Chapter III: Broken

Chapter III: Broken

A Chapter by Sheik

          That night, Salih left Kheti’s body in Kiya’s house. Merisu wasn’t home yet. Then he came to the barracks alone and knocked on the door.

          Kiya was pacing the floor nervously when she heard it. “Can you open the door?” she asked Raja. “It might be my friend.”

          With an annoyed look, he rolled out of his cot, unlocked the door, and opened it. Salih stumbled in, his clothes stained with blood. Kiya rushed to his side and helped him to a bed of straw. Raja watched them in confusion.

          “Where’s Kheti?” she asked, kneeling beside him.

          “He was killed,” he said. He didn’t even bother to look at her.

          Tears came to her eyes, as she tried to understand what he was telling her.

          “I’m sorry,” he said.

          “Who killed him?” she asked in a broken voice.  

          “The clan leader, Bakura. If we could talk somewhere private I would tell you more, but…” He clutched his chest. “I should tend to my wounds if you want me alive tomorrow.”

          Distraught, she fell against the wall and grieved for her brother. The night duty guards woke up hearing her.

          “What’s going on?” asked a guard.

          “Nothing,” said Raja, trying to sound like it didn’t matter. “Time to switch posts!”

          Groaning, they shuffled out the door. Raja brought Salih a bowl of water, clean cloth, and bandages.

          “You look like hell, man,” said Raja, before following them out.

          Noticing the quiet of the empty barracks, Kiya stopped crying and gazed around.

          “We’re alone,” she said.

          “Listen,” said Salih, turning to face her. “Bakura killed Kheti to punish me for my betrayal. That’s why he let me live.”

          “Does Bakura have his body?” she asked in anguish.

          “No. He threw it out with me and I carried it to your home.”

          She exhaled, relieved Kheti’s body was not being defiled as they spoke.

          “Merisu still has one child left,” said Salih. “Don’t let Bakura take you.”

          Anger flared up in Kiya. “What do you know? You shouldn’t have run off trying to save Kheti!”

          Salih shut his eyes tight. “I’m sorry. I was foolish.”

          Kiya softened. “It’s my fault for letting you.”

          She took a wet cloth and cleaned the cut on his face. Startled, he opened his eyes. “We were equally foolish,” she said.

          They day duty guards trudged in, too tired to care about them.

 

***

         

          She woke in a cot. Salih was sleeping in one across from her. He took his shirt off last night and wrapped bandages around his body. He had dark bruises and deep cuts, but nothing too serious.

          Kiya waited for him to stir, watching him sleep. He lied on his back, eyes closed. His skin was tan from the sun. Chest rising and falling steadily. Dark strands of hair covering his forehead. His mouth set in a peaceful curve.

          After a few minutes, he opened his eyes and looked at her. “What is it Kiya?” he asked.

          “I was wondering, what am I going to tell my father?”

          “Tell him that a bandit murdered your brother. The one he refused to buy stolen treasure from.”

          “Which means if Merisu doesn’t give in, I’m next,” she finished.

          Salih got up and said, “I’m going to buy new clothes. My pockets aren’t empty. You should go speak with your father. I’m sure he’s worried about you.”

          “Yeah,” she said, following him out the door.

          Outside, the midday sun shone brightly. They took their separate ways.

          Kiya went to Merisu’s shop, knowing that was the only place she could risk looking for him. He was talking to Seto. She swallowed hard, not ready to face her father after Kheti’s death.

          Merisu looked tired and they seemed to be talking about Kheti. Hesitantly, she approached them.

          When they saw her, she felt like bolting. “Kiya! Where have you been!” said Merisu angrily.

          “I’ve been hiding at the barracks.”

          “From what? Did you know Kheti is dead?” he asked, his anger turning into grief.
          “Yes. I saw a bandit kill him. He said if you don’t buy treasure from him, he’ll kill me next!”

          “Oh no!” cried Merisu.

          “That’s horrible,” said Seto. “You can’t do it, Merisu.”

          The old man disappeared in the back of his shop, too shocked to say more.

          “Seto, may I speak with you in private?” Kiya asked.

          “Okay. I know you don’t want to be alone after what happened.” He took her hand and led her far away from the shop. They sat down under a palm tree off the road.

          “What is it you wanted to say to me?” he asked her.

          She gazed into his eyes. They were blue like the Nile.

          “My life is in danger,” she said. “I won’t let my father join the black market.”

          “I’m sorry Kiya,” he said. “I wish there was a better place than the barracks, where you would be safe.”

          “My father can’t stay at home either. If the bandit can’t find me, he’ll threaten to kill him.”

          “That’s true.”

          “I have to do something to stop this,” she said. “Now I realize how foolish I’ve been.”

          “What do you mean?”

          “I thought getting robbed was a joke. I never thought something like this could happen. I was so stupid.”

          “Well, you did seem kind of oblivious the last time I saw you.”

          “Exactly. No more innocence. Seto, if I ever want to go home again, I have to avenge Kheti’s death.”

          His eyes narrowed in concern. “That’s a dangerous path Kiya. How would you even begin?”

          “I can’t do it alone.”

          “You’re asking me to help you?”

          “Not just you. I have other friends I need to ask too.”

          “There’s nothing I can do. I’m not a priest yet.”

          “Do you have any advice, besides I shouldn’t do this?”

          “Maybe. Have you heard of magic?”

          “No.”

          “Well there’s a small practice going on in the palace. I heard it’s really secret, because they don’t want it to fall into evil hands.”

          “Then how is that supposed to help me if I can’t even use it?”

          “You could join them, and if you become good enough, they’ll grant you approval to use it in battle.”

          “How will I gain entry to the palace?”

          “Through me. Think about it and meet me at the gate tomorrow.”

          “Thanks!” She hugged him for the first time.

          “What was that for?” he asked, startled.

          “It means we’re real friends now,” she said with a smile. “It’s about time!”

          She jumped up and ran away, back to Merisu.

          He was back at the shop window, looking worried.

          “We can’t return home,” she told him. “Unless you haven’t buried Kheti.”

          “I have done so,” he said. “And I know, our lives are ruined.”

          “Don’t give up father. Things will turn back around. You’ll see!”



© 2022 Sheik


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

330 Views
Added on May 10, 2013
Last Updated on November 1, 2022
Tags: kiya, salih, seto, yugioh, atem, pharaoh, ancient egypt, murder, thieves, desert, egyptian, revenge, magic


Author

Sheik
Sheik

TX



About
I write lyrics, fiction, and fanfiction. I use dark and romantic themes. more..

Writing
Chapter I: Betrayal Chapter I: Betrayal

A Chapter by Sheik