Pronouns

Pronouns

A Chapter by Victor Cartel
"

It says everything you need to know in the chapter.

"
I just wanted to get one thing straight for my readers - Helix is androgynous, and thus doesn't go by any gender pronouns specific to females or males.  Because of this, I'm going to use certain pronouns in place of "she" or "he" or any variation of the two thereof, but the pronouns I'm using aren't of my own creation.  For those unfamiliar with the book Butch is a Noun there are some gender pronouns that I'd like to inform you of.  This is a direct quote from Butch is a Noun on pronouns:

     My theory is that butch is a noun, a gender all its own, something which cannot always be described within the confines of the bigendered pronoun system we have now.  In an attempt to honor butches of whatever sex, whatever pronoun they may personally prefer (and my experience of butches is that they may prefer either, both, these gender-neutral ones, or, in some inventive cases, may have made up their own), I have chosen to use gender-neutral pronouns...  It seems congruent to use language that has the most possibility inherent in it.  Those gender-neutral pronouns are (drumroll, please): ze and hir.  Let's meet them; you'll be spending a lot of time together during the balance of this book.
     Ze, pronounced zee, like the twenty-sixth letter of the alphabet if you speak American English, is used as the subjective pronoun-that is, instead of she or he.  "Ze went to the store," "What kind of shoes is ze wearing?" "Does ze have relatives in Bulgaria?" and so on...
     Hir, pronounced here, is the objective and also the possessive pronoun, and is used in place of the feminine pronoun her or hers, or the masculine pronouns him or his.  "Ask hir for the time, please," "It's hir truck, not mine," "Have you thought about asking hir on a date?"

     Yes, these are gonna be frequently used pronouns in my book too.  I might even mention the book Butch is a Noun within the story; who knows?  Either way, pretend I'm getting paid to advertise this and buy the book Butch is a Noun today - it's a good one.


© 2012 Victor Cartel


Author's Note

Victor Cartel
PICTURE NOT MINE.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on June 8, 2012
Last Updated on June 8, 2012
Tags: Moomoo, war, moo, mushroom, minecraft, pronouns


Author

Victor Cartel
Victor Cartel

Westminster, CO



About
Check the about me page on my website, Ashira's Notebook, for an extensive survey about myself. more..

Writing
4/1/13 4/1/13

A Chapter by Victor Cartel


4/2/13 4/2/13

A Chapter by Victor Cartel


4/3/13 4/3/13

A Chapter by Victor Cartel