Astarte Ch. One

Astarte Ch. One

A Chapter by Arctic Fox
"

Intro and chapter one

"

Intro

In a world turned by magic there exists individuals who possess the ability to wield and control the flow of magic. They are known as mages. There are mages who prefer solitary lives, but most like the company of other mages. Mages began to use magic as a means in which to make a living; thus the guilds were born. In the city of Willow there is but one guild, as it is a trade city. It is the smallest of all the guilds, the most secretive, and the most elite, for they accept only certain individuals. There are only twelve members comprising the ranks of Astarte.

The city itself is built on an island in the middle of the largest river in Lakel, the Dawnt. The city was a rich one with all the buildings made of stone with floral designs on their exterior. The roads were cobbled and they even had signs naming them. The city was full of gardens and parks. It was by far the cleanest of all the cities in Lakel.

Our story begins with three young mages named; Ophiuchus, Blu and Amberle. Ophiuchus, twenty, was the oldest. Blu was two years younger than Ophiuchus and Amberle, two younger than Blu. The three siblings learned magic from their father Archimedes, the last member of the disbanded guild Ryvius. Upon their father’s untimely death the mages set out to find a home and a guild of their own.

Ophiuchus was a dark haired youth with who worked with water and ice magic. He was of an average build, but was as strong as an ox. Blu for the most part looked like Ophiuchus, but was broader taking after their father more than their mother. Amberle looked one hundred percent like their mother. She had long blonde hair, a slender body, and was very petite for her age. All three other them had fair skin and green eyes.

The first city they came to was Willow. Upon hearing about Astarte the mages went to apply for membership into Astarte. The guild hall of Astarte was a large building set in the corner of the city. Its spires and floral designs of the exterior set it apart from the plain stone buildings around it. It resembled a small castle-like library. Two guards hired by the guild stood at attention at the entrance. The Guildmaster met them and turned then down in under two minutes.

Dismayed at the denied access to the guild the three siblings went their separate ways. Blu settled in Mahogany and revived Ryvius which grew quickly as it attracted young mages to its energy and liveliness. Bitter, Ophiuchus founded the guild Iron Basilisk in Oak City. Its dark nature and ruthless actions gave it its infamous title of the Blood Snake Guild of Oak City. It was black-listed within three years and went underground.

Amberle; however, gave up on guilds altogether. She settled down in willow and got a job in a bakery. She lived with the owner, an elderly woman who took her in. It is here three years after the refusal that story begins. Fate is about to step into the life of Amberle with a young boy named bear.

~

“Hey! Stop! You can’t just take that bread without paying,” yelled Ambele. The little blonde hazel-eyed boy ran from the shop with a loaf of bread under his arm. Amberle ran after him leaving Mrs. Willabee with her hands full of fresh baked cookies. The boy was a bout to round a corner when a bright light blinded him. He stopped allowing Amberle to catch up to him. Confused and half-blinded the boy succumbed easily enough.

“Where did that light come from,” the boy asked.

“Me. Stealing is against the law kid,” Amberle replied.

“Are you going to turn me in? Please don’t do that. I’m an orphan and I’m so hungry. Please let me go,” cried the boy.

Amberle always had a soft spot for children; though the boy had to be closer to his teens. She took the boy into the shop and made him return the bread. She told the city guards that she would handle the boy and that an arrest would not be necessary. After a warm bowl of soup and some water, Amberle got the boy, Bear, to tell her of his story.

“My mother died giving birth to me and my father died of the influenza. I have been on the street since then stealing to stay alive. I live in the alley next to this shop actually,” Bear explained.

“How old are you Bear,” asked Amberle.

“I’m nine and a quarter years old ma’am,” Bear said, “My I ask you a question?”

“Sure,” Amberle said as Mrs. Willabee brought some pie for the three of them to share,” Thank you Mrs. Willabee, and you can call me Amberle, Bear.”

“Thank you Ma’am. Are you a mage?”

Both Amberle and Mrs. Willabee seemed surprised by the question. Mrs. Willabee did not know of Amberle’s past in magic.

“Yes, I am,” was all Amberle said.

“Good Heavens Amby, I did not know that you were a wielder,” said Mrs. Willabee in a shocked tone.

“Yes Mrs. Willabee I am a light mage. My father was the last mage of the Ryvius Guild. My brothers are Ophiuchus and Blu,” Amberle said in a low tone.

