For the love of war

For the love of war

A Story by Rea

                           For the love of war


                         Everything in war is very simple. But the simplest thing is difficult.

                                                  Carl Von Clausevitz  

                                                                                                                 

Throughout ancient history countless battles took place, some were witnessed by our ancestors others have become more like myths portraying legendary army personals, wars have never ceased to take place, some maneuver wars which are fought to destroy the enemy’s will to fight, however most uptil now would be categorized as attrition warfare which is fought to destroy the enemy’s ability to fight. Where numbers hold a huge importance

when we talk about ancient history in regards to war and politics many names come to mind the likes of Napoleon, Montgomery, Alexander, Constantine, Patton, however, two of the most interesting personalities that come to mind are Sun Tzu who was a military general representing  the state of Chi during the age of warring states in China  this was hundreds of years before Christ and Carl Von Clauswitz, who was a German military theorist, and a Prussian soldier. The area that was known as Prussia during the time of world war I and world war II is now known as Poland. The reason why these two personalities hold such importance in our society today is that they changed the way many perceived war, their works have been translated into man languages and are widely read all over the world today.

 

Both Sun Tzu and Von Clausevitz are widely recognized for their military strategies and intellect, they both served the military for most part of their lives, Clausevitz in particular was assigned at the age of 14. he defines war as an act of force to compel our enemy to do our will thus force is means of war and to impose our will on the enemy is its object. Both Sun Tzu and Clausewitz were experts and highly skilled at the science and art of using all of the forces of their state and nation to execute military siege. they both had the drive to execute plans as effectively as possible, they knew what was required, the basic key concepts in the overall planning of large scale combat operations, to narrow it down both men were successful  military strategists

 

Sun Tzu and Von Clausewitz are recognized for their writings The art of war and Magnum Opus better known as ‘on war’  these books are the core curriculum in many military schools, The art of war in particular is compulsory read  for the CIA, and the military schools of the United States, the USA understands the importance of the teaching of Sun Tzu and Clausevitz, which I believe is the secret to their success in war and politics

 

I personally find Sun Tzu’s theories more relatable to what is happening in the world today. If one can understand Sun Tzu’s strategies and know how to apply them effectively I think we’d be able to make more sense of the past politically backed attacks on Iraq, Afganistan what we see now  in Syria, and the recent drone attack on the Pakistani border, it would explain the whole idea and concept behind war on terror. It would explain why the Americans lost in Vietnam in 1973. If we conduct a survey today on which strategist would you agree with more; you’ll probably find more westerners would say Clausewitz although, these are the same people who follow the concepts and theories of Sun Tzu in war, politics and business.  

 

 

Although Clauswitz had some interesting ideas I believe Sun Tzu’s book the art of war is the secret to success, his teachings are the key not just to winning battle but they can be applied on our everyday lives that is if success is the only motive. Another reason why I agree more with Sun Tzu is I like how he puts a lot of emphasis on the seriousness of war and how he proved his point to the king of Wu when challenged by the king to train the palace women into warriors, women who knew nothing about war or weapons or what goes on outside the palace walls, Sun Tzu accepted the challenge he simply shows the women what the important maneuvers are, he chooses the most senior women to serve as platoon leaders incharges them with making sure that discipline is observed in their units, but when Sun Tzu orders the exercise to begin the women simply laugh Sun Tzu says maybe my instructions were not clear to you let me rephrase them for you in simple language, he told them when you hear the sound of the drum you must assemble as soldiers with your spears and your swords. The second time the drum beats and the women simply laugh again Sun Tzu’s says in the art of war if the orders are not clear and the commands not explicit it is the fault of the general and if the orders are clear and he knows his orders have been clear, its the fault of the subordinate officers that the orders are not obeyed, there is only one way that Sun Tzu can convince these women how serious he is he beheads the two women he appointed as platoon leader on the spot, to Sun Tzu war is a matter of life and death and this is the key principle of his teachings sun tzu appoints two new platoon leaders and this time when the women hear the drum thye assemble with their weapons the women now follow his orders without hesitation. although some may call this act barbaric but when it comes to war, it is a matter of life and death, and once this is understood it is then a fight for survival which is victory in itself. Sun Tzu goes to war with 33000 soldiers against the state of Chu, Chu had an army that was ten times larger than Sun Tzu’s army, Sun Tzu won the war his emphasis were on maneuver, deception, spies and knowing your enemy just as well as you know yourself.

 

In conclusion to that if I had to choose between Clausewitz and Sun Tzu in the sense who strikes out to me as the more competent and successful strategist. It would have to be Sun Tzu, for reasons mentioned above, I believe if you follow Sun Tzu’s principles even with the least amount of resources and man power you will be victorious his ideas on victory and command are particularly what caught my attention. However, If you ignore his principles you do so at your own peril, and you will most definitely be defeated.

 

                                 

© 2011 Rea


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The Sun Tzu book is above my computer with my other favorites. I will research Clausewitz. I like how you organized your thoughts. Someone told me last week. Two great wars. I told her un-known numbers of wars and death in the history of man. Land and wealth had control man for 10,000 year. Thank you for the mind opening to thoughts story. Thank you for a outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is really good and sad!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Sun Tsu proved that embracing a concept is the totality of life for a warrior...embrace with that which you would willingly lose...Life...country and family...less all be lost with victory a fruitless sacrifice .Well illustrated.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Sun Tzu book is above my computer with my other favorites. I will research Clausewitz. I like how you organized your thoughts. Someone told me last week. Two great wars. I told her un-known numbers of wars and death in the history of man. Land and wealth had control man for 10,000 year. Thank you for the mind opening to thoughts story. Thank you for a outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

577 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 9, 2011
Last Updated on December 11, 2011

Author

Rea
Rea

About
Im a student, I started writing not more than a year ago, I have yet ALOT!!!! to learn about the craft. I particularly enjoy reading poetry, all kinds of poems more..

Writing
Words Words

A Poem by Rea



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


CRIMSON CRIMSON

A Poem by Rene Velez