Raven and Hammer: Descent

Raven and Hammer: Descent

A Story by Arctic Fox
"

Raven and Hammer take on their first assignment

"

Hammer lay on his bed writing in his journal. He went into such detail that he filled up several pages front and back each day. Raven let him have her journal as long as she could jot down some things now and then labeled under her name. Hammer was so happy he showered her with kisses.

 

Raven giggling hit him in the shoulder, “Cut it out. You will use it more than me. Now you have two massive journal to record our adventures in!”

 

“Thank you, thank you, thank you Raven,” Hammer said.

 

“Your welcome,” replied Raven. She was examining the staff her ex-best friend had given her. Hammer’s sat in his closet. They had been given a choice. They could live in any of the barracks or their own place. Hammer had opted to live in his grandfather’s Isladel manor that he had left his grandson. When he extended the invitation to Raven she eagerly accepted. The large house got lonely so Raven spent most of her time in Hammer’s room. Her own bedroom was across the hall. Hammer stayed out respecting her privacy. Raven had made it clear that kisses and hugs were just fine, but he was not getting anymore until later in life. It took Hammer to realize what she meant. When he finally stumbled upon the answer he blushed.

 

Raven rotated the staff in her hands trying to trace the many vines that formed the Seladonna wood. It was a fine make indeed. The girls of Seladonna must have used the finest Seladonna tree and then tended the staves for weeks before presenting them to Raven and Hammer. Raven noted the smooth surface and perfect straightness. The tip of the staff fanned out to form a cage-like top that housed a float stone.

 

They wore their blue cloaks over their armor wherever the went. They kept the daggers at their sides, the pendants around their necks and the anklet hardly left their ankles. They kept their Vrail claws in the den with the seals. They took an hour a day to play their flute. The commander said they had been given rich gifts by the Blue Wings’s standards.

 

Raven set her staff by the door and went to cuddle next to Hammer. He put her arm around her, but continued to write for another five minutes. Out of curiosity Raven looked over to read what he was writing.

 

‘Raven just curled up next to me. After spending so much of my time with her I could not think of what life would be with out her. Raven doesn’t think I see her reading this as I write it, but I do. Some one is knocking at our door. I will write about tonight, well, I guess tonight I will write about tonight up to the point in which I will be writing about tonight. Does that even make sense?’

 

“I does to me Hammer. Come on before they bust the door down. By the sound of the knock, that fist has to belong to Captain Reaper,” Raven said to Hammer as they walked to the front door down stairs.

 

When Hammer opened the door the hulking form of Captain Reaper stood at the door way. The baldheaded giant stood in full armor with his scythe-like pike in his hands. He was the most intimidating man Hammer had ever met next to his own father. The only problem with him being intimidating was the fact that Captain Reaper was more of a softy than he looked. He loved jokes. Hammer let him inside.

 

“Wingman Hammer, Wingman Raven. I know this is your is your day off and a festival is going on in your honor, but there is a situation that needs tending to. Our team has been called,” their captain explained.

 

“Let us get our weapons sir,” Raven said as she dashed to the den. After a minute her head popped into view. She had her knives on her back, but was dragging Hammer’s hammer laboriously behind her. Hammer chuckled and retrieved his hammer swinging it effortlessly over his shoulder.

 

“Be glad you live next to the headquarters. Otherwise making this walk would not make me a very happy camper in times like these,” Captain Reaper said to them absentmindedly.

 

Down the block and down the road was the compound for the Blue Wings. It was a five story building, probably the tallest of all the buildings with several three story buildings nestled around it. It had training grounds of all sorts to keep the soldiers skills sharp.

As the trio walked to the team’s wing in the compound Captain Reaper made small talk. He told them that he was proud to have them on his team. As they chatted one of Captain Reaper’s Lieutenants joined then carrying a file.

 

“Here is the briefing file, from the Major, Captain. Hello Raven, Hammer,” the Lieutenant said with a smile.