“I can understand why you would keep your nature a secret. With a brother like Ophiuchus. That Blu though, has made quite a name for himself. I had no clue the two were even related; much less to you as well,” Mrs. Willabee said.

“I’m a mage too,” Bear remarked. He had not been paying attention to anything other than that she was a mage like him.

The room went very silent as Amberle and Mrs. Willabee looked at the boy. Bear went of to the fireplace and grabbed a log from the pile. Amberle could see the aura form around Bear as shivers of bark and wood fell to the floor. Left in his hand was a wooden bear. He gave the bear to Mrs. Willabee.

“My boy, you are too talented to be a street thief. I will treasure this little bear always,” said Mrs. Willabee with awe.

Amberle studied the young boy. He could feel greatness radiating from him. He had talent for sure, but he needed a stable home. A plan came to her. She would care for the boy herself.

“Bear, how would you like it if I took you in and gave you a home,” Amberle asked.

Bear looked at her and a tear fell from his eye as he smiled and said, “I’ve never had a mother!”

That night Bear asked her to read to him since he did not know how to read himself. Amberle a little sad that the young boy did not have the ability to read sat down and read from her favorite book, Trek, a book about mages who embark on a journey to save a young princess trapped in a tower. Amberle was already determined to teach young Bear to read.

“I want to be like the mages in that book. I want to help people just like them,” Bear said with a yawn. Amberle tucked him in. As she looked down on his peaceful sleeping face; on an impulse she leaned down and kissed his forehead. She would make sure that children in Willow would have the ability to read.

The next morning Bear and Amberle went to the market to buy some clothes. Amberle had started to wear her robes again that marked her a mage. Bear insisted on only wearing robes himself. They spent the day shopping around for odds and ends. They bought the ingredients for Mrs. Willabee summer pies. While Amberle was haggling over some flour in one shop Bear was intently staring at a bear in the window. He felt the soft, tan fur with his hand. He was in awe and wonder over the thing. His head moved side to side as he stroked the soft fur. Amberle saw him out of the corner of her eye.

“Ok listen, I will settle for 12,000 runes if you throw in the Bear,” Amberle said to the shop keeper.

After thinking for a moment the shopkeeper consented to the price. The two burly armed shop helpers loaded the flour onto the cart that Amberle used to move the ingredients and provisions to the shop. The old shopkeeper seeing Bear’s awestruck face threw in some soft candy for bear to chew on. After the cart was loaded Amberle went to get Bear

“Look, it’s a me. I never had one myself. This one is so soft too,” Bear said with a smile.

“You have one now. I bought this bear for you. The shopkeeper even gave you some soft candy, but you can only have one piece now. You can have the rest after dinner,” Bear’s smile got wider as he took the candy and hugged the bear close to his chest.

For weeks Bear and Amberle spent their days helping in the shop or going to the park to enjoy the beautiful sunny summer weather. Amberle and Bear were on one such outing when everything changed for them. As the were enjoying their tea in the square, a group of young guys were making a fuss over at a pretzel stand.

“600 Runes for a pretzel! Who do you think you are old man,” One of the boys yelled. He appeared to the be leader of the gang.

“How about you just give me the pretzel or I burn down your stand,” the leader threatened. Fire formed around his hand.

“Take it; take as much as you want just don’t burn down my stand,” the vendor cried.

“Hey! Punk! Who do you think you are! Using magic as a means to take what you want is despicable,” Amberle yelled.

“And your going to stop me,” the leader remarked.

Bear stepped in front of Amberle making the leader and his gang laugh. Amberle focused her magic intensifying the light and blinding the gang. Bear taking the hint placed his palm on the ground. The tree nearest them started to grow its limbs out. The limbs lashed out and formed around the gang, binding them where they stood. Amberle lessened the light and the vendor thanked both of them, called the city guard, and gave them free pretzels. As the city guard arrived Bear “ungrew” the tree. It was then that one of the members made a run for it. He only got a few yards away when a ball of light, focused magical energy in a physical form, hit him square in the back. The light wrapped around the man holding him firm. As he fell to his feet a guard pinned him down and arrested him. Bear smiled up at Amberle.

“That was cool Mom,” Bear said.

Amberle was taken aback by being called Mom, but she felt a warm feeling well up in her heart. She smiled and rustled Bear’s hair. A man dressed in a black robe with a red sash began to approach the two. He had been watching them from across the square. As he removed his hood, Amberle could see that the man had golden irises and red tinted dark hair. This time it was her who step in front of the other.

