Ireland My Ireland under Potato covered Skies *Chapter the First*

Ireland My Ireland under Potato covered Skies *Chapter the First*

A Story by Autumn Grace
"

A Irish musician and a Canadian artist living in London meet under strange circumstances and consequently have the strong urge to make out with eachother. Also involved are his gay roommates, female bassist, and a curmudgeonly old man who owns a book stor

"

 Robert held his breath and clutched his camera. Stepping back slightly, he looked ahead at the park bench, heart racing. There she was sitting alone and deeply involved in her book as far as he could tell, the girl he'd seen almost everyday for the last couple of weeks on his way to the lounge his band played at, she had disappeared the last couple of days though. He was glad she hadn't died or something awful like that. 

 

He swallowed, good Lord she was beautiful, he thought, it was a lovely day in London (shocking really), and the sun shone down on her curly auburn hair, creating a halo effect, her eyes rapidly took in the words in her book, widening and narrowing at each twist and turn of the chapter, her face glowing in the excitement of the text. He'd caught those eyes once, they were big and brown and lovely. Her dark pink lips were parted, like she would speak at any moment to the characters in her book. Sitting with her legs crossed on the bench, he saw her converse high tops looked custom painted with hearts and rainbows and her legs were covered with black and white striped stockings. Draping over her lap demurely was her short dark grey coverall dress, reminiscent of the photos of his grandmother's dress in the early sixties, underneath a pale yellow waffle pattern long sleeve shirt with blue fleur-de-lis patterns adorning it. Her long pale hands, covered in blotches of various dark inks, were tapping the book in nervous excitement. 

 

Robert let out a breath he'd been holding, was it possible to actually be in love with a girl he'd never even locked eyes with? No, he told himself. Don't be so silly you daft sod. That would be quite ridiculous. The beautiful girl shifted and sighed lovingly at her book and Robert's heart hammered painfully in his chest. Alright, maybe not quite as ridiculous as originally thought.  

Tomorrow, he decided, tomorrow I will talk to her. I will finally finish that book for conversation purposes and talk to her. Until then, he would just take a picture. Not because he was some crazy stalker, he reminded himself, it was only because the lighting was just so perfect, and he was at just the right angle. Yeah, that's why. Checking his ipod for the time, he quickly snapped a few photo's of her and the flowers too, for posterity, and ran off to make to his band's gig on time.

 

~

 

Penelope glanced up from her book at the tall dark haired young man who had taken off running,    making sure he had a grip on his camera as he raced away. She'd missed seeing him everyday at lunchtime, in his skinny dark jeans, band shirts and a usually grave contemplative look about him walking past her on the park path, his eyes would darting everywhere. She couldn't tell what colour they were though, and that was quite annoying. She knew they were light though. They had locked eyes once. It was glorious. He had looked startled, with his shaggy black hair almost in his eyes and he turned a charming shade of pink, his hands clutching his camera and his index finger tapping on the button. Of course, he had basically ran away after a few minutes. Penelope hoped it was just because he was very shy. In any case, it'd be quite while before she picked up another extra hour on her shifts at Branford's Books. Watching his back as he pounded the pavement with his chucks, she snorted at herself. Raking her fingers through her hair, she put away her book and got up to leave. How ridiculous was she, having a silly crush on a guy she had never met and probably never will meet. So, so dumb, she told herself, it's totally dumb. Well, whatever, she shook her head and walked briskly toward the bookstore she spent most of her time at. Crossing the street quickly, she made a beeline towards a little shop in between a cute boutique (she still wanted to get those shoes, Penelope mused) and a small grocer. The bells rang as she went inside the cozy book store.

 

“I'm back from lunch!”, she called, “And I'm going to need a new book in an hour I'd say.” she added as an afterthought. A wiry old man came out of an aisle with an armful of dusty tomes. He raised an eyebrow at her while she grabbed the pile out of his hands,

“Already lass? Ye've hardly had it a day. Are ye reading it correctly Miss Penelope?”

She giggled at him,

“How can I read it wrong, Mr Branford? I promise I've read it through it as properly as one can.”

He harrumphed at her, and gave her the rest of the book pile. 

