Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by ArebiIsNotOnFire
"

Meet Maya.

"

Run.”

Standing near the forest's edge, I found myself listening to them. I began darting in, out and between the tall trees I knew so well.

Many times I've found myself running through these woods. These trees are my home. When I was little, I ran here with my brother. The place I used to live was burning when I first ran through here.

“Run.”

The same word my father shouted at my brother and I before the fires exploded, consuming both of my parents into a ball of bright, fiery death.

I'm still not sure how I feel about their demise. I was only four years old when they left forever. That was twelve yeas ago.

I was slowing down now. I escaped danger, like I have so many times before. I can hear distant yelling.

“Go! Get her!” echoes an angry man.

“No! Those woods will kill her off!” shouts back another.

I finally slowed to halt, only to catch my breath. The voice that told me to run, the voice of what seems to be my father, has saved me countless times in these past twelve years.

I'm not quite sure why I can hear my father when I'm in very dangerous situations. Whenever I do, I run here, into this forest.

These woods are terrifying to everyone who lives here in North Dakota. Rumors of death pass through the lips of the citizens of Bismarck. This place is a safe haven to me, but a death sentence to others. When I so much as step onto the dirt of these woods, I can hear all of the people talk:

“Everyone say goodbye.”

“We aren't going to see her around anymore.”

“She's asking for death.”

I always surprise everyone. I'll show up to the school the next morning with nothing more than a scratch. They all stare at me with pale faces, like they've seen a ghost. Maybe I am a ghost. That would explain why I can hear my father.

I hear other people now and then. My grandma consoled me after losing a dog when I was eight. My grandma was dead a year before my dog died. I can even hear Max bark loudly from time to time.

I was walking again, watching my home com into view. It wasn't a big place. It sat on the edge of my forest. Inside there are six measly rooms. The ground floor holds the bathroom, kitchen, living room and the foyer. Upstairs contain my bedroom and my brother's room.

I ducked under a branch and hopped up the stairs of my front porch.

My brother isn't home right now. He's currently doing who-knows-what at his unknown job. He won't tell me what he does for a living, so I guess he either does something really dangerous or he's an exotic dancer. I usually go with the first guess.

I sat down on my sofa and pulled out my torn school books.

I'm not an exceptional student. Sure, I'm smart. I'm smarter than most of the students at Bismarck High School. I just don't like school. I'm sure I really, truly tried, I could be at the top of my junior class. But I just don't try.

I sighed and tossed my algebra book off my lap.

So that's basically it I guess. My name is Maya. I have blue eyes. My hair bright red with black undertones. I have a brother named Mark. I live in the cloudiest part of North Dakota, and I don't have the foggiest idea why I can hear voices.



© 2013 ArebiIsNotOnFire


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well you've definitely caught my interest. I can't wait to read more, and I hope you continue this!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 25, 2013
Last Updated on February 25, 2013
Tags: fantasy, guardian, angel, guardian angel, arebiisnotonfire, fiction, run


Author

ArebiIsNotOnFire
ArebiIsNotOnFire

Lansing, IL



About
Hiya. My name is Rebecca, and I just really needed somewhere to put all my ideas and writings. I'm more inclined to write after receiving reviews. They usually make me feel happy. I'm horrible a.. more..

Writing