Dead to the World - A Dream

Dead to the World - A Dream

A Story by Aswin Suresh Nair

People don’t seem to sleep a lot nowadays; they have reached an extremely dissimilar level of Insomnia. I am one of those people. I tend to lose my sleep for things which matter to me more than my body. Since a tired and completely used body needs its own share of leisure time, it tries its best to put its master to rest, in the form a sound sleep. For someone who has an inadequate quantity of leisure time, I dream a lot. I would like to share such a dream, if you’re wondering about the singularity of this one, I would call it as a peculiar dream which was entirely different from all the dreams I have had since my childhood. Some of you might find the whole notion witty, but as an individual who has been through it, it wasn’t so. It wasn’t less than a nightmare, nor was it more of a reality. I am alive and ready to share, please, lend me your concentration.
“What is going on? Where am I lying? Everything looks so familiar, yet, very unaccustomed.”
Those were my confused dialects when I found myself lying in a bed, in a room, more like a cubicle. Furnished with beautiful decorations, it was a comfortable environment. I had to go against my will to lift my head and lean through the window on my right. I saw a mob, all in peace, talking to each other.
“Wait! Is that mom over there?”
Indeed it was her, standing there, thinking about something. I could see her oblivious face, wrinkled like linen. I could not believe it was her. I left the bed, I was stripped and numb. The only thing which attracted me in the whole room besides that window was a metal door. It was beefy and hard to open, tried every muscle. All efforts in vain, I stood back and stared at it, a while. 
“What’s this? Is it opening?”
The door started unlocking itself and with a creepy noise, with its own beauty in its unpleasantness, it was opening after all the efforts I made. Bright fair radiance, yes, it was too bright for my eyes behind that door. But I did not dare wait in that room for an extra millisecond. Therefore, I made up my mind and gathered all the courage I had in me. I marched towards the other side.
“This is not where I live.”
Yes, it was a whole new place. I never saw a corridor with checkered floors in my house before. I just went on walking, thinking about the things which have already happened to me in past few minutes. I was trying to unveil the mystery behind all this. 
“Oh! Gosh. What is this place?” 
The next thing I saw was astounding! Hanging stairs! It was impossible that even a highly experienced engineer of my century would ever find his theories capable enough to even summarize something like that. It was more like a slide, heading straight towards the bottom, approximately, 10 floors down. Its magnificence drove me crazy for a while. I started walking down, without any sense of fear that it would fall. A strange confidence sprouted in me.
“I am halfway and it started shaking. Gross.” 
It was much unexpected, all the confidence in me drained out when it started to shiver at the halfway. I sat on it and held my hands tight at its sides. The moment I thought it has stopped shaking, I stood up like a soldier, with a smile on my face returned from stress and sweat. I took the next step down and I tripped. Straight down, four floors roughly. Everything goes dark as my eyes close in.
“Heck, I can’t move! Help”
I felt nothing but pain for the first few moments. I could feel blood flowing inside my body, heart pumping like a tractor, then a whole new sensation, a state of peace, unruffled state of mind. My eyes opened, could find nothing besides me lying in front of a door. My hands tickle me, I can’t raise it, cant move anything. I am laying flat, just plain flat on the floor with my head up and only eyes in motion. The most helpless state of paralysis I have ever experienced. 
“Mother!”
As I lay in despair, whining like a dog, a figure is seen through the door, a dark shadow of a woman, probably, middle aged, walking towards me. My eyes were flustering when I saw her coming towards me. I closed in on her face, and it was a great relief to see her. It was my mother, same old wrinkled figure I saw from the window. She kissed my forehead while I was trying my best to yell out and ensue myself. I wanted to hug her once, as she was crying and closing my eyes with her weak and tender hands. 
“Why are you crying mom? And you closed my eyes too! It’s dark again.”
There goes my last hope; even my mother couldn’t help me solve the mystery behind all this. I was asking weird questions to myself as I heard her crying. She was saying something, not sure what it was. All of a sudden, I found myself being lifted hard; probably outside. I could sense myself being kept inside something. My eyes open abruptly as all voices go dim. 
“A grave? Oh! My God”
The first view I could get was of a tombstone flashing in front of my eyes, just like old reels, with my name written on it. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I wished it was just a dream, I didn’t deserve to die! Then I saw my mom, watching me as my casket is being covered. My eyes go dark again with the casket, mind still working. 
This is the time when the dream concludes. I was lying on the bed the same way I was in that casket. My whole was body sweating; sensations of fear and confusion were concealing my mind. I lay there like a dead man; trying to relate to the dream I had just few moments ago. It could be a vision, as per the myths. Or it could just be a nightmare. Whatever it was, I have a gut feeling that it had something to do with my life and my future. For now, I just wanted to go to my mom. I just wanted to lie beside her and embrace every moment I can. I am glad it’s over, but I am afraid its not. It’s a mystery.

~ THE END ~

© 2011 Aswin Suresh Nair


Author's Note

Aswin Suresh Nair
The above work is based entirely on my real experience. It was my dream.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this! Welcome to Writers Cafe!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
1 Review
Added on November 5, 2011
Last Updated on November 5, 2011
Tags: dead to the world a dream aswin

Author

Aswin Suresh Nair
Aswin Suresh Nair

India



About
Creative Designer by daylight. Creative writer by midnight. more..

Writing