PART ONE - Spells for the Home, Chapter One

PART ONE - Spells for the Home, Chapter One

A Chapter by Arsenic Nemesis
"

I wait for my journey and its beginning...

"

Part One

- Spells for the Home "

 

 

I didn’t realise how light it was going to be, trailing along behind me as I crossed the

platform for the second time. Wheels rattled against gravel and echoes sounded from the tin case. It was cheap, dented and vaguely sprayed a fluorescent yellow; but it did the job. Only a few provisions would be needed for my journey, I knew - for on the way around I would collect more items, trinkets and treasures to add to my collection. My most prized one at that. My memories.

 

Grumbling, I glanced at my plastic watch again. This train was taking forever! And I was not impressed. But, the other passengers were patiently waiting, sat on wooden benches with bags upon their laps or plugs in their ears. For a brief moment, a thought crossed my mind. I wonder if any of these belong to the world of Wizardry too?

That was my purpose for being there, at the Red Oak train station, to venture out into the globe and somehow invent a Spell-Book to add to such a world. It helps them to keep in check with the time, modernising certain Spells if you will. Furthermore, it adds to my marks as a student and will grant me a higher chance of becoming a fully-fledged Wizard - or, in correct terms according to my gender, a “Witch”. Though we aren’t referred to as them anymore, haven’t been for a long time...

 

“Seriously, how long is it going to take?” I murmured, storming over to the edge of the platform and leaning over. For miles and miles there was an open stretch of green, two sets of rails running in the middle of it. The lush, pale-green grass was dotted with heavy crystals of dew that I could see from my concrete podium. Placed in a wondrous arbitrary, the great oak trees stretched their healthy arms out with immense strength as they drank in the warmth of the sun. It would be a shame once the beautiful dew would be lifted, but I knew that on the morrow they would return; and that’s all that mattered. Or, perhaps, the timing of my carriage was of importance also?

 

I sighed, calmed by the fresh nature, and rocked back on the heels of my cerise boots. Somehow, nature always had a way of calming me, even with the heaviest of clouds above my head.

 

I angled my body around to glance at those waiting with me. An elderly couple sat with content, withered smiles as they stared at the scenery, hands locked in a perfect fit even with the change of age. On the bench next to them was a flustered man in a business suit, accompanied by a woman and a boy of about eleven. Then, a trio of teens sat huddled together with headphones plugged in, sharing music and laughing without a care.


Instantly, I found myself giving a small smirk, only realising it upon catching my reflection in the window of the ticket office. My long, green hair was stuck in its usual Mohican, a wispy side-fringe brushing my dull, sunken-in eyes of grey. A single, tiny, gold loop decorated my left earlobe, whilst my right remained free from the weight of jewels. I stood, dressed in a waxy, baby-blue raincoat with big, black buttons and burgundy tights, the collar of my cream shirt poking out of the top of my coat. Admittedly enough, I was easily pointed out, which can be both a good and a bad thing considering I’m a Wizard. Now, I’m not saying I am “individual” or anything, not really - it’s the Mohawk and raincoat that give me away...

 

Abruptly, my attention was grasped by a sudden wheezing and a screech, and I gazed to find a metallic carriage heading my way. Before me, the shifting cargo ground to a halt and the doors were whisked open, spewing out people as they hurried onto the platform. Quickly, I hauled myself and suitcase inside and plonked down on the first, red painted bench I found, tucking my frame close to the window.

 

The group of kids, and the seeming family with the business man were rushing gaily to the train. Meanwhile, the elderly man seemed to be having trouble with his wife, who was hunched over and shuffling along at a weak pace. I bit my lip and glanced around - fortunately, I found myself in the company of only one other, facing away from me. Returning my eyes to the elderly couple, I held out two fingers - subtly by my thigh - and twitched them twice. A powerful tingle shot from my digits and out of the train, heading in their direction. In that instant, the woman started and looked around in confusion. Before, slowly, curling her spine out and standing straight, not in pain at all. “There you go,” her husband encouraged, “keep it up! Keep it up, darling!”   

 

Then, almost as rapidly as the others, the old couple made it on board, and with a brief check of the platform from the conductor, the doors whizzed shut and the train lurched forward. I was on my way to my first destination - which had given me the time to write this, describing onto you my start of my long, amazing journey. I am certain that you young Wizards (or “Witches”) are curious as to where the Spells are; given the point of this book which is to, of course, educate. Well, fear not, you will encounter them. Some will be subtle and others not. Regardless, you will learn - and you will learn so much more than magic.

 

My first destination? Incartria. The small, simple village full of similar folk. There, I plan to help the villagers out with tasks at the home, which is where my first part of the book begins - “Spells for the Home”. Some will teach you how to do the dishes with a mere glance, others will help in disposing of Boogiemen from the household; regardless, this will teach you the magic involved within your own home.  

 



© 2011 Arsenic Nemesis


Author's Note

Arsenic Nemesis
Not too long, but nevermind, that's what one gets for doing too many things at once, I suppose. The character's physical design was inspired off a girl I saw in a music video once, I thought she was really cool, so I did something similar with my character; though, they are not the same, just "inspired" if you will. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this, I only quickly checked it for I am a busy, busy bumble-bee with far too much hyperactivity - TO ZE HIVE! XP sorry... I'm like this when I've been on my tod for too long. But yes, please, enjoy~


....
"Yes... But Harry... YOU. ARE A WIZARD!" ~ (It's even better saying this to your cousin who is called Harry :'D)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
r
THIS. IS. AWESOME.

I wasn't sure what to expect - thought I knew you would NOT disappoint me - and I am sooooo excited to see what happens next!! I love the way the girl looks. Very punk and AWESOME. I love the whole layout of the train thing, and I love the imagery you created when she stared out at the nature. Especially the part about drinking the sun. I loved it when the old couple was walking off, and she did a spell whatever to make the old lady able to walk straight. Love it.(:

LOL! The Harry joke in your a/n is HILARIOUS. I wish I knew someone named Harry so I could do that. It would be sososo funny to do. Oh well, hopefully I get to know someone named Harry so I can.

Anyway, I love this. I didn't see any grammar mistakes or anything, so I have nothing negative to say. And on the length? PERFECT. It's not really short, it's not really long. Which is the perfect length, or at least for me. Too short means it feels like forever until the next chapter is posted, and too long means it takes FOREVER to read. Well, not forever since I read fast - but still.

Love this, and hurry up and post the next chapter! I wanna see what happens. :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Yayyyyyyy this is AMAZING! Love this. And do you read the Dresden Files? It also involves a Wizard named Harry. Heh. You should read it. GrEAT CHAPPY WRITE MORE NOAAAWWWWW

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Niceee. It's pretty good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked the tone from the narrator and the little ending to it. It was interesting and different.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1066 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 26, 2011
Last Updated on January 26, 2011
Tags: wizard, witch, fantasy, academy, school, world, rich, poor, health, disease, alone, journals, letters, spell, book


Author

Arsenic Nemesis
Arsenic Nemesis

Redcar, United Kingdom



About
MOVED. NOW http://www.writerscafe.org/Paranoid%20Maze more..

Writing