 

“Hello Lieutenant Twister,” Raven said as Hammer nodded. Lieutenant Twister Was a tall young man around the age of twenty. He had been smart since birth, but his quick actions and calculating nature earned him and officer slot early onin his carrer when he was eighteen. He carried a chain attached to his belt. He wielded in such intricate and deadly patterns; he earned the name Twister. Together the two officers and two fresh neophytes walked into the briefing room. They each took their respected positions. Raven and Hammer looked around the room. They had met their team last night. The Blue Wings were considered a Corp. The Blue Wings Corp contained five Units. Each Unit contained five Squad. Each Squad contained four Teams. The teams had more interaction with each other as a whole. A Team only contained twenty Blue Wings split into four Elements of five led by a lieutenant. Enlisted ranks brought more pay and higher responsibility as you advanced, but you did not lead until officer. Once a soldier reached the rank of Major Master Wingman he or she had a choice. Go to officer school and see battle as a Lieutenant and then give up fighting at Captain or move into the Senior enlisted bracket at the same pay as the officer and continue to fight. Blue Wings more often than not choose the second option. Second Wingman Commander and on could lead teams in other corps or join the black ops Corp, the Black Wings.

 

Raven looked at each of her Elements members. Hammer who sat beside her was with her. They were led by Lieutenant Twister. First Wingman Stone was in their element and the senior enlisted among them. He was the son of the Captain and looked like his mirror image except with short brown hair cut close in the high and tight fashion. He preferred to use a mace as his weapon. He earned his name when you cracked a stone in rage after losing his best friend to an illness. Third Wingman Spirit was a women of average height and build. She was not beautiful, but feel into the pretty category. He had red her hair in a bun. She looked so normal you would not expect her to be the fireball she was. She was both strong and confident. They said it was her fighting spirit. She had a rapier at her side with the leather hilt and sheath a deep blue. An almost match in style to Raven and Hammer’s daggers. She snapped back to attention when Captain Reaper spoke.

 

“The Commander has called the entire team to arms. He could have chosen any team, but several of you are up for promotion and we have two green horns who need to get their feet wet. Here is the situation. Our holdings on the island on the mainland below us that we use for trading posts have encounter pirates. I know, I know people. That is a job for the Red and White Wings, the mainstay of the army. Well White Wings can not heal injured Red Wings if they have no supplies. Medicine and float stone seem to be the target and the pirates are amassing for another raid. We are to make a statement and hand deliver the next shipment to the outpost,” the Captain explained to them. He went on to Element assignment.

 

“Lastly Twister’s Element will cover the move to flank after the initial strike is made. Stone and Spirit; I am counting on you two to bring our young ones back in one piece,” the Captain said. Stone and Spirit sounded off and then everyone was dismissed to their own elements.

 

Raven and Hammer quickly found Lieutenant Twister. Stone and Spirit were already studying the plans of attack. Twister handed them some papers. One contained an overview of their orders and the rest were detailed maps and plans.

“I think it best and the Captain agrees with me that Spirit will mentor you Raven and Stone will mentor you Hammer. They have agreed already. We work as a team. I know you tow live together, but each day you both will train for two hours during drill with your mentor. This is providing you make it back alive,” Twister’s laughter at his last comment did not reassure either Raven or Hammer.

 

“No worries little warriors! Your with the strongest soldier in the Corp, me, and the most temperamental, Spirit. You’ll be fine,” Stone joked.

 

“They will be, but you might not,” said Spirit with some heat in her voice.

 

“We are like a dysfunctional family, Element . We are close because you can become a Lieutenant early, but to get Captain you need age and experience. We have been together a while as a team and then we had two leave us. Bulldog became a Lieutenant in the Red Wings and Scarlet went Black Wing. Now you have been assigned to our little family. Welcome to the Element Four of the 1st Expeditionary Team of the 1st Response Squad of the 1st Advance Force of the Blue wings,” Twister said to ease Raven and Hammer’s minds over Stone and Spirit.

 

“Kind of a mouthful,” Raven said.

 

Twister chuckled, “You are in one of the most Elite sections of the Blue Wings. Mostly by dumb luck too. People kill, not literally, for these slots. People usually only reference their Element and their Team name. So we are Element Four of the Strikers.”

 

“Move to the launch boats Blue Wings,” Captain Reaper called out. Twister led the team briskly to the launch docks. A1114 marked their airboat. Stone took the helm as Hammer released the mooring lines. Twister sat talking to Spirit as Raven and Hammer took up offensive positions at the harpoon turrets. The turrets could fire up to twelve harpoons before needing to be reloaded. Twister stood up and walked to the float stones in the hull. Float stones depending on the size could float to only certain heights. Airboats had several float stones that could be manipulated with magnets to obtain certain heights.

 

The air began to warm and thicken as the group descended. Raven and Hammer had a hard time adjusting. The islands held heat well, but the “cold zone” between the sky and water islands got to many soldiers on their first descent. Raven started to shake violently as her slim frame lost body heat. Two slim arms and a cloak slipped around her. The squishy feeling on her back let Raven know who was behind her even before Spirit whispered in her ear.

