As The Walls Caved In

As The Walls Caved In

A Poem by Arjun Singh

I had always led a life of ignorance, useless, oozing arrogance,

For I was content in the fact I was good at everything I did as a lad, feigning importance.

I was always secure in the notion that my future’s bright,

But as I grew, the confidence gave in to fright.

And as finally the walls caved in all around, I realized,

That the seeds of future I had planted, had been of water deprived.

 

My parents with growing concern the spontaneous change within me noticed,

The world all around me mistook me, and not one did sympathise, just branded me sadist.

The cocoon I had had myself retreat into grew thick,

And as the walls caved in, I heard only the omnipresent time, as slowly and slowly, it ticked

 

I couldn’t fathom what had to be done, but it wasn’t too late.

If I hurried, I still might make it in time, as fortune closed and barred shut her gate.

And as the walls caved in all around, I found myself breaking into a sprint,

And dashed past piles of books, all blurred with hazy print.

 

But as I neared the walkway of glory, of pride and achievement, I faltered

But my parents nudged me on, not to dishearten, get back in the race, and all of a sudden, my cocoon shattered.

And as I used the push as a boost, I panted and caught my breath, triumphantly; I turned around, with breath bated,

Looked at my parents, as they stood beyond the compound of success gated.

Yet I saw no regret, no shame in the couple, the only ones who had had faith in me, till the time I had victory tasted.

I looked into the eyes of the two that had pushed me in, just to be left out, as I saw my lost smile with twice as much charisma, reciprocated.

 

That sacrifice, that selfless act made me break down, it was unlike anything I had experienced.

As pats and praises greeted me; I stood oblivious, as my parents, among the multitudes outside faded.

I knew there was no turning back; their sacrifice couldn’t go to the dogs,

I achieved what I had to, with leaps greater than that of frogs.

And as I stood at the summit, the zenith, I looked around,

At a couple, who perhaps was happiest of them all.

I walked down from my position, up to them, grabbed their hands.

And as they shared the glory, the world was made aware of how and what all they had sacrificed,

The walls had finally closed in all around, but the ones I cared for, were with me; on the right side.

 

TO THE SACRIFICES MY PARENTS HAVE MADE, TO SEE ME GET TO THE POSITION I HAVE REACHED

© 2015 Arjun Singh


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It is very easy to cry out aloud that "some" people are the reason behind your defeat. It takes courage to accept and give credit to the right people after your triumphs. You will have to battle your ego to actually tell people that your victory was not only because of your efforts but also because of the people who love you.

Good one, my friend . :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very interesting, Arjun. I love the way your poems flow. There is power behind each of your words.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Arjun Singh

8 Years Ago

Thnx a lot.... really nice to finally hv u bak!!! :)
I really enjoyed this, a great write from the heart :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Excellent praise and credit to those who gave you hope along the way, you were in darkness but they saw you through and now you stand on your own two feet you have them to thank, well-written tribute to family and the will to succeed :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


a profound and inspiring write! thoughts, feelings and emotions are wonderfully conveyed in this fine write! well done! keep writing Arjun!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Arjun Singh

8 Years Ago

Thnk u, sir!!
Indra Neil

8 Years Ago

You are welcome!
A huge write!!! Yes the sacrifices all parents make for their child

Posted 8 Years Ago


The poem is very good. I believe need a group of people to make us strong and wise.
"TO THE SACRIFICES MY PARENTS HAVE MADE, TO SEE ME GET TO THE POSITION I HAVE REACHED"
The above lines are true wisdom. Be thankful for the people who taught you how to love and gave you the tools to be successful. You are a talented writer. I did enjoy the poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Well penned story dear. Its not that easy to pour out ones heart but you did the justice.

Posted 8 Years Ago


WoW!!!!
awesome dedication...........
hearfelt passionate........
i could totally relate to it........
you must follow your heart and the people who really, actually, are will follow you close by........
awesome write.......breathtaking story of accomplishment......
i loved it!!!
:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Arjun Singh

8 Years Ago

Thnx a lot bhai!!
It is very easy to cry out aloud that "some" people are the reason behind your defeat. It takes courage to accept and give credit to the right people after your triumphs. You will have to battle your ego to actually tell people that your victory was not only because of your efforts but also because of the people who love you.

Good one, my friend . :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is an awesome story you tell Arjun. Definitely detailed and I definitely understand everything you talked about. Very good work... keep writing buddy!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Arjun Singh

8 Years Ago

Thnx a lot buddy, i did need this encouragement.......Thnx a lot!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

433 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 15, 2015
Last Updated on June 15, 2015

Author

Arjun Singh
Arjun Singh

India



About
Just another teenage, 18 year old guy trying to voice himself.... More of a poet than a storyteller Not really sure if I am good or bad at it.... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sleepless Sleepless

A Poem by MsJewel