“I am no enemy Amberle,” the man assured her.

“Who are you and how do you know my name,” Amberle asked with a guarded tone.

“My name is Aries and you once applied for entrance into my guild,” Aries said, “At the time all the guild saw were three young mages who had no direction and no clue as how to even uphold the ideals of what it means to be a true mage. I see that at least one of them found that. To be a mage is to be a servant of the people. We have to power to destroy and it is up to us to build and assist,” Explained Aries.

Amberle let Bear stand beside her. She forgot that even though he was young he was still old enough to not be babied. He was almost ten as it was. Bear examined Aries and looked up at Amberle.

“He is powerful,” Bear said. Amberle could feel it as well. A great aura flowed around the man. He was a guild master and a mage senator to the Magic Council after all. He had a seat in the governing body of the guild halls.

“I am offering you entrance into Astarte. We don’t have many mages in this city and we feel it time to open up our doors to allow more mages into our halls. Guilds should be places of learning. We have realized that. Since you seem to be the guardian of this young man; he has an invitation as well. Will you accept,” Aries asked.

“Why now,” asked Amberle.

“Quite simply, Astarte was founded as a guild that valued learning and loyalty. We have for the most part loyalty, but we lack the learning. We were afraid of mages who would abuse magic bearing our name. That fear has crippled our growth and diversity. We wish to change that, and would you be the one to help us,” Aries asked again.

Bear looked up and grinned. Amberle nodded her head and Aries shook her hand. Amberle and Bear left to pack their things, tell Mrs. Willabee farewell, and set off for the guild hall.

As they approached the guild entrance, Aries greeted the guards and led Amberle and Bear into the main chamber. The walls of the entryway was decorated with tapestries of the history of Lakel, the country in which they lived.

The main hall opened up in to a large room that had a café like setting. There were tables and a bar to one side and a sitting around with a fireplace to another. The guild members all looked up as Aries walked in. Bear’s eyes flew around the room taking in the sights and people. A women came forth and hugged Amberle and Bear.

You must be our newest members. We are very pleased to welcome you into Astarte! I am Aquarius, Astarte’s official requests coordinator and wife of the guild master. If there is a job to be done, I’m the one to let the guild know,” Aquarius told Amberle.

Each of the Guild members introduced themselves and what they did for the guild. There was Pisces who actually had a pair of wings, Capricorn who tended the bar, but really led warmages, Scorpio who had the largest muscle of any man either Amberle or Bear had seen, Virgo who was the healer for the guild, Taurus who crafted magical items for the guild, Sagittarius who had a very boisterous attitude, Gemini who wrote Astarte’s history, Cancer who maintained the guild hall, Libra who was the smallest of them all, and Leo the youngest of the twelve.

Each one carried an Item as well that they used to channel their special abilities from Aquarius explained. Aries had his collar, she had her flute, Pisces his caduceus, Capricorn her staff, Scorpio his golden armbands, Virgo her fan, Taurus his diamond armbands, Sagittarius his steel earring, Gemini her quill, Cancer his magnet, Libra his crystal pendant, and Leo his obsidian anklets.

“Let Leo and Taurus get your things, Capricorn will show you to your quarters soon, but first let’s get you processed in,” Aquarius said to Amberle. She led the duo to a stone podium with a large tome on it. They were instructed to put their hands one at a time on the book. They were then bound to the guild forever. Aquarius then open the tome. Magic began to flow from the book and words flew from the book and around the two new guild members.

“Amberle- orb, granted the armor of the sun and its healing. Bear- scythe, granted the bear summon and tree speak,” said a voice the both could swear came from the giant book. On the stone table nearby rested a crystal orb and scythe.

“A little big for him, but he’ll grow into the scythe. Welcome to the beginning of the rest of your lives,” Aries said as he watched the two stare in wonder and awe at everything around them. Amberle felt like he had been swept up in a current and carried away into a life she never imagined. Bear felt like he found a home. Astarte would become their home. Over the next few years Astarte’s numbers grew slowly , but steadily. The legend of Amberle and Bear were about to be born.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ch.1 The beginning

Astarte had grown to a reputable size since the day that Amberle and Bear joined.

The guild, after opening its door to more mages, became somewhat of a legend. The guild attracted some much attention that many mages would travel to Willow just to see the now famous Astarte Guild. Willow began to grow and grow to accommodate the large influx of people into the city.

