Salvation

Salvation

A Story by Aurafiex
"

A hero awakens. But what then?

"

The legends speak of a slumbering entity within an ancient shrine destined to awaken when mankind was in danger. Of course, such stories were merely forgotten tales from an archaic age, lost to the vagaries of time.


The purpose of the shrine had been warped over time to become a place of worship for the local religion, complete with a magnificent temple and pious priests dedicated to its new purpose. Led by these holy men, the locals sacrificed men and women every decade to please their perceived god. Concerns of cruelty and immorality regarding such practices were cast aside as trivialities by year after year of ripe, golden fields of corn, fattened cattle and profitable trade. Prosperous indeed were the people of this hamlet, such that no one was ever destitute or hungry.


One day however, everything changed. Initially, the news was held with disbelief, that raiders had destroyed the coastal villages of the kingdom. However, rumour eventually turned to truth when trade stopped entirely and battered refugees arrived at their gates bearing grim tales of men with glassy, bubbly eyes and webbed feet whom possessed armoured scales impervious to sword and arrow. The invaders were said to be advancing inland to search for something, and were leaving nothing but corpses and the stench of rotting fish in their wake.


As news of the impending invasion spread within the hamlet, the people panicked, afraid of their seemingly inevitable destruction. Demonstrations were held in the town square, with hordes of villagers petitioning the lord of the estate to save them.


Alas, the lord who oversaw the hamlet had no way of allaying the people’s fear, being a man of administration rather than a man of war. Turning to the priesthood, he beseeched them for a way to quell the fear in the hearts of his subjects. Unfortunately, they had grown weak from years of generous tithes and lacked the charisma of their predecessors.


However, one young, headstrong priest rose up in the face of the pandemonium unfolding in the hamlet. Speaking when all above him remained silent, he preached of the ancient being that slumbered within the sacred shrine, having spent many years studying the lore of the land to learn such lost secrets. Rallying the people to his cause, he promised them salvation from the invaders by summoning the slumbering ancient to save them so as long as they opened their purses to him.


With renewed vigour, the residents of the hamlet took to the temple, offering increasingly extravagant tributes of gold and jewels in a bid to summon their saviour. However, within three days of silence, the people grew restless once more, and they clamoured at the doors of the temple, demanding answers. When words alone were insufficient, they demanded the blood of the young priest.


At his wits end, the young man decided to bring forward the sacrificial rituals that happened every decade, hoping that bloodshed would abate the anger of the townsfolk. At his decree, lots were drawn, and blood was shed upon the ancient shrine over the following week. Despite this, their saviour remained silent, still deaf to their pleas. Worse still, news had reached the worried ears of the villagers that the army of fishmen were soon to arrive, worsening the tensions already festering within the hamlet.


Desperate for salvation, the blood sacrifices grew even more violent and fervent, to the point that the once pristine and well-kept shrine was bathed in blood and gristle. Yet, despite the seemingly endless flow of blood that was shed in their saviour's name, the villagers' pleas were still met with silence. It was almost as though they had been abandoned, left to die by the cruel hand of fate. Still, the sacrifices continued, for violence and paranoia had yet to claim their due, the rituals becoming little more than public lynchings for opportunistic individuals looking to remove hated rivals. Even the young priest himself was not spared, his body mutilated and flung before the bloody shrine, a cruel irony borne from the machinations of his fellow clergymen.


On the eve of the invasion, where the night sky rang with gurgling cries and the air stung with the stench of rotting fish, a blue haired lady with golden eyes emerged from the blood soaked granite. Dressed in opulent robes of white and gold and wielding a staff made entirely out of carved obsidian, she claimed the name Leviathan for herself.


The remaining residents of the hamlet, having just slain one of their own in her name, all knelt down and beseeched their saviour to deliver them from their seemingly inevitable destruction. It was also at this very moment that the fishmen arrived in full force, weapons at the ready to destroy and plunder. But they too stood in awe before Leviathan, perhaps afraid to attack the villagers lest she unleash her wrath upon them.


However, hope turned to despair when their saviour beckoned to the leering fishmen, her lips letting out a single, grave proclamation that destroyed what hope the people had left.


“Make an example of them, that all shall hear of MY arrival!”

© 2016 Aurafiex


Author's Note

Aurafiex
Hi!

Do let me know what you think! If you've enjoyed this story, do check out my book on the Amazon Kindle Store, The Best of Aurafiex - A Short Story Collection.

Buy it now at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GX7EVLC

Have a nice day!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think you've gotten so good with your writing, finding any fault becomes a mammoth task for 'us.' That final line was cruel , but anything else I figured wouldn't be so strong. I'm definitely still enjoying your stories :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Thanks! I hope you liked the ending!
Krizito

8 Years Ago

It was cruel but pretty likable...
Such a classic idea. It's always fun to see a new take on something so well-known.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed it.
Cool, What is this Heroes of Newerth. I never heard of it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Its a game similar to League of Legends and DotA 2. Personally, I don't play Heroes of Newerth, but .. read more
Tsubaki Kuro

8 Years Ago

I liked it. It was very good.
I very much enjoyed your story. I followed it in anticipation of the hero slaughtering the fish people. The ending is certainly unexpected.Good build up to the surprising climax. Richie B.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

I hope you enjoyed the twist. Personally, I had a lot of fun writing this story, especially the last.. read more
i totally forgot to even look for typo's as i was too busy enjoying th e stoory!! thank you for sharing, thought it was great :) full marks

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Thanks! (I hope there weren't any typos though!)
hcarson

8 Years Ago

there won't be if your typing skills match your story telling skills ;)
I haven't heard of the Glacius from Heroes of Newerth can you enlighten me on this. Also I enjoyed the story and the cliffhanger is frustrating, you should consider making a part two.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Don't mind me asking, but what do you mean by cliffhanger?
Autonomous

8 Years Ago

“Make an example of them, that all shall hear of MY arrival!”
I took that as a sign that .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1683 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2016
Last Updated on July 8, 2016
Tags: Hero, Salvation, Fishmen, Horror, Epic, Tale, Fish, Hamlet, Villages, Medieval, Invasion, War

Author

Aurafiex
Aurafiex

Singapore



About
Hi! I enjoy World of Warcraft, music and swimming. I'm someone who writes for fun. Pardon any typos or mistakes, because I write on my phone(lol). I'm new here, so if you like what you see do.. more..

Writing
My Webnovel! My Webnovel!

A Story by Aurafiex


Into Hell Into Hell

A Story by Aurafiex


Midnight Midnight

A Story by Aurafiex



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The End. The End.

A Poem by K. Harding


Kaede Kaede

A Story by Aurafiex