The Great Wall of China

The Great Wall of China

A Story by Brette Medb
"

A 55 fiction... a short story challenge my teacher gave me to create a story with a beginning middle and end in 55 words.

"

The Sun rising on the horizon, my heart pounding, praying a new shift of guards was not yet

patrolling. Scurrying across the crumbling stones I heard the sound of metal scraping metal too late. I turned my head exposing the vulnerable flesh as the blade slashed my throat. By dying, I escape my peasant life.

© 2008 Brette Medb


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

sweet flash fict, i saw the blood spray, a good clean wound in our minds.

Posted 15 Years Ago


well I think you met the challenge. I find the locale interesting - of course this does create a myriad of questions - why was he scaling the wall? for one. That is also what makes it a most interesting if short piece.

laura

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think you could turn this into something larger. The narrator seemed like a thief scaling the castle walls. There's not really much I can say about plot or character development or dialogue, but I will say that you wrote this well with such few words. It's definitely left open for interpretation. I think you should expound on this brief snapshot and show us more. We want to read more!

All I would say is edit this so the break between lines disappears.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wow, Brette, this is awesome. I'd definitely say that you rose to the challenge and conquered. It's so descriptive and I really could see it happening.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I have always enjoyed writing short pieces. I feel that shorter pieces leave a greater impact on the reader than longer, dragged out stories.

To the point: this was a tremendous. As I said before, shorter pieces leave a greater impact on the reader, and this certainly is a good example.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I like. It has been far to long since I have read your words but I ma so glad to see them back again. I think you did a great job working with in the limits but were still able to capture a story that played in our mind as the reader. Always such a pleasure to visit your realm of words and dreams.


Great Job!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


I never got such good assignments when I was in school, you did it proud. Nice work

Posted 16 Years Ago


for 55 words you did really well. You told a complete story in a few lines. Brilliant!


Posted 16 Years Ago


Good start, middle and end...55 words agreed with you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


That was an incredible adventure in 55 words! You're amazing! You really were able to capture a glimpse of history and ancient life so succinctly!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

500 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 7, 2008
Last Updated on April 7, 2008

Author

Brette Medb
Brette Medb

BOSTON



About
So many things have changed and I'm just trying to catch my bearings. All I want is to start writing again and not lose myself to all this change. more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by Brette Medb



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..