By now the twelve original members sat back and handled the guilds internal affairs and the high level missions. The original members became known as the Zodiac mages. Its membership were still selective though. Mages had to pass a test to enter. Aries wanted mages who respected the use of magic. The guild limited the use of opening the tome for higher level mages. Amberle and Bear having had that privilege were set apart from the younger mages.

Amberle founded the Astarte Young Mages School of AYMS for short. She taught young talented children in willow both the many different types of magic, but how to read, write and to do arithmetic. Though not part of the guild themselves the children got the opportunity to have an education that might not have gotten otherwise. Gemini and Leo worked with Amberle in teaching the young children. Gemini taught the children the history of Lakel and the world. Leo though like Gemini in being a dark user and quiet as a person connected well with the children. He began teaching the children simple sciences.

Soon several mages of the guild began acting as teachers and regular substitutes for when one of the teachers were on a job. The school helped solidify Astarte’s existence as both a powerful guild and an everlasting presence in the magical world.

Bear often gave Amberle a hand with the children. Though seventeen and Amberle twenty-seven; Bear still considered her to be his mother. Bear had grown quickly and was often mistaken for being older than he was. The scythe didn’t help much in that area. Aries was right in saying that he would grow into it. Bear had become renown as the Reaping Bear in Astarte. He had unrivaled earth magic. Bear and Taurus often went on missions together. Taurus had even trained him up to a point; then Bear surpassed even Taurus. He still however could not best Taurus in a one on one. Taurus’s diamond fist hit with the force of a bull, and his Aldebaran made him into a diamond bull that Bear could not contain.

It was on one of those rare days when Amberle was on a job with Capricorn and a young mage named Sara, together they were known as Heaven’s Angels, that Bear found himself with nothing to do. He had already finished up a solo job escorting a Senator from Willow to the capital in Redwood and back. The Autumn air was too tantalizing for him, he had to get outside. He made his way behind the guild where he had begun growing a plot of herbs and plants to be used by Astarte. He for the most part tended it, but some of the newer earth mage liked to help. All earth mages loved nature and tending it was the reason they lived.

About the time he rounded the corner he noticed Brooklyn tending the Aloe Vera. Brooklyn was a beautiful girl with flowing red hair and hazel eyes. She had fair skin to match Bear’s tanned body. She was a shy girl who only talked to Bear, Scorpio, Aries, Amberle, and Aquarius. Bear had taught her many things about earth magic, and spent many hours with her in the garden. She had fallen in love with him months ago, but as was usual with Bear he was clueless in the areas of girls and dating. Bear only had one year on her. She smiled at him as her approached.

“Hi, Bear,” Brooklyn said with a blushing face.

“Good afternoon Brook,” Bear replied.

Bear walked up to the Willow tree and placed his palms and ear to the bark. He closed his eyes and began to breath slowly. The tree’s leaves rustled with the wind. Brooklyn waited patiently for Bear to finish with the Willow. After a time he opened his eyes and came to sit with her.

“What did he say,” Brooklyn asked.

“Mom is on her way home, there are more rumors of Iron Basilisk, and Oak City just planted a new orchard. He was very happy about that last bit. The natural world is in order,” Bear replied, “I am going to pass on the news of Iron Basilisk though to Aries and let him sort that out.” Bear took out the Guild Seal that upper-level mages received and drew his finger around the outside. The seal began to give off magic aura. Bear press the symbol for Aries. Aries’ voice came through the seal.

“Yes Bear,” said Aries.

“Willow says that the rumors of iron Basilisk are becoming more frequent. I figured you should be aware,” Bear replied.

“Thank you, I’ll speak with Aquarius, Scorpio, and Capricorn when she returns,” Aries said. The seal stopped giving off aura then.

“Do you think we should be worried,” Brooklyn asked.

“They might be blacklisted, but they are just a guild Brook,” Bear reassured.

A shadow fell across Bear and a scent wafted through the air that did not belong. In an instant Bear pushed Brooklyn behind him and brought his scythe around to strike down the owner of the shadow. Bear’s scythe froze in place. An aura of light Magic held it and Bear firmly in place.

