
"

There were three things that I wanted to tell him

"

There were three things I wanted to tell him. Three things that took my breath away each time I went to say them. I twisted them, the easiest first, hardest last. Then there was the one in the middle, that one that sat between relief and misery.

Somehow, sitting on the swings before dusk took the light away, I found my breath for the first time.

“James?”

“Yeah?” He swung back, the air pushing a gentle lock of hair away from my face.

“I’m going back home on Tuesday.”

He looked at me, and I forced my head to return the gaze. “Home?”

“Dad needs some help looking after Grandma, the stress is getting to him too much. I’m scared that he’ll just give up on everything James.” I couldn’t look into those eyes any longer. My head turned away, I knew it wasn’t any less hard for either of us. And it was me that was doing it, me that was splitting us up. “It won’t be forever. I’ll come back as soon as things are sorted.”

“How long have we known each other?” The question took my eyes back to him.

“Two years give or take.”

He nodded. “So that makes seventeen years without you.”

“But two with. And anyway, they’ll be many more years to come. Remember, when you’re married and living in Africa with your family, I’ll be here with two kids working as a teacher.” I brought back the dreams we had shared those days ago, so long ago it seemed now.

“That’s not going to happen Maddy.” There was something in his voice, something I had never heard before. Something I didn’t want to hear.

Still though I tried to be light. “What, did you change your mind? Do you want to take up that job as my personal chauffeur, you’re always driving me around anyway.” I chuckled, but it was not returned. “James?” Reaching out I grabbed his hand.

“I’m dying Maddy.”

I’m dying Maddy.

“I have cancer.”

I have cancer.

“Two weeks, that’s what they said.”

Two weeks, that’s what they said.

“Say something, please.”

Say something, please.

I realised I was just looking at him, my mind captured in his words. None of my own could come out. Especially not the second thing I had planned to tell him.

“Maddy.”

“Why?” But I wasn’t asking him, I was asking whatever did this to him.

He lifted himself from the swing, coming to kneel beside mine. “I’m sorry Maddy. I should’ve told you, but I couldn’t, I just couldn’t. But now since…” He left it there.

“I’ll stay. Dad can wait, he’ll understand.”

We sat there together, as dusk took its final step in. I had told him the first thing. Yet I did not know how I could tell him the rest.

The second time I found my breath we were in his house, gazing round his well-kept room.

“James?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m picking up law next year.”

He dropped the hand he had been holding. “Law. What about teaching?”

I sighed, though hoped he didn’t notice. “I just think law would benefit me more.” Consideration in each word.

“Your dad wants you to study law. Don’t do this Maddy, do want you want to do.”

“But in the long run-”

“You want to be a teacher Maddy. You’d hate being a lawyer.”

I tried to find a compromise. “I’ll go, and flunk out after one semester. Dad can’t do anything then.”

“We both know you won’t.”

Silence. I had no arguments left.

“Maddy.” His voice softened. “Do what you want to do with your life. We both said we’d follow our dreams, so follow yours. If not for yourself, then for me.”

“Okay.” I hoped he knew I was sincere.

I left the hardest for last. And for two weeks, I couldn’t say it.

He now lay on the white-washed bed, tubes stringing life into his body. I occupied the single chair, the room silent except for the constant beeping. Each one a heartbeat.

“James?”

“Yeah?” He opened his eyes, the weakness shown in those blue globes.

My breath was lost amongst those eyes, lost amongst him. I sucked in, nothing coming, no voice speaking out.

There were three things I had wanted to tell him. Two things where I had found my breath. Hardest last.

I reached out to grasp his hand. His fingers were warm, strength rising slowly to return the grip.

“James.” A single tear floated across my check, dropping onto my hand, slipping to his. I couldn’t tell him, my breath stolen.

I felt his hand begin to slip, the beeping machines taking a dim noise. And it was with his last breath, that I found mine.

“I love you.”

 

© 2012 Archia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A painful and hearfelt read. Lovely storyline, sensativity is used throughout.
I felt it could of been longer, like you should play with those two weeks a little more, make the reationship more clear between the two characters and how much there life depends on the other.
Your description is creative and spot on you feel for the characters in the same way they feel for each other. Fantastic work

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

:'( so sweet.... wonderful description. great story well done

Posted 9 Years Ago


Such a heartfelt and emotional story you have here. Simply amazing story.

Kaze~

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow, wow, wow. You have played the strings with so few words. I love it. Amazing! Simply brilliant.

Posted 9 Years Ago


A very beautifully constructed heart breaking tale. I loved it, was glued to it through out till the end. Beautiful and graceful description. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow, this was a very painful glimpse into the lives of two people in love to read. James rubbed me the wrong way with his comments on Maddy's ambitions since it is after all but it's a common occurrence. I felt pity for him too.

Posted 9 Years Ago


this is so sad and so beautiful!!! Everything ties together so perfectly. It's short and sweet, and I love the way the 'three things' ties in in the beginning sentences and the last, AND the title, and I just love the general words you used in this, and I'm totally adding it to my favorites! Great job with this!!!!!! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ahhh. You gave me the feels with this one. I wish it were a bit longer but you did a lot in a few words.
Great job :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


I felt pity for the main character, she was stuck between two strong males who have their own ideas about her life. She, a character with the difficulty of making life choices is stuck between a rock and a hard place. It is a wonderful story and a beautiful read. Good job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Congratulations!
This piece made it to the top ten out of 373 other submissions of the "Promote Me! (Again)" contest.
For making it this far, if you submit this piece to the "Promote Me!" group library, then I will accept it into the library.
If you win the voting phase (which closes 7/18/14) then your piece will be featured on the "Promote Me!" group and other such promotions.
Link to group is: http://www.writerscafe.org/groups/Promote-Me%21/11216/

So, If you like this piece follow the following link and vote for it!
http://www.writerscafe.org/contests/Promote-Me%21-%28Again%29/50038/

I chose "Three Things" because of the anticipation caused by knowing there are three things she needs to say.
Constructively I felt at the point where Maddy thinks back the dialogue there is one line too many. Consider merging the second and third.

Posted 9 Years Ago


C. Rose

9 Years Ago

Boom. This piece is now in 94 more RR lists as your reward. I really wish I had 6 more friends so I .. read more
Archia

9 Years Ago

Haha I think 94 is plenty still. Thanks so much for this, it's great.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1119 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on May 4, 2012
Last Updated on June 29, 2012

Author

Archia
Archia

About
Really, I'm just one of you. Come in, sit down, grab a cup of tea and enjoy a good read (now that may be a questionable statement). If there's anything in any of my stories that you want to be exp.. more..

Writing
Is it Worth It? Is it Worth It?

A Story by Archia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hope Hope

A Story by The XYZ Writer


Juliet Juliet

A Poem by Summer D.


Grandpa Grandpa

A Poem by Ami N.