Gargoyle's Perch

Gargoyle's Perch

A Poem by Hippy

High in the sky

On a dark, moonlit night

The gargoyle watches

From his perch

Gazing deep

Into the heart of the city

He sees all of the madness

All of their sadness

As lights flash

And the cars crash

People cry

And people die

Guns fire

And druggies get higher

The book of the world

Adds more to its darker chapters

The gargoyle is to be their guardian

To add light to this book

But he cant guard all of them

And all of their evils

Turn him to stone

Leaving them to fend for their own

Til the day they fend for each other

© 2010 Hippy


Author's Note

Hippy
reviews pls, opinions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Brother, you have a strange mind, i love it(:

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow, I really like the idea of the gargoyle being a stone because of our evil. Nicely done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a good portrait of the city as seen from above (the gargoyle's perch). I guess the fact that you have no punctuation at all in the poem accounts for the missing apostrophe in 'cant.' That's OK (even though cant is a word in its own right), but raises the question of why the apostrophe in the title, then. Probably there for the appearance and the meaning: 'gargoyles perch - without the apostrophe - would lead the reader to think perch is a verb that the gargoyles are doing). I know what you're doing in the last two lines, but as is they are equivalent... why not say 'fend on their own' in the former and stick with 'fend for each other' in the latter. I think that's what you mean - that they take of themselves until the day they take care of each other, right? I like the idea of all the evils turning the ggargoyle to stone. Well done poem. :-)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like it because it is very expressive. I love expressive.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this. It made me think of a building in the city (NY) that has gargoyles on top of it. It's like they are above the city streets seeing all that is happening. Kind of like a fly on the wall just observing not able to do a thing. I like the concept. Great piece and nicely done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Beautiful, I loved it. The rhyme you had going was great. Good job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


deep. great job! i agree with BlackBlood. amazing work! This is going in the Favorites library!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow. This is definitely a deep poem. Great job. I didn't find any mistakes, which is awesome.:) I really like it. Keep up the amazing work.!

--Blood

Posted 14 Years Ago


Yeah man good job man, I enjoyed this piece. Keep it up, bro.

Posted 14 Years Ago


You're missing an apostrophe in there. "can't"

You do a great job in the first half of painting a picture, but your metaphors get a little mixed near the end. Suddenly you drop a book on us (which is fine) but then you talk about the gargoyle adding light to the book. Uh, no. Books don't need light.

I reread it again, and from what I can see your rhythm is flexible enough that you can remove that line entirely if you like. It feels very out of place in this otherwise very consistent and somber poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

769 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 15, 2010
Last Updated on March 15, 2010

Author

Hippy
Hippy

Underland, IN



About
My names austin lee wallace i am a hippy and thats what they all call me. i love music its the greatest, i play guitar the harp piano flute violin and whatever i can get me hands on. Im not much of a .. more..

Writing
Vibrations Vibrations

A Poem by Hippy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..