“Calm down young one. I seek a mage in this guild. Her name is Amberle, do you know her,” The man said. He was a broad shouldered man with dark hair and green eyes. He wore dark blue robes with a orange crescent moon on the chest that marked him as a member of the Ryvius guild. He wore no insignia or sash of rank. Bear wore his black robes with the three blue stars of Astarte. He had his crossed unicorn horns insignia of Master Mage, he was the youngest Master Mage ever, though information such as this never leaves the Grand Magic Council. Brooklyn wore her bronze book insignia of Wielder Mage, one step above Upper Apprentice, she could do team jobs now. The man absorbed all this information while waiting for Bear to reply.

“My mother is on a job, who wants to know,” growled bear.
“Mother! Amberle Demeter, the light mage, daughter of Archimedes is your mother,” the man questioned in a shocked tone.

“Yes, the very one,” Bear replied. At that time the light magic fell from Bear and his scythe.

“Is there a reason for holding one of my mages Blu,” asked Aries from the corner of the guild hall.

“Yes, I wanted to keep my head on my shoulders Aries,” Blu replied, “Why did my sister never mention a son?”

“He is adopted,” Aries told him offhandedly, “Do you have business here?”

“I wished to speak to my sister of our brother Ophiuchus,” Blu said.

The sound of Brooklyn emptying here stomach did not help the feeling inside of Bear. He had no memory of his mother mentioning either of these men. She had when he was younger, but he could not recall that instance on the day that he first met her. Aries called for Virgo to attend to the Brooklyn.

“She will be back soon. I suggest you put your sash on and you can wait inside for her while we have some cider. Brooklyn and Bear, speak not of these events to anyone,” Aries commanded.

“Yes, sir,” The replied simultaneously. Bear looked sick. Brooklyn took his hand and led him to the willow tree. She laid his head in is lap and stroked his hair. Bear could feel a memory tugging on the edges of his mind.

‘ ”Yes Mrs. Willabee I am a light mage. My father was the last mage of the Ryvius Guild. My brothers are Ophiuchus and Blu,” Amberle said in a low tone.

“I can understand why you would keep your nature a secret. With a brother like Ophiuchus.” ’

“Oh Goddess, I remember,” mumbled Bear.

“What did you remember,” Brooklyn asked.

“On the day I met my mother, she had been tending a bakery with an old women named Mrs. Willabee who passed away a few years back. She had been denied entrance into Astarte three years before and gave up being a mage. Her brothers left to found their own guilds. She kept her name secret because she was afraid of being associated with one brother who was blacklisted and another who was considered a radical at the time. I was so happy about being taken in by a mage, that I forgot about her telling Mrs. Willabee about her family,” Bear explained.

“Are you going to be ok,” Brooklyn asked.

“Yeah, she was honest to me. I’m the one who forgot. Besides I’m not the one who vomited,” Bear joked.

“I’m sorry, he scares me so much. I’ve heard the rumors and I’m worried,” Brooklyn confess.

“Don’t you worry, I’ll protect you,” Bear said with a smile.

~

“Ophiuchus has been very busy. After being blacklisted he went underground. He has control over the largest dark guild in Lakel. He has moved out of Oak City and into the town of Daisy. I have no idea why he chose a town or why he chose Daisy of all places. The town shows no signs of containing a dark guild or harassment for that matter. I was in Palm City on vacation and caught wind of an ice user looking for some particular items. The are all ingredients for spell augmentations. Unicorn hair and horns, dragon blood, blue turtle shell shards, and the like. It is still unclear what he is working on. I did catch up to him in Pine City. He hasn’t changed as a brother, but there is a new more wild look in his eyes. The company would have been pleasant with my brother was still alive. That man is not my brother. He is insane and just a shell of his former self. Being turned down by Asarte was hard for us all, but something snapped in him that had long been waiting in his soul. I bear you no hard feeling Aries. I am glad that you gave my sister a second chance. I hear she has done wonderful things for this guild, like I believe she will. Ophiuchus though, has become a clear and present danger to Lakel. I’m sure he’ll strike here, please be on your guard,” Blu warned Aries.

“We will. Thank you for the news. Now if….” Aries’ guild seal showed an incoming from Aquarius, “Yes my dear?”

“Heaven’s Angels have returned,” Aquarius relayed to Aries.

“Send Capricorn and Amberle up with you to the meeting room please and have Sara do the processing for the job,” Aries replied.

“Will do, Angel,” Aquarius said.

Scorpio had been sitting in the window seat with his feet propped up on the wall. He was the obvious choice for the military officer position, but he preferred working with his hands more. He loved helping towns build and prosper. He began tossing a flame up and down lost in thought.