 

“Us small things need more protection on descents. That is why my scarlet cloak is so thick. I leave it on the boat after the descent or it would get in my way,” Spirit whispered.

 

Raven responded through chattered teeth, “Thank you so much Spirit!”

 

The air began to warm as they passed out of the cold zone. Spirit backed off and chuckled at the concerned look on Hammer’s face. He had plenty of muscle to keep his core warm compared to herself and young Raven.

 

“Approaching docks. Cut power to float stones,” stone bellowed. Float stones depending on the size could float to only certain heights. Airboats had several float stones that could be manipulated with magnets to obtain certain heights. Twister turned off the last stone dropping them the last six inches into the water. The wind carried them the rest of the way to the outpost they were assigned to defend.

 

Upon approach of the dock a man in a steel breast plate with red wings on the front took their mooring line and securely attached them to the dock. He wore a helmet with two wings protruding from the sides on his head. He stood before them in full Red Wing regalia. The Blue Wings removed their cloaks and grabbed their Equipment. The differences in uniform were wide and varied. The colors of their armor, the color of the wings upon their breast, and the absence of a helmet were small differences. The Blue Wing breast plate was close fitting designed around each individual with no shoulder guards. The gauntlets were exchanged for bracers. The leggings were hard leather instead of greaves. This allowed for pockets for items and for the famous Blue Wing belt that was customized for each individual to carry their requested and or mandated equipment.

 

Raven’s belt was designed around blades and medicine. She carried extra knives of all kinds. Utility knives, throwing knives, and her dagger were just a few of the knives on her belt. She carried a field medical pack on the back of her belt.

 

Spirit was more of a Pyro. She carried incendiary bombs on her belt along side her multitude of powders and chemicals in their near indestructible tubes. Stone carried an extra mace on his belt on one side with flash and smoke bombs on the other.

 

Twister carried only medical supplies. All other their packs were designed around their individual bodies like their breast plates to allow for full mobility and minimal hindrance. This was a key point in their survival as the most elite soldier in the Aeronian Army.

 

Hammer had a several notebooks stuffed into his large right pocket. He carried his dagger on one side of his belt and a a small pack on the other. Inside of the pack was a metal ball his father had designed and its first test run was on this day with hammer. It was called a float bomb. It’s function in theory was for it to be thrown far away from the user. Upon detonation it would send float stone shard flying any a myriad number of directions. The result was still unknown.

 

As the group follow the Red Wing soldier to the attack vessel they would be using a silence descended over them. Spirit looked determined while Twister seemed almost happy. Stone was emotionless. Hammer figured he looked nervous because that was exactly how Raven looked. She seemed almost fearful.

 

“Here is your vessel Lieutenant,” The Red Wing said.

 

Several Red Wings were on the vessel for what appeared would be a joint strike. Twister did not seem phased by the change of events. The more the merrier. Element Four sat on the vessel and waited for the pirates to make their move. This day they faced the mightiest warriors of the Aero Islands. This day the pirates would breath their last.

 

As they sat Raven and Hammer both stood regal looking out from the port bow. They were young and they were Blue Wings. They had to appear fierce as all the Red Wings would be watching them. They had to prove today why they wore the white breastplates with the blue wings on the breast.

 

A fleet of ships came into view. A flag flew over the flagship at the fore. The field was green with a three black stars. Raven did not recognize the flag, but did recognize the flagship, the ANV Glider. Hammer took out one of his notebook and started writing furiously.

 

A unfamiliar whizzing sound whistled through the air. A large splash sprayed over the bow. The vessel lurched forward. The Aero fleet headed head on to meet the opposing force. Several of the pirate’s ships on the outsides of their formation exploded out of no where.

 

“We placed water mines to narrow their fleet to allow more room for the flanking vessels; namely us,” A wizened First Wingman Commander said.

 

“Smart thinking Commander,” Twister said using the honorary Commander. Officer themselves referred to the highest enlisted with his honorary out of respect for their choice to continue fighting instead of taking on other leadership roles.

 

Twister the highest ranking soldier on board gave the command that he had held back until the moment the fray occurred. The vessel was directly headed to collide with the flag ship. When they were seconds away from collision Twister spoke.