“Here”, he said,”Put these away where they're supposed t'be and I'll find ye a bigger book. More complicated too. I'll challenge your smarts Miss Penelope, I certainly will.”

“I should hope so.” she called over her shoulder as she manoeuvred her way into the Ancient history part of the store, and by that it was understood that any book older than Mr Branford himself went into that section. Humming happily to herself, she busied herself with organizing the massive pile of books, Mr. Branford looked at her wryly,

“I've never seen a person in all my time here so tickled putting away books, Miss Penelope. I think I'll keep ya.”

Penelope giggled delightedly,

“I'm glad! I think I prefer London over Calgary anyway. More character.”

He snorted, 

“Well, obviously lass.”

 

She shook her head in a rueful sort of way and continued to organize the yellowed books properly. Mr. Branford was the type of older Englishman she had always wanted as a grandfather or something like that, tall and wiry with large glasses that magnified his eyes twice their size and an impeccable style of dress. Sweater vests, ties and all that. He was also very clever and still had a sharp wit at the age of seventy-six. All things considered, Penelope thought herself very lucky, after coming in with the help wanted sign, she was hired within minutes, first providing her knowledge of books and providing her favourite genre (Historical Fantasy! She had said all chirpy and happy-like), and since he approved, she had worked there since then. She snickered, she hadn't even needed her resume really. He really was a funny sort of man. 

 

“Quit your lollygagging about there Miss!”

“Aye aye Cap'n”

She saluted smartly, and he walked off shaking his head, muttering about smart aleck children while he was busy trying to run a lucrative business. Laughing sunnily at him, she continued stocking the shelves.

 

~

 

“You're late Robby. Again!”

Robert slumped and put his hands on his knees, breathing hard, he looked up apologetically.

“Sorry mate,” he rasped,”I just-”

His friend put out his hand dramatically,

“Don't! Don't say another word! I know, your art was calling you or texting you or whatever it is that happens when you're late to take pictures or to write a song. Jesus Christ.”

Robert grinned crookedly at him.

“Come on Harry, you know how it is, yeah? You write half the music for the band.”

Harry snorted, looking unimpressed. 

“Follow me you kook. The band's getting ready in the back.”

Robert lit up,

“Where the drinks are?”

He said this in a hopeful sounding voice, Harry laughed at him, “None for you, you alcoholic.”

Robert scowled. 

“I'm not an alcoholic! I'm just Irish!”

Harry snorted once more, and didn't say anything else.

Robert made a face at him and followed Harry's brisk pace, opening the door, the whole band looked up, and let out a collective breath, instantly relieved at the arrival of their lead guitarist and singer. Jake, their lanky bassist and Harry's partner cocked an eyebrow at him.

“Oi, you t**d. Quit buggering off when we got a gig.” Robert shrugged.

“Sorry.” he said without really sounding like it, the drummer, Suzie, rolled her eyes,

“You're so absent minded. What were you dreaming up this time Robby darlin'?”

“Prolly something all magical and nancy-like. What else with this one eh?” Jake drawled, strumming his bass. Robert scowled and retorted,

“Shut up! You're the one who's the poofter. Another thing, I'm not the one who cried at the end of P.S. I love you, thank you very much.” 

Jake waved that aside, 

“I cannot tell a lie, I do like the c**k as it were,” he said this with a leer in Harry's direction, who instantly turned pink,”However I'm not the silly romantic you are. If you were any more romantic an' all that garbage, you'd be Suzie, mate.”

She looked up, affronted. 

“Hey! Don't lump me in with him! Just because I have ovaries, doesn't mean I'm romantic like Robby. He's in a class of 'is own, he is.”

Turning red, he turned to his guitar, tuning the strings, 

“Yes well.” was all he could say. 

 

The owner of the lounge walked into the backroom, grabbing a case of beer and he observed the chortling band and the red faced lead singer. 

“Well, are we ready then?” he said drily. Harry grinned at him,

“Yeah, we are Tim. Sorry.”

He made a noise of assent and walked out of the room. Robert followed suit quickly. The rest of the band got up too, Suzie grabbing his camera on the way out,

“Robby,” she called, “Your camera.”

