Chapter II: Disappearance

Chapter II: Disappearance

A Chapter by Sheik

I wander the beach in sorrow, for the one I love is dead. This is my comfort place with the sea breeze and the ocean waves, but I am past comfort; nothing can help me. I am broken into a million pieces. My heart is shattered. I fear I may never love again. Pyrrus was my first love and probably my last. I wince as the painful memories flood into my mind.

          A silver moon hung above us as we walked alone in the darkness. Glancing next to me, I could barely make out his shaggy dark hair and sexy brown eyes. The trees surrounding us cast dark shadows which seemed to dance in the moonlight. Breaking the peaceful moment, there was a ferocious roar and a huge figure jumped out of the trees.

          I looked up to see the head of a lion just a few feet away. I opened my mouth to scream, but all that came out was a terrified squeak and I was pushed to the ground. A few seconds later I opened my eyes, and realized the creature had the body of a goat and a serpent for a tail.

          The next thing I knew I was running at the beast with a sword in my hand. Wait, sword? I didn’t have a sword. Distracted, I didn’t notice the serpent striking at me and in seconds it had sunk its fangs into my leg. Instantly, I dropped back to the ground, writhing in pain, and shut my eyes, waiting for the monster to finish me.

          I had just hoped it would be quick and all the pain could just send me away. Slowly, I opened my eyes and discovered that the beast had lost interest in me, and was circling Pyrrus. I tried to stand up but failed miserably. As I put a little weight on my leg I fell to the ground once again. I screamed, when just as I hit the ground the beast blew a mouthful of fire at Pyrrus.

          “Watch out!” I screamed with tears already streaming down my face. Then something happened: a second after the beast landed on him and dug its claws across his body, it ran away, disappearing along with his life. It took all of my strength to crawl over to his limp body and lay over him.

          I stayed there for hours crying, my tears soaking his clothes. Finally, no more tears could leak out of my eyes and I crawled farther into the forest.

          Each minute felt like hours. I thought of how there was no point in living since my love was gone. As the minutes passed the pain lessened, and I was glad to think my life was fading away. When it turned into just a small stinging I stopped and gave into death, going into unconsciousness.



          I jolted up with a gasp, not realizing it was dawn until I was on my feet. The sword was mysteriously gone. Looking around, I was confused. I was in the middle of the forest. Then my world came crashing down as I recalled the previous night’s events, but I couldn’t cry anymore. Now I needed to get out of there.

          I weaved in and out of the trees, but everything looked the same. About to give up, I looked around once more and saw a distant light. Pushing through the branches I found myself here on the beach. Standing in front of the waves I was completely clueless of what to do. I couldn’t tell anyone yet. I wasn’t sure if I could accept it myself.

          I’m reflecting over all this, my heart burning in fire. Where is my love which I only thought could create fire, not resist it? It turns out the same way with me. I can create serpents,but am immune to poison. The flame in my heart is real but only to me. It is from Pyrrus’s love. I have to save him to quench it.

          Without thinking I run back into the forest to find the beast’s tracks. They are there, amidst the grass. It heads northwest but it doesn’t seem to leave any clue of what happened to Pyrrus’s body. I follow the trail nevertheless.

          The beast’s paws are so heavy they ground deep into the earth. I tremble in fear. What am I doing chasing after a monster this size that almost killed me? I’m brave but this is foolish. My love for Pyrrus pulls me on.

          After hours of searching I've become very lonely. The flame in my heart wears me out. Will I ever catch up with the beast? The tracks are a little fresh so I’m not too far behind. It travels all day long,and by night I can go no further. Fatigue drives into me and I fall to the ground, plummeting into a deep sleep. For a long time I am shrouded in darkness.


 

          A noise awakens me before daybreak. I don’t know why but it sends me a bad feeling. I’m hungry and tired. Moving slowly, I continue following the tracks until I reach a pond with a stream flowing into it.

          A loud noise invades the clearing and a strong man appears, shooting the beast with his arrows. It drops dead right in front of me.

          “Be careful, maiden,” he says, checking to make sure the beast is dead.

          “Have you seen the body of a dead man?” I ask him.

          “No,” he replies.



© 2022 Sheik


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
Added on May 5, 2013
Last Updated on November 1, 2022
Tags: moon, stars, artemis, apollo, hermes, ares, greek, mythology


Author

Sheik
Sheik

TX



About
I write lyrics, fiction, and fanfiction. I use dark and romantic themes. more..

Writing
Chapter I: Betrayal Chapter I: Betrayal

A Chapter by Sheik