Realization

Realization

A Story by Joy Murphy
"

Flash Word count: 678

"

When we got to the end of the street, there was one chance to salvage the night. I reached into my purse to pull out my cell phone and dialed before the phone was completely visible.

 

“Hey Tom, can you come get me on the corner of 5th and Main?” I nodded at Clive. He nodded too as if he were on the same page as my diluted mind, but pointed to the sign across the street.

 

“Crap. I meant 7th street and Main,” I blurted into the phone. “Ya, you can’t miss me. Ok. Soon then?” A couple seconds went by before I received the answer I wanted. “Ok then. Bye.”

 

Clive and I stood in silence for several moments; neither of us wanting to address the events that had led us here. We were standing on a well lit corner in the middle of a breakdown of communication.  Neither of us was willing to budge on our prospective agreements; an impasse.

 

I stared into his eyes looking for the answer I wanted to hear and not the truth.  As if he knew what I was looking for, he shifted on his feet to dodge my scrutiny. He appeared so cold to me; so distant.

 

“What do you want me to say,” he asked hollowly.

 

I just shook my head no, unable to formulate the right words for the mixture of emotions that were bouncing through my veins like red bull addicts on a binge. I turned my attention towards the road, hoping that my friend would be here soon to end this awkward night; my life in discord.

 

Several more minutes passed so slowly that I could almost feel the cosmos laughing at my discomfort; in my disability to avoid these situations.  I heard him sigh behind me. It only made me angrier because I can’t understand what he would have to be exasperated about.  I started to tap my foot to release the extra negative energy I had been collecting. He coughed. I refused to turn around. I can’t look at him right now. I need to stay mad. I need…

 

He placed his hand lightly on my shoulder and I immediately turned away from the simple touch; from the reassurance that he was attempting to parlay instead of words. Finally, I broke. “How dare you,” I all but spat at him.

He stood silently offering no words; no absolution.

 

“I saw you in the window with that girl,” I mumbled despite the force that was screaming in me.

 

Clive crossed his arms and gave me a look that would have sent chills down my spine; a look that stated I was the crazy one; the one in the wrong. “We are friends; Nothing more, nothing less.”

 

“Obviously, a different type of friend,” I said with my best attempt of having no tone, but failing miserably. My emotions are clearly worn on my face and in my sharp tone.  Headlights appeared around the corner, my tension released throughout my body as I hoped that it was my ride with brilliant timing. I didn’t want to continue this humiliation any longer. I wanted to be away from this pain.

 

“I didn’t know you liked me,” he stated simply.

 

The burgundy car that held my salvation was, in fact, my exit out of this altruistic conversation.  I lurched toward the car too quickly and nearly lost my footing, but caught my balance at the last moment by a grace unbeknownst to myself. The car had barely stopped before I was swinging the passenger door open. I climbed in, placed my bags on the floor and went to pull the door shut.  For a fraction of a second, it felt like the door was made of all the words left unsaid. It pulled slowly, but with some effort I was able to finally bring the door back to me; closed.

 

As the car pulled away, I saw Tom for the first time, realizing that he liked me and he’d give me just what I saw in the window.

 

© 2009 Joy Murphy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Congratulations for winning the-flash-in-between contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Joy,
A story about difficult changes, quick decisions , communication difficulties. These are experiences we all go through and can relate to. Well written. Drew me through to the end. Enjoyed it.
papaed

Posted 14 Years Ago


very nicely done! tovli (sorry for the delay in reading)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 14, 2009
Last Updated on July 14, 2009

Author

Joy Murphy
Joy Murphy

About
I've been writing since I can remember. It's a hobby and a passion. I'm always looking to learn new techniques and to receive constructive input to help improve my writing process. I love to read. I h.. more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by Joy Murphy


Spring Spring

A Poem by Joy Murphy


untitled untitled

A Poem by Joy Murphy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Memory A Memory

A Story by Ingrid