“Oh!”

He quickly turned around, his ears were a bright pink when he glanced down at it, with a sudden almost longing expression. 

“Robby?” Suzie asked, his eyes widened as he flicked them up to her face. He laughed nervously,

“Oh, hah-yeah. Right. Thanks Suze.”

He grabbed it and ran to the stage quickly to plug in his guitar and sound-check. Harry and Jake gave each-other a look as Suzie asked aloud,

“What was that about?”

“Guys.”

They looked at Robert, who looked back at them expectantly. Jake scoffed.

“Like you have any right! You were late!”

 

They bickered back and forth until the owner told them to shut up and play the music like he was paying them too. Or else. 

Later on after a fairly successful show and a few drinks in, the four of them were chatting with Tim at the bar. A group of girls who were giggling in the background walked up to them,

“Hey,” one girl broke out of the group, twirling her blonde hair addressing Robert,”Great show tonight. What's your band's name again?”

Robert gulped down his drink,

“Thanks, yeah, uh, our bands name is, uh still pending. Right now we're stuck on Three Blokes and a Bird. It's working out I guess.”

The blonde girl gave a high pitched giggle,

“You're so funny!” she touched his arm, and flipped her hair back.

“Oh. Thank you.” he blinked at her. 

“Cute too,” she smiled winningly at him, he blushed and looked at his feet.

“Th-thank you miss.” he stammered. Another girl spoke up, 

“Hey, you wanna hang out with us tonight? We're gonna hit the town pretty hard.”Another winning smile. Robert looked up at them with his wide blue eyes, the blonde girls hand still on his arm. He shook his head quickly,

“Oh no, I couldn't possibly. I, um, have a lot of work to do tonight, when I get home. Which will be soon. Very, very soon.”

The two bold girls looked disappointed, and the blonde one shrugged and pulled out her lipstick to write something on a napkin,

“Well, if you change your mind at anytime,' she eyed him up and down,”Anytime at all, call me.”  

Handing the napkin to him, she turned around with all her girlfriends and flounced out. He looked down at the glistening pink numbers and carefully shredded it before putting it in the trash bin. Harry looked on at him in amusement,

“You know she gave you that so she could be your booty call, Robby.”

Robert glanced up at him.

“What? No.” his eyebrows furrowed,”They just wanted to pub crawl yeah?”

 Jake and Suzie giggled mercilessly at him and Harry heaved a great sigh. 

'Yes. That was the part of the booty call part. She wanted to get down and dirty with you man.” 

Robert frowned,

“Well. That's ridiculous. I don't even know her. She didn't even give me a name!”

Tim rolled his eyes, joining in the conversation,

“You are some kind of funny character O'Flaherty.”

“He's catholic.” Suzie added, Jake giggled. “A good catholic boy sure.”

Robert looked scandalized,

“I am not! I haven't gone to confession in a year! And I've had intercourse before marriage-”

“I should hope so,” Jake interjected, slyly looking at Harry. “It's the best kind.”

 

Robert carried on with his list of reasons why he was a bad catholic, motioning for another glass of beer, Suzie gave him an amused glance, while he talked about the sin of coveting in a mournful tone. 

“Coveting huh? And what, pray tell, do you covet Mr. O'Flaherty?”

He laid his head down on the bar,

“Nothing,” he mumbled.

“Mmm.” Suzie cast him a doubtful look, and Jake looking devious (and drunk) grabbed his camera from the bar, 

“Hey!” Robert protested, Jake pushed his hands aside easily,

“Ah ah ah...I wanna see why you're being so protective of your darling camera all of a sudden.”

“I'm always protective of my camera jerk!”

Jake snorted, 

“Yeah well, you usually don't look like you wanna snog it either, do you?”

“I DO NOT.”

“Do too! Do too!”

“Jake! Quit it! Give it back!”

 

Jake danced out of Robert's reach, and went through the pictures in the viewfinder, flicking quickly through the flower pictures, his face wrinkling in distaste at the scenery (he was a city boy through and through). Until he found the snapshots of the angel that read Tolstoy (as far he could tell. He had the same book, maybe, The cover looked similar anyway). Jake's expression changed to one of understanding. Suzie and Harry looked over Jake's shoulder and the three of them gave him knowing looks. 

