A Falling Rabbit

A Falling Rabbit

A Story by Frank F. Atanacio
"

a dramatic scene....

"

That morning, after the slight argument with her mother, she went and stood under the Lee Avenue Street sign and waited for the school bus just like it was any other school day. The Lee Avenue sign was composed of a green neon back ground with bright white letters. She liked the new sign design. It made it easier for the school bus driver to find, and she knew that some how it also brought her luck.

There were very few cars heading down State Street, but what caught her eye was a small compact sports car. It was a very bright red with flashy rims. The car almost seemed alive to her. The car parked across the street directly in front of her. That’s when she saw the old State Street gas station building, all boarded up and tumbling down. Next to the gas station were the old gas pumps stripped down to almost nothing.

She oddly felt like a rabbit, and the man who stepped out of the car was a wolf. His car was a cage, and unbelievably she decided to see what the inside of a cage would look like.

The wolf stood in front of her as she completed the walk across the street. She was the curious little rabbit and he was the real-life, very large wolf pacing back and forth. His eyes were bright blue and almost gentle. It was almost like staring at the sky itself. With clouds that blocked out the sun and trapped it in a cage.

The wolf smiled as it slowly walked to the cage. He opened the cage door and made gestures to the rabbit. It was early morning and it looked like it might rain.  It had been raining all week, so the rabbit decided to enter the cage so she would be protected from the anticipated rain.

The sky was thick and gray and the air was almost still. The rabbit knew that she was safe from the elements. She knew that the wolf was some kind of magician. Keeping her free from what nature was about to deliver.

The young girl’s imagination and her confusion kept her momentarily safe. She looked out the window and watched the morning fog nearly hugging the ground. There was a gray tint to the fog, and it almost looked like smoke.

She saw the school bus briefly stopping at the Lee Avenue sign and no one climbed on. It was as if all the other rabbits were chanting, and she was with the wolf who seemed like a spirit coming out of the mist.

That moment as the cage drove off, she was no longer thinking of her mother. Even though that morning her mother couldn’t stop crying. The great heaving sobs that made her chest and stomach hurt briefly made the tears come to a pause. Her father watching her, standing beside her, had started to cry too.

© 2011 Frank F. Atanacio


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Truly enjoyable and gripping short story, will be back to read more work of yours...

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
fairytales made real life - you hook the reader in and present the story with a crafted hand..the childlike depliction of the rabbit and wolf is unnerving as you as still aware that the story is chilling and reminded fully at the end..great write

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

441 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 2, 2011
Last Updated on February 2, 2011

Author

Frank F. Atanacio
Frank F. Atanacio

Shelton, CT



About
I'm a fun-loving person who loves sports, baseball, and football, and enjoy writing I love writing my Nick PT Barnum Mystery Novels... New One Out Now When The Kingdom Comes God Will Understand.. Che.. more..

Writing