The Solipsist

The Solipsist

A Story by >>AMV

He wakes up in a haze, figments of his dream still swirling throughout his mind.  Stretching his arms and scratching his head, he ponders the meaning of it all.  They were blackbirds he had dreamt of, but they had been flying slowly, almost as if they were moving through honey.  Not that there was any toil or strain inflicted on the feathered creatures, simply just…slowness.  Like time had simply decided to decelerate, right before his eyes.  And when he thinks about it, from his dream’s point of view, he must’ve been in that honey, too, disembodied.  Never in his dreams was he fully human, simply a mind.  An ethereal spirit drifting around for observational purposes only.

            Blackbirds, though.  Weren’t they supposed to be a sign of bad luck to come?  He had read that somewhere, from where, it escapes his mind.  Anyhow, the thought mildly disturbs him as he slides from his bed (was it there at all?) and climbs into the shower (perhaps this was just one of those dreams where he woke up, only to wake up again, and again, and again).  After the shower, food and work.  After work, procrastination and bed.  That was his daily routine.  Perhaps something would happen sometime today, something blackbird-like, and life would lend itself to be something more, maybe even chaotic, for a moment.  He supposes its inevitable, but is disappointed that it has not yet happened.

            In fact, if he’s truly honest with himself, a bit of chaos in his life might bring some pleasantries.  For one, it could give him something to stimulate his mind with, the same mind that simultaneously spends each and every day being both exceptionally overwhelmed and terribly bored.  Overwhelmed because of all the thoughts, of course.  And terribly bored because, despite whatever he’d think about, he could never reach satisfaction.  Thought was his life, and life was a thought.  Nothing less, nothing more.  Dreadfully infinite yet enormously limited.  Just like the world, and all of its questions, and all of its answers, and all of its answers that would never be answered, and all of its answered questions that weren’t really answered at all.  Infinite.  Immeasurable. Boundless.  Interminable.

            In fact, if he’s really truly honest with himself, he thinks too much.  There once was a time when he was twenty-three years old, and someone had asked him his religion.  I am a solipsist, he had replied.  Because how could I ever truly know if the outside world exists if I don’t?  How could I know whether or not you are truly asking me this question?  Are you even standing in front of me?  Do you exist?  How can I be certain that you are truly asking me this question, or if you’re simply a figment of my imagination?  Or better, how are you to know if I am but a figment of your imagination?  What if life is simply an illusion?  Did you know that the earth is always changing?  What if even the ground beneath my feet simply doesn’t exist?  What if everything around us, if there even is an us, doesn’t exist?

            His response had cost him a job, to say the least.

© 2014 >>AMV


Author's Note

>>AMV
I was looking through my old files and came upon this. Solipsism. I've been fascinated by it for awhile. It was supposed to be the start of a book. I don't really know what it is, now. Maybe just a projection of my mind.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is amazing! Has such a deep meaning! We need to get up and do something with our lives so that we can help others. We need to be strong and stand out to others.
Keep It up AMV!

C. Lee Battaglia

Posted 9 Years Ago


>>AMV

9 Years Ago

And replace it with positive warmth.
C. Lee Battaglia

9 Years Ago

Picture were a little flame in darkness. Soon that darkness will be only brightness.
C. Lee Battaglia

9 Years Ago

Look at my story now, and leave me a review of what you think...
I really like the story and I must the last lines gave it that emotion and touch
It makes you think a lot if anything around us is real, If we are just a thought
This is a grea piece of work, I really like it.


Posted 9 Years Ago


Lizardo

9 Years Ago

I'd say a lot, when you see the universe in a large scale, they look like brain cells
Makes me.. read more
>>AMV

9 Years Ago

Whoa, I never realized that! The whole universe looking like a brain cell... a thought. Perhaps so.. read more
Lizardo

9 Years Ago

Perhaps you're right

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 21, 2014
Last Updated on December 21, 2014
Tags: solipsism

Author

>>AMV
>>AMV

About
Hey everyone! Welcome to my profile. I'm a sixteen year old girl who lives in Michigan. I really enjoy writing and a whole variety of other things. I always appreciate feedback, and if you ask m.. more..

Writing
YOLO, Damn You YOLO, Damn You

A Poem by >>AMV



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Us Us

A Poem by luvs2write