The Downfall of Humans

The Downfall of Humans

A Chapter by Astrid
"

An overlook and where humans are at this point.

"
      I don’t understand humans. Maybe I was just born in the wrong time or place, but to me a human is a selfish, inconsiderate, and illogical being; at least this is how I would describe most humans. Beings driven by power, money, and ego rather than knowledge, growth, and harmony.

     Humans destroy the planet and its inhabitants (even its' own species) in order to make life for their-selves more convenient and for power. Power, money, time, all of these things are an illusion created by humans (yes, time is relative to one’s place in the universe). Masters of wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony; all which are considered “deadly sins” due to their tenancy to poison the mind and soul. They take offence to any amount of negativity even if it’s a reflection of how they treat others; forgoing the possible learning and growth that comes from constructive criticism.

“You said that humanity was a flawed creation, and that people still kill one another for petty jealousy and greed. You said that humanity never asked itself why it deserved to survive. Maybe you don’t.” - “Boomer” to CMD Adama, Battlestar Galactica.

     Human tendencies haven’t changed in far too long; I often wonder when humans will evolve past such useless, selfish concepts and tendencies. When they’ll finally start over, live with nature (not against or using it; but sustainable non-existence), and develop technology that is non-harmful to both us and nature. When we’ll finally be united as living beings rather than as a race or species; where every living thing would be respected. When lying will be unnecessary and abnormal, and sex shameless.

“A new way to examine humanity’s impact on the environment is to consider how the world would fare if all the people disappeared.” - Alan Weisman

     Humans have their children collect money to “save the rainforest” only to later in life hear how it’s still somehow struggling to survive. They lie to their children about make-believe figures all for the excuse of adding wonder into their life, yet usually it’s all for the parent in actuality. They choose to believe in lies over the truth just because it’s seen as “easier”. They say "it can't be helped" or "that's just how it is" rather than saying "it shouldn't be like this, so let's make it change"; change is often entirely too slow for these matters. They over populate and then make laws to control animal population. Putting a price-tag on nature. They steal free and abundant resources, claim them rare and valuable, and then rape the planet for said resources; paying no mind to the effect it may have, only caring about the paper in their wallets and number amount in their banks. Money: a made-up resource created by humans; most of which doesn’t even exist in physical form.

“I do not think the measure of a civilization is how tall its buildings of concrete are, but rather how well its people have learned to relate to their environment and fellow man.” - Sun Bear of the Chippewa Tribe

     Humans let papers and numbers rule their lives. From birth we a number-tagged repeatedly: SSN, DL, medical, school ID, bank account, birth certificate, et cetera… Humans let an artificial forth-dimension dictate most of their lives (the internet); everything they know is slowly becoming data and reliant on machines. There will come a day when humans won’t even remember the skills they know now because they’ll be so use to machines doing it for them; an example of this today would be how most humans couldn’t survive in the wild if need be. I mean, do any of you know where to find baking soda? I have, only because I was curious enough to see if it was something natural or man-made (hint: it's a natural commodity).

“When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover that you cannot eat money.” - Cree prophecy

We need change.




© 2015 Astrid


Author's Note

Astrid
There are positives, but the negatives far outweigh them; at least in my opinion.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't understand the greed of man. Some places are wise. In Germany. Cities surrounded by protected forest. If we don't appreciate life and land. The human race will find a dead-end. Very soon. Thank you for your powerful thoughts. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Astrid

8 Years Ago

Very true. Too many people need to wake up to the truth that we're slowly killing ourselves and just.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I agree. I hope we learn soon. Must live in peace with nature.
Astrid

8 Years Ago

As do I ~ :)



Reviews

I don't understand the greed of man. Some places are wise. In Germany. Cities surrounded by protected forest. If we don't appreciate life and land. The human race will find a dead-end. Very soon. Thank you for your powerful thoughts. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Astrid

8 Years Ago

Very true. Too many people need to wake up to the truth that we're slowly killing ourselves and just.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I agree. I hope we learn soon. Must live in peace with nature.
Astrid

8 Years Ago

As do I ~ :)
This is a very interesting perspective on the human races future. Greatly enjoyed your honesty and uncensored voice.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Astrid

8 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the read. I hope you'll continue to read ^-^
astrid this is a great story and very much true,well about humans

Posted 8 Years Ago


I loved this. The term nature of the beast springs to mind in terms of humanity. I like the way you write this as if you were looking through the window down at the plannet. But at the same time your human traits are laced through the piece. I will be thinking about this all day. Brilliant.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Astrid

8 Years Ago

Did you see the second one S. Darko? It revolves around his sister when she's older (a teenager).
Mr_M

8 Years Ago

I never did, I was so scared they would ruin it... there is a third one also no?
Astrid

8 Years Ago

It's just the two

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 18, 2015
Last Updated on June 26, 2015
Tags: humans, distruction, nature, people, renewable, sustainable, organic, money, power, universe, consciousness, respect, illogical, logical, selfish, deadly sins, sins, Battlestar Galatica, BSG, Indians


Author

Astrid
Astrid

An earthling ~



About
I usually review/edit back, when I have time Don't RR me rhyming based poems, I rarely enjoy them. I enjoy stories that contain elements of: action-adventure, fantasy, science-fiction, notso-fictio.. more..

Writing
ドキドキする - Heart Pounding ドキド&..

A Story by Astrid


Snow White Snow White

A Story by Astrid



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pain Pain

A Poem by A. Amos