The boy with flags

The boy with flags

A Screenplay by Avanthika
"

Just a short screenplay written to highlight the peoples attitude towards nation. The climax is the three questions that a boy asks a man. In three simple sentences he conveys his message.

"

People had die for this land to get back. After years of sufferings, battles, pain and agony we had gained this land, the land of Mother India. The ones who had once sacrificed for this land have gone to the advanced stage of selfish, egotistic, greedy people.

The three lines said by this young boy would make everyone nod their head over his opinion.


Sitting on the side seat of the bus I was watching the scenery outside. In a minute the traffic light turned to red and in a second I could see a pile of vehicles lining up on the road. It was at this moment a small boy came holding the little flags of India. Seeing the heavy traffic, he was delighted, perhaps he would have thought he can make use of the time to sell his flags. To his awe, even after approaching 40 plus vehicles over there not a single flag got sold. It was then his eyes fell on the new Volkswagen Vento blue colour car, new because it had that shining that every car has on its first day of drive. With high hopes and a sigh of relief he went near to it . But the man inside wearing his black sunspecs didn't bothered to open the window of the car. But the boy was adamant. He kept on knocking on his glasses and the man finally had to open. Before the man could say anything, the boys query made the man buy all the flags. Though a marketing technique but what the boy said would ring bells in our ears too.


The three questions that he asked him,


Sir you can spend lakhs to buy this car but not a rupee to buy India’s flag.  You buy cars add more profits to the millionaires but can’t you spend any rupee to make the life of a poor? You adore international brands and ignore your own country fellows, Is that how you take pride in being an Indian?


Before the boy could speak anything more the man bought all the flags as he was embarrassed totally by now. The smile seen in the boys face made the man smile too. Co incidentally the green light appeared as if it was the gods green signal agreeing with the boy’s vision. 

© 2014 Avanthika


Author's Note

Avanthika
Thought of writing like it really happened in front of my eyes, just tried to convey the message through simple sentences. How far do you think it worked?

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very well written. It reminds me definitely of Kipling or Orwell (because of his essay on shooting the elephant). I can tell that your English has room for improvement but you made this very easy to read and it is clear that you put forth a good deal of time with it, so I applaud you for that.
I really enjoyed this; well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thank you so much Mila, you inspired me to read Kiplings works. :)



Reviews

it worked for me...but the thing is I feel disappointed when I saw Indian flags are lying down on the streets and roads...btw the boy here makes good point..

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
GA
There are most of boys who works like this having seen them i am very sad

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really liked the messages behind this piece. I think we are more into supporting the global chains instead of small owned businesses. I always think that no matter how much money one has, one always has their own way of prioritizing how that money will be spent. It seems the poor will give all they have, while the rich give a little just to make themselves feel better that somehow they participated in helping someone out that's not in their caste.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Avanthika

9 Years Ago

i agree with you Lyan, thanks frnd for reading
it was as if i was there too. very well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thank you frnd :)
This is really nice work. I think you're an amazing writer.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much james , your words make me happy
Hello, Avanthika,

I fear this is just prose and not a screenplay, so please change the description. I could not let this pass, as the others have.

The issue you want to raise is good. Even I am against this raid of globalization that has robbed the locals of their deserved, hard-worked livelihood. There are grammatical errors and reading your About section, I have to break this truth to you: To become a writer, you must become a reader.
Your reading is forced because you only wish to write, but tell me, when you learned to write, did you not learn to read first?
Think about it and only if you wish to read from your heart and soul, shall I suggest some good literature to improve and expand your literary horizons.

Take care.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

i would very well welcome your suggestion, kindly suggest
Very well written. It reminds me definitely of Kipling or Orwell (because of his essay on shooting the elephant). I can tell that your English has room for improvement but you made this very easy to read and it is clear that you put forth a good deal of time with it, so I applaud you for that.
I really enjoyed this; well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thank you so much Mila, you inspired me to read Kiplings works. :)
this is nice.
i don't appreciate this kind of plot(for personal reasons).
but you have done a good job here.
it's good!
:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

glad you liked it.
Pushkar Prabhat

9 Years Ago

:)...........
very touching piece Avanthika and important points are highlighted....

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thank you mayank, thanks a lot frnd
Very nice imagery Avanthika. Puts me in the mind of a scene from something Rudyard Kipling might write. I think the problem here is a 'lost in translation' issue. English is clearly not your first language and to be able to accomplish something like this in a second language is remarkable. You have grand visions and good ideas, as well as good and righteous morals, yet the language barrier well let you down in a place like this unfortunately. I'm not sure if you're studying English or want to, but if you want to write in English i would suggest finding someone to collaborate with to edit and fine tune your work. Just to smooth out all the grammar and perhaps make a few adjustments for a westernized audience. I'm not sure if this is something you want to do, but your work (in English) would greatly benefit from it. In the meantime, I would try reading some Kipling/Dahl for short story format, Dickens if you want to work on your vocabulary a little more. Always happy to lend an honest critique, I hope the greatness in your mind finds its way on to the paper it deserves :)

-Robin

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

Iam much honoured when you compared my scene with something of Mr.Kiplings, indeed writing has alway.. read more
Christopher Robin

9 Years Ago

The authors i mentioned will help you get into the correct sort of format and style, as for the gram.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1957 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2014
Last Updated on October 11, 2014
Tags: nation, flag, sacrifice, independence, attitude

Author

Avanthika
Avanthika

Canada



About
I'm a 19 year old classics student (study of Ancient Greece & Rome + Latin & Ancient Greek), and I like to read and write in my spare time. more..

Writing
chapter-2 chapter-2

A Chapter by Avanthika


chapter-3 chapter-3

A Chapter by Avanthika



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Eye Contact Eye Contact

A Poem by Shae