 

“No quarter,” He said in a low tone. His tone was low, but the order screamed through their minds. Raven and Hammer held steady. They could not falter. Raven took a deep breath. The moment their ship rammed into the flagship the warriors spilled onto the other deck. Raven reacted as one of the men on the Glider rushed her. Her daggers responded by removing the skin and muscle from his neck spilling his life giving liquid across the lower deck’s planks. A sicken crunch soon followed. Raven looked over to see a straight faced Hammer lifting his massive war hammer from the crushed skull of a pirate. The look in his eyes cut her to the core. He didn’t like killing either. Spirit slipped between her and another man as he rapier slit his wrist and cut into his chest. She moved with the deadly grace of a viper.

 

Stone went merrily along crushing heads with his two maces. He almost looked like he was skipping. He had already said that being an officer was out of the question for him. He loved the thrill of battle too much. Twister was in the middle of a spin when a man pushed a spear at him. It would have been the end of Twister. Twister’s chain wrapped around the man’s throat and twister pulled hard snapping the man’s neck.

 

Hammer noticed one of the ships sailing away. The Red and Blue Wings on the ship either dead or repelled from the vessel. He reached inside of his pouch and pulled out the float bomb he was carrying. He tossed it into the cargo hatch. The resulting explosion rocked the boat a little. The ship began to slowly drift up until it hung about six inches out of the water. The members of Element Four latched on and boarded the floating vessel.

 

They fought through the ship until every man lie dead. They had not lost any men, but by the sounds of the horns here and there. Red Wings had breathed their last on this day. Raven offered them a silent prayer. The Red Wings and Element Four gather on the upper deck. It was the only part of the boat still over the water. After a short while a vessel came to pick them up and ferry them back to the outpost.

 

Upon reaching the outpost they burnt their dead on the pyres and gave letters to the Blue Wings to deliver to the Red Wing head quarters so that the dead men’s family might know about their son’s and daughter’s last day and how they died valiantly in battle. Element Four carried no such letters and were glad for it. No one liked that nasty business of having to deliver the worst news. On A1114 Stone took the helm as Twister opened up the float stone to begin their ascent back to the Aero Islands.

 

“What is on your mind my little Raven,” Spirit asked after emptying her stomach over the bow.

 

“I dunno,” Raven said trying to find the words, “I don’t think I’m.”

 

“Don’t say it Raven,” Twisted said over her, “I’ve heard it before. Battle is not pretty. The reason’s Blue Wings are such good warriors is this right here. You will fall into these categories. You are born for it like Stone. You never get used to it, but carry on for the sake of Aero like Spirit who empties her stomach after each fray we get into. You grow used to the carnage; because inside you know that each life you take is one more on the islands that can live safely.  That is what I believe myself. We each have our own reasons Raven. You did well considering that I had to give the one order that every warrior hates and the Blue Wings hear all too often!”

 

“No quarter,” Hammer said in his whisper-like voice. Twister nodded and Hammer continued, “Those weren’t pirates.”

 

“Why do you say that little brother,” Stone asked using his affectionate term for his fellow soldier.

 

“They were organized. They had uniforms whether or not they bared insignia or rank. They were devoid of such things, but the cut, fabric, style, everything was uniform. They had mass produced, like weaponry. They flew under one banner not several as pirates, brigands, or any allied outlaw fleet would. They had the same uniform begging to their vessel’s names, ANV. That wasn’t a raid. It was a strike. We stand on the brink of a war in my opinion,” Hammer said. The soldiers of Element Four just stood all at a loss for the words rising into their minds. ‘We are at WAR!’

© 2010 Arctic Fox


Author's Note

Arctic Fox
#2 in the adventure of Raven and Hammer

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I was very happy to see that you are developing this story further! I like that you have made the Blue Wings seem so peaceful and caring even though they are the elite forces. The detail you are giving to create a whole world is great.

Posted 13 Years Ago


long, but it was worth it.
lol at 4th paragraph, last few sentences, xD
and your writing is very descriptive and detailed!
there were just a few grammar mistakes, but those can be easily fixed.
a good and interesting read, especially the last paragraph, makes the reader want more

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

568 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 23, 2010
Last Updated on June 24, 2010
Tags: Raven, Hammer, Aero, float, floating, islands, stone, spirit, twister, reaper

Author

Arctic Fox
Arctic Fox

LA



About
I am the youngest of three. I was born in 1991. I love to read, write, and help others. Want to know more, just ask. I will answer any question no matter what it is with a 100% honest answer. more..

Writing