“I-” he said loudly, “I was just looking for a-a subject. She photographed well.”

“Yeah right, Mr. Covet-y Covetface.” Suzie grinned, “You fancy her! Don't deny it.”

Harry was grinning at him too,

“She's a real looker, she gives a pretty mod vibe. Her dress is so cute.”

Jake stared at him,

“What?” Harry asked defensively, Jake sniggered,

“Mate, you're a fairy of the highest calibre. A veritable girly man. A pansy if you will.”

“S'not what you were saying last night,” Harry muttered darkly, “I distinctly remember hearing that i was 'all man'.” 

Jake coughed and Suzie choked on her drink. Robert used this interlude to take his camera back, cradling it like was a small child. Feeling like he would be red in the face forever, Robert looked down at the stunningly literate nymph he was dying to talk to, even just to say hello. If they held hands he would probably die of happiness. Sighing heavily, he sat down on the bar stool and chugged the rest of his drink down, Jake fell onto the stool next to him,

“Just talk to her. You can be charming when you want to be you know.”

Robert rolled his eyes and slumped down on his seat,

“Chyeah right. What would I even say? Hello darling, my name is Robert and I think I love you.” He snorted, “Yeah, that'll go down real well, won't it?”

Jake gave him a funny look,

“Who said anything about love?”

Turning beet-red, Robert turned on his stool.

“I'm gonna go home”, he muttered, grabbing his camera and messenger bag. “See you guys later.” 

Hands in his pockets, he looked particularly despondent as he walked out of the bar. Jake looked sort of apologetic, Tim chuckled.

“That boy is quite the sensitive soul, isn't he?”

Jake smiled ruefully,

“Yeah, he's a good kid.” Harry nodded his head,

“Right, unlike you Jakey.”

“Fff...whatever doll.”

  Tim shook his head.

“Alright, you rotten lot, take your queue from Robby and get lost.”

After some good-natured complaining, the three of them left the bar, Suzie laughing while Jake felt Harry up.

“How does innocent little Robby live with you, if you're always like this?” She giggled, Jake quirked an eyebrow and grinned rakishly,

“We soundproofed the walls in our bedroom baby. Come over sometime. Witness the effects. Or just witness it. We are some bloody good looking blokes.” Harry shushed him. With another giggle, Suzie gave them both sloppy kisses on the cheek and waved good bye to then as she skipped across the street. Jake wrapped his arm around Harry's shoulder, nuzzling the crook of his neck,

“Shall we go home then, oh darling love of my life? We could get drunk at home too. Really drunk with the liquor that Irish cad has on supply. And then we can perhaps do naughty things to each other,” he gave him a sidelong glance,”'T'will be glorious. You know it will.”

Harry smiled,

“You're ridiculous.”

“Is that a yes?”

“...Maybe.”

Walking along, hands intertwined on the path towards their home. Jake started,

“Oh look, it's Robby dearest.”

 “Oh yeah.” Harry said looking ahead, “Huh...usually he gets home by now.”

“He's dawdling.” Jake sounded smug. “You know what that means.”

Harry looked blank,

“No, I don't actually.”

“When he dawdles, he's definitely in love you know. He just kind of thinks to himself and sighs a lot. Of course, some of his best songs come from that. Who am I to stop creative genius?”

“Well, aren't you just the most supportive friend a boy could ever hope for.” Harry said drily. Jake barked a laugh,

“You know how I am. Always thinking of others.” Harry gave a disbelieving snort,

“Come on lover. Let's go see if he's alright.”

“If we must, you melodramatic worrywart.”

“Ha! I'm the melodramatic one? Doubtful.”

Walking up to Robert, they heard muttered snatches of a one-sided conversation and dodged an errant arm

“So, I see you like books. I also, am literate. In fact, I read the Rolling Stone every time it comes out. Atleast 'til the newspaper man chases me away, ha ha. Ha.”

