A Day of Rest is Not so bad

A Day of Rest is Not so bad

A Poem by Sarah Wolfe

If you truly love yourself, do not repress yourself. If you arrest your own heart’s beating with chains and locks, ropes and straightjackets, how will you know its intents? On a somber day in January, when gray sleet cascades on your windows, when a sadness settles over you, do not try to fight it. Do not feel an ounce of shame, or a splinter of doubt for your emotions. On that solemn day, you want to lay in bed, cold and unmotivated, fatigued but restless. You feel a pang of guilt for what you deem as laziness, for wanting to stay bundled in the sheets of your bed. Do not. Do not feel guilty. Do not be upset with yourself. Do not ignore your soul wailing in your chest, to please, let it rest. You beat yourself with weeks upon weeks of strain, and punish and ridicule yourself for a day of emotional slumber. But why would you ever treat yourself with such negligence? Had your dear friend rapped at your door and implored that you speak with them, would you turn them away? When they admit to their melancholy or rage, do you tell them that their emotions are uncalled for, or perhaps trivial? Absolutely not, so why must you shun the person who knows every inch of your body and every secret you stash, every one of your mistakes, and all of your aspirations? You are only a sapling now, a tree waiting to grow in any direction you choose, and you will not grow without nourishment.

© 2015 Sarah Wolfe


Author's Note

Sarah Wolfe
Ignore the title, I couldn't think of what to call it. I would love feedback on anything at all

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Perfection! This is a beautiful piece! If the format/structure was "dramatic looking" then I'd be excited to read it (But that's my opinion) But overall this is very nice and truly touching. It spoke volumes to me about MY OWN problems and that's a skill you should truly be proud of because it gets your audience more engaged and interested in your work (Not that I'm not interested) I'd really like to see some more of your talent! Nice start though!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sarah Wolfe

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much, especially for the great advice! Formatting it in a more dramatic style never c.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Sarah, This piece was brought to my attention by Aphy Bhengu, and I'm glad that he did. It sounds to me like what you are describing is the omnipresence of SAD, seasonal affective disorder occurring mostly in the winder, cabin fever months. Driving to work each day in the cold, grey slush is mind-numbing, seeing grey skies each day becomes oppressive very quickly (end of grey so far away) and heating bills that make you gasp noisily upon opening. A great topic about which to write...I hate the heat of summer, and I'd sooner live in Alaska than South Florida, but the joy-deadening forces of cabin fever? Maybe Florida in the winter, Pennsylvania in the summer? Oh wait, we don't have to money to do that. Oh well...nicely done write, Sarah. take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Perfection! This is a beautiful piece! If the format/structure was "dramatic looking" then I'd be excited to read it (But that's my opinion) But overall this is very nice and truly touching. It spoke volumes to me about MY OWN problems and that's a skill you should truly be proud of because it gets your audience more engaged and interested in your work (Not that I'm not interested) I'd really like to see some more of your talent! Nice start though!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sarah Wolfe

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much, especially for the great advice! Formatting it in a more dramatic style never c.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 16, 2015
Last Updated on September 16, 2015
Tags: self-love, poem, prose poem, repression, thoughts

Author

Sarah Wolfe
Sarah Wolfe

CO



About
Hello, I'm a 16 year old with a passion for writing and drawing, and a love for all things gothic. I use writing as an outlet for my moods and sometimes get a little preachy with my philosophies on li.. more..

Writing