“What is it Scorpio,” Aries asked.

“I’m troubled Aries. Ophiuchus is Amberle’s brother. He is the leader of Iron Basilisk. I am afraid of him using her to get to you. I see your look even without looking at you both. I do not believe she would do it willingly, but the three of you are connected by blood and therefore it is easier for each of you to tap the other’s magic. I am only suggesting that you do a transfusion,” Scorpio told them.

“How dare you even suggest such a thing! You….,” Blu began.

“Calm yourself brother,” Amberle said as she entered the room.

“He is right. It will make you no less my brother. I would hope you would go through the process as well. Ophiuchus is unstable and vengeful. Besides if you cared so much, you would consider sending me and your nephew a letter. You might then find out you have a nephew! I have not heard from either of you since you left,” Amberle scolded.

“Aquarius is skilled in the art. I know Libra, Cancer, and Pisces have been trained in transfusions. We only need one more mage and Sagittarius can spare one day from the guard barracks to help,” Capricorn offered.

“I have no one to bond with,” Blu whispered.

“My brother, you have no one close to you,” Amberle began.

“I had my family and my guild, but no one close enough to do this and it can’t be you. We are blood already,” Blu confessed to Amberle.

“Well then, you are the brother of one of my best mages. I will volunteer to do the job. It would unite our guilds and Amberle is already like family,” Aries offered.

“That is a big decision, and I thank you Aries, but I must decline your offer. I will play the mouse and use my blood to draw out the cat,” Blu replied.

“Are you sure Blu,” Aquarius offered. Blu nodded.

“I must be off, I have business to attend to. I love you Amby. Stay safe sister,” Blu told Amberle. He kissed her forehead and was soon gone from the guild and Willow.

Aries filled the group in on news and sent memos by fairy to the other Zodiacs informing them of the new alert level. The group agreed that an infusion was the course of action that would best guard Astarte. Amberle chose Bear to bond with. They called in in to the medical room. Virgo began drawing out blood from Bear to analyze.

“Know my dear son, that you will be mine by blood now. I just wish I could have known you from a baby,” laughed Amberle. Bear was excited and nervous. He knew the process draw blood from him, check for cleanliness, harvest his blood, duplicate the blood, and then drain Amberle of all of hers while in cryotherapy. After all of her blood is drained that would then infuse his into her. A dangerous feat made possible by magic.

Amberle looked at Aries, “Use the blood for whatever purpose you need it for.”

Aries nodded. Human blood in that quantity was hard to find by legal means. It was an ingredient in many powerful spells and items. In alchemy it was the most prized ingredient and fetched a high price.

Brooklyn knocked on the door. Virgo let her in. This point in the process was safe to have visitors. It was the harvest and duplication that would require all of Virgo’s attention. She was powerful and a world renown healer, but she would be in bed for weeks recuperating from the duplication process. She was the only one who could do it.

“Bear, this young girl has had eyes for you for some time and I don’t think you have asked her out once,” Virgo said. Brooklyn blushed making Amberle laugh. Bear had a dumbfounded look on his face. He was looking for words to say when Brooklyn sat next to him and put her fingers on his lips. Her smile was saying not to worry about it. The test took some time.

“Well Bear, your all clean, we can proceed,” Virgo said.

Now what, Bear thought.

“Now you wait outside as Virgo does her thing and we do ours,” Libra said entering the room, his long black hair swaying. Libra could read minds and use telekinesis. That was his tome ability. Bear began to feel oddly calm. The sight of Pisces told him why. Pisces was a healer specializing in emotions and the human psyche. The sight of his wings always made Bear wonder how he grew them. They were certainly rare; probably from the tome.

“She is in good hands,” Pisces said softly. Pisces never talked above a whisper. He was lean, athletic, and had sandy brown hair with grey eyes.

“Hello soldier,” Sagittarius greeted. The ability to turn his skin to steel was his tome ability. He was short, stout, and brown all over. His skin, eyes, and hair were all brown. Cancer came shortly behind. Tall and lanky, he got from the tome the ability to assemble and disassemble item into there base parts at will. He was a rare plasma user and his electricity magic was stronger than lightning itself. Aquarius brought up the tail end of the group. Capricorn and Taurus came in to wait and pick up Virgo and take her to her room when she finished.