Robert face-palmed himself and rubbed his eyes tiredly,

“Sweet Jesus. I'm so awkward. So so awkward.”

“And a blasphemer too apparently, you terrible little catholic!” Jake piped up cheerily

Robert nearly jumped out of his skin,

“Jake!” he hissed, “What the hell?!”

Jake released his grip on Harry and slung his arm over Robert's shoulders languidly, grinning at him widely.

“Mate, do I need to teach you how to treat a woman?”

Robert punched him in the side,

“How would you know, you poof?”

“Well,” Jake said grandly, “There was a time when I wasn't sure of my sexuality among other thing and I made sure to experiment heartily with all I could find.” Looking at the distaste on Robert's face he added quickly, ”It was safe you know. I'm a good boy.”

“That's highly doubtful.”

Harry pushed Jake out of the way, 

“Robby, you lovely boy. What Jake is trying to tell you in his own ridiculous, and usually quite unhelpful way, is that if you want, we can  help you woo this young lady who has apparently caught your eye and your heart.”

Harry looked at him earnestly and Robert smiled slightly,

“It's fine Harry. I'm just being stupid over someone I've never even met. I mean, really. What are the chances of anything becoming a reality? Or,” he sighed, “Worse, it could happen to become some sort of reality, and she's not as wonderful or amazing as I've set herself  up to be in my head. I tend to do that. You know I do.”

“Robby..” Harry started, he was cut off,

“No, it's fine. I'll just use my imagination. It's all I'm really good at when it comes to relationships anyway.”

Jake frowned along with Harry.

“Oh look. Here we are. Our house.”

Robert smiled at them,

“Well, I'll be in my room with my headphones on. The really big ones. Turned up quite high. If you were wondering.”

They watched him walk into the house, Jake took the opportunity to whisper sweet nothings (and quite a few somethings) into Harry's ear. His better half gasped at him,

“Jake! Could you forget your raging libido for a minute?! I think Robby really needs a friend right now!”

“Uh, no he doesn't. He basically told us to have sex. So let's go have sex. Really Harry, and people assume you're the smart one.”

Harry sniffed at him and walked past him into the house. Jake quickly jogged after him, itching (in various places if you catch my drift) to change his mind. It didn't take very long if you were wondering. While he assumed they were having a riotous good time, Robert sat back in his computer chair, uploading his pictures to the hard drive. Set to the romantic overtures of a musical he couldn't quite remember watching, he watched his photos whiz by on the screen. He hadn't quite remembered taking so many pictures of her. They were quite nice, he thought, pleased with himself. An image of himself presenting these to her came unbidden, her surprise at the present was a lovely countenance to take in. Then her furious rage at being spied on, no not spied he saw his imagination-self try to explain. It was more like the use of artistic license and coincidence. She then beat him up. It was very embarrassing, with all the imagination-people laughing at his misfortune and heartbreak. He shuddered. How awful.

Turning his computer away from his bed, he took off his headphones, happy to hear nothing but silence, thanks to the soundproofing of the love shack as Jake so lovingly called it, much to Harry's chagrin. Pulling off his clothes until he was just in his boxers, he crawled into bed and pulled the covers over his head. Maybe he would just keep to himself, and not talk to that girl. Ever. 

 

Well, he amended, he still had his dreams, silly though they may be. His eyes fluttered shut, his last thought was that he wished he knew that girl's name atleast. 

 

 End First Chapter. Edit heavily later. Find less awkward sentence tenses. Add more descriptions. Try to add on to Penelope's part.  So on and so forth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2009 Autumn Grace


Author's Note

Autumn Grace
So I know the paragraphs are kind of awkward and that I still need to edit it before it's a final draft, but please tell me what you think of the interactions between characters and dialogue. And scene set up along with descriptive language and all that. The whole she-bang as it were. Go for it and please enjoy! (No really, Please haha)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmm...seems like it will turn out to be a very good story...

Might wanna work on the paragraph spacing but other than that its really good ^^

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 21, 2009

Author

Autumn Grace
Autumn Grace

Canada



About
I am 18 years old, and I quite enjoy writing, drawing what I write about, watching far too much television than I should, movies of most genres, Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Ber.. more..