A Place called Home.

A Place called Home.

A Story by AzureVampire
"

A young boy in his second year in high school is the new kid on the block, with a unique gift. He has been hiding this gift his whole life but in his new environment, it might prove to be a challenge.

"
Kovis began to get anxious as his new home drew ever closer, his Aunt was humming along to the radio with her usual chipper attitude. The singular road had been a long and dull one with very little exciting things for Kovis to occupy his thoughts with. Thick clouds had plagued the entire drive from the city, often the Ancients had gifted them with their tears on the journey. As they reached the top of a hill that overlooked the valley he would call home, his mouth parted and he spoke for the first time since they had left the city. "Wow.." the word hung in the air outlined with awe and surged with anxious anticipation.

 A rather large town sat nuzzled into the opposite hill which closer resembled a cliff with an outrageously lush green
face. The town stretched from the cliff all the way to the huge lake that flanked the valley. The large cliff like walls circled all the way around the lake, although the cliffs seem to fade as they reach the other side of the lake. The lush green cliff meshed with the azure waters created an amazing aquamarine horizon line. The road split the waves of trees that encompassed the valley. Bushes and underbrush layer the ground between the trees for as far as the eye could see.

The sun had broken the mighty clouds as Kovis and his Aunt peaked the hill, flawless rays fell upon the crisp cerulean lake. A long and broad beach stretched down the shoreline, small figures dotted the beach sporadically. Lovely bronze sand kissed the lake with each wave that danced across its surface.

"We live here?" Kovis asked his Aunt eagerly.
She chuckled and smiled. "Glad you decided to join me, Hun. Yes, the house is just a little way from the town." Kovis was glued to the window, completely entranced by the beauty of the valley. Once the car was headed downhill the rest of the trip ended all too quickly. The main road into the valley forked at the base of the hill, left was to the town and right toward the lake; they slowed and turned right at the fork and the asphalt turned into gravel after about a quarter mile and after another mile turned into dirt. They drove down this road for a couple miles until they came to a small bridge that was old and rickety but somehow managed under the car's weight, after another half mile the car rolled up to the edge of water of the lake.

"Hold on Kovis!" His Aunt warned him with the glee of a child. She slammed the car in reverse and hit the gas, the wheels spun and
the car lurched backwards; she quickly turned the wheel toward Kovis which sent the car spinning into a bush that gave way to reveal an uphill path. She set the gear into drive and switched to four wheel drive, hit the gas again and they barreled up the path, quick turns left and right sent Kovis against the door and bouncing around. His aunt giggled loudly as the road evened out and came down and met with the other road after slipping out of another large bush.

"Are you crazy?! You almost killed us!" he exclaimed, while catching his breath. His Aunt tried to compose herself but seeing her stoic nephew unraveled and out of breath almost brought her to tears. "Oh, you are so cute when you get worked up." she sighed and ruffled his long wavy black hair, he flailed at her hand and sunk down in his seat with his arms crossed and tried pouting but the joy of the ride quickly caught up to him and he found himself smiling. They finally pulled up to the house and Kovis stared at a large two story lush green house with brown trimming to match the trees that sheltered it from the road.

His Aunt walked up behind him and put her hand on his shoulder, "Welcome home." she handed him a key and patted his shoulder and said "Let me show you where you'll be staying." As she started walking up a trail of dark stones that wrapped around the house. She pointed at a separate cottage with matching colors and a small chimney. Kovis jumped and ran to the cottage and unlocked it and peered inside to see it completely furnished with a brown couch, a big desk with a new desktop and a flat screen TV hung up in front of the couch. A large black fireplace was nested in the corner opposite of the desk. The kitchen connected to the living room with a fridge and stove, four cabinets and four drawers with a pantry next to the fridge. Kovis ran inside and scrambled around overwhelmed with excitement, he bolted into the other room and jumped onto his queen sized bed and sunk into the memory foam. His Aunt followed him and leaned against the door frame and smiled until he rolled over. "Now we have to talk seriously okay? Your main priority is school until you graduate, you will repay me for all this by doing any chores I ask of you. Which will include you helping people around the town.  I want to know if you are leaving the house with friends or otherwise. A quick text should suffice don't you agree?" She explained as he nodded and then retorted "I don't have a pho-" He was cut off as she held up a phone, and tossed the smart phone to him and he caught it, wide eyed and speechless. She turned around and yelled back, "Don't thank me yet, you will work it all off!"

It took a couple minutes for everything to sink in before Kovis jumped up and ran to the computer desk and turned on the computer. He spent the next couple hours exploring his new home, personalizing his phone and computer and learning where everything was located. Kovis even tried starting a fire which didn't work too well the first couple tries. Kovis wondered to himself while he stoked the fire, "I wonder what school is going to be like.."

© 2013 AzureVampire


Author's Note

AzureVampire
Part One, let me know what you all think! *Revised*

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

508 Views
Added on October 7, 2013
Last Updated on October 26, 2013
Tags: Adventure, oasis, feels

Author

AzureVampire
AzureVampire

Sacramento, CA



About
I am an inspiring writer that is trying to get my creations out into the world. I am very passionate about writing and have so many ideas but I need some helping hands and criticism to get me there! .. more..

Writing