“Alright Bear, you and Brooklyn head on out. Aries has to ice this place down and then I will be working hard to keep Amberle safe while we work,” Aquarius assured him. Bear and Brooklyn left the room heading for the garden to tend the Autumn herbs. As they were leaving Aries was entering. The guild as a whole had little idea what was going on; they had learned to just trust Aries. He might be quiet and mysterious to most, but he had never led them astray.

As he entered they group put on their cold weather robes. Virgo was done by now and was being carried out of the room. Sagittarius, an earth (metal) user, fit the metal table Amberle laid on to the right height and width for Aquarius to work best while performing the infusion. Cancer began to assemble the instruments that they would be using; the needles and tubes, the blood storage chamber, and such. Libra tapped Amberle’s mind to check for irregularities during the operation. The room was starting to layer with ice. Pisces was at her head beside Libra to keep Amberle steady.

“Cancer, open her up,” Aquarius instructed. Cancer’s magic was brutal against enemies and invaluable to doctors. In nice, clean lines the skin folded back with the muscles. The bones shifted from the heart.

“As soon as her heart stops, be quick to drain all her blood, so there is no lasting damage. Libra tell me if they are changes. Pisces, hold her steady. Sagittarius use your earth magic as her shield. Pump magic in her to keep her alive. Aries will hold this room at a steady temperature. The needle are in place. Pisces will heal the needle wounds before cancer closes her. The heart has stopped! Work,” Aquarius said urgently. Magic auras flared from everyone. Blood was pulled from her body and into the cooling container constructed by Cancer. Libra and Pisces had their eyes closed running with her mind and psyche. Sagittarius pushed magic into her body. Earth magic acted like temporary blood during cryotherapy. Blood flowed quickly from Amberle as Aquarius push more and more through her body toward her heart. Soon the lines were pushing out nothing. The lines were neatly cleaned and switched to Bear’s blood and the reverse took place.

After all the was in the needles were removed. Pisces carefully worked to heal the heart. If he did not take extreme pains to heal it perfectly, she would die. Cancer folded her back up and Pisces sealed her with not a single scar on her. He smiled at his work and continued calming her mind. Aries let off on the ice and the temperature rose slowly. Sagittarius altered his magic to stabilize the body and Cancer sent jolts to jumpstart Amberle’s heart.

“I have a heart beat Aquarius,” Cancer said.

“Get blankets and bring in Scorpio. She needs heat. Libra, Pisces, is she stable,” Aquarius asked.

“As far as we can tell, Pisces has her calm as the Fairytail Sea,” Libra replied.

“Good. Ah, Scorpio, give this girl some heat. The room could use some to,” Aquarius said. Within a minute the room was cozy and Amberle began to stir. Her eyes opened and she had a glazed look on her face. Aquarius told everyone to leave, so she could dress her.

“This is slightly disorientating,” Amberle whispered.

“I imagine. Everything went smoothly. In fact it went perfectly. When you work on one of your own, you take more cares than normal to make sure they come back to you,” Aquarius said as she helped her into her robes. Aquarius helped her to her feet. As soon as she was walking ok, she let her go see Bear.

Turns out Bear never made it past the hallway. He had been sitting next to Brooklyn the whole time waiting. When he saw Amberle he flew to her throwing his arms around her. Amberle returned the embrace. When he was sure she was ok, he smiled the biggest smile.

“Since you are in good health, may I ask a question,” Bear asked.

“Sure thing,” Amberle said.

“May I take Brook to the festival in the city square at the week’s end,” Bear asked. Amberle smiled and hugged Bear. Brooklyn’s mouth opened and her eyes sparkled. She had not been expecting Bear to ask that particular question.



© 2010 Arctic Fox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good job. I really liked it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting read ^^ I enjoyed this a lot. Well written and an enjoyable read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


hehe, a nice and interesting read. Just a few grammar mistakes that could be easily fixed, but other than that, it was great!
Liked the way you decribed things in the right amount of detail and description, and I could picture your characters perfectly, and also the setting.
one suggestion might be maybe you should seperate the intro and the first chapter?
hehe, just a suggestion...
anywais, a good read, good job

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the mystical quality to your work hon!
Magic, fascinating!
Characters are great:)
Strong piece of writing
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

368 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 10, 2010
Last Updated on June 10, 2010


Author

Arctic Fox
Arctic Fox

LA



About
I am the youngest of three. I was born in 1991. I love to read, write, and help others. Want to know more, just ask. I will answer any question no matter what it is with a 100% honest